Better Call Saul: Season 4

/dev/null

12 hours ago, eball said:

I love her character (and enjoy watching every scene of hers as well for different reasons), but I cringe at the thought of how she will "disappear" from Jimmy's life.

Couldn't agree more.  However it goes down it's going to be devastating to watch.

24 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Couldn't agree more.  However it goes down it's going to be devastating to watch.

I think she will dump him as he turns more and more into Saul the scumbag.

They gave it away with that scene at the end of the first episode.  But then she came out in the 2nd episode swinging at Howard and hiding the check/letter from Jimmy in order to protect her man.

So who knows.  I just hope they don't kill her off.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Their voices are very similar

LOL.   I thought you meant in terms of content, not how they actually sound.

You're right; they both have that same gravely sort of broken up thing going, like they need a cough drop and could stand to clear their throat.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I think she will dump him as he turns more and more into Saul the scumbag.

They gave it away with that scene at the end of the first episode.  But then she came out in the 2nd episode swinging at Howard and hiding the check/letter from Jimmy in order to protect her man.

So who knows.  I just hope they don't kill her off.

I'm the opposite; I think they almost have to, to "complete" Jimmy turning away from everything he was before.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm the opposite; I think they almost have to, to "complete" Jimmy turning away from everything he was before.

I I had to venture a guess, Kim's downfall will be a result of Jimmy's ties to Mike and Mike's ties to Gus and Gus' ties to to the Cartel

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

LOL.   I thought you meant in terms of content, not how they actually sound.

You're right; they both have that same gravely sort of broken up thing going, like they need a cough drop and could stand to clear their throat.

I think Jimmy could easily learn the patter with incentive....

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It wasn't?

What did I miss?

His reading of it was too formal for the situation and his style, “no date/ new paragraph.....” like he was dictating to a secretary or a tape recorder for a secretary to later transcribe

she overreacted to the letter

and that would be the content of what super-perfectionist and angry Chuck would leave behind for his suicide?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

His reading of it was too formal for the situation and his style, “no date/ new paragraph.....” like he was dictating to a secretary or a tape recorder for a secretary to later transcribe

and that would be the content of what super-perfectionist and angry Chuck would leave behind for his suicide?

Now that I think of it, the part when he says new paragraph didnt sound right, who would just say that when reading a letter? But that could be something that would come up when you are dictating something into a computer that would type it out for you. And Jimmy mentions how it's not dated which seems unlike something someone like Chuck would do.

This could be the start of something that drives the wedge between them? She writes a new letter because she assumes that the original one chuck wrote would devastate or hurt him more, so she tries to help Jimmy by now making him think his brother really was proud of him. She got all emotional because Jimmy didnt react to it like she hoped and didnt seem to have any emotion to it at all.

I think this season will be the year that Jimmy fully breaks ties with everyone in his life and completes the transition to Saul. Once his suspension is over and he can practice law again he will stop being Jimmy and will be separated from his old life and be Saul.

I dont think Kim will die or be killed, I think she and Jimmy have a big fall out and she leaves, maybe going back home. Was she not from Missouri? (I thought she said in one episode she was) maybe that's why he ends up going back there after breaking bad to try and find her and reconnect?

Last night's episode was pretty good, for a second when Gus went to the school I thought maybe it was going to involve a Walter cameo. And I would have been emotional too like Nacho when they were in the desert setting up the 'gang attack murder'. They could have atleats destroyed a crappier car. All those bullet holes.......

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

I'd like to know how long he worked at learning that song...that would be no easy feat AT all!!

he never can do less than steal every scene he shows up in

it's not that hard for those of us who absorb song lyrics, it might be harder to do it when $$$ is on the line for your job than absorbing in leisure hours

oh i agree, memorizing song lyrics can be somewhat easy, but they had the song coming through the headphones so he had to sing it correctly, on tempo, and it's not like it's just song lyrics, it seemed to be the periodic table so some of those words are hard to pronounce.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he never can do less than steal every scene he shows up in

it's not that hard for those of us who absorb song lyrics, it might be harder to do it when $$$ is on the line for your job than absorbing in leisure hours

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Now that I think of it, the part when he says new paragraph didnt sound right, who would just say that when reading a letter? But that could be something that would come up when you are dictating something into a computer that would type it out for you. And Jimmy mentions how it's not dated which seems unlike something someone like Chuck would do.

This could be the start of something that drives the wedge between them? She writes a new letter because she assumes that the original one chuck wrote would devastate or hurt him more, so she tries to help Jimmy by now making him think his brother really was proud of him. She got all emotional because Jimmy didnt react to it like she hoped and didnt seem to have any emotion to it at all.

I think this season will be the year that Jimmy fully breaks ties with everyone in his life and completes the transition to Saul. Once his suspension is over and he can practice law again he will stop being Jimmy and will be separated from his old life and be Saul.

I dont think Kim will die or be killed, I think she and Jimmy have a big fall out and she leaves, maybe going back home. Was she not from Missouri? (I thought she said in one episode she was) maybe that's why he ends up going back there after breaking bad to try and find her and reconnect?

Last night's episode was pretty good, for a second when Gus went to the school I thought maybe it was going to involve a Walter cameo. And I would have been emotional too like Nacho when they were in the desert setting up the 'gang attack murder'. They could have atleats destroyed a crappier car. All those bullet holes.......

Jimmy is a psychopath, but a fun one to cheer for on TV, I don't want people like that in my life. May not care at all about Chuck gone, he is just looking to satisfy his next itch.

i'll wild guess that she got an addressed envelope to Jimmy in the archives of the courthouse and wrote a fake nice letter.  Chuck wouldn't have forgotten THE DATE on a letter.... (i have worked with a lot of Chucks...) A Chuck probably had a fact to every year on the Gregian and prior calendars as a mnemonic device.

Kim is a different kind of brilliance and grind, she isn't a Chuck, and wouldn't even think of that kind of detail as being critical for a letter to a brother.

could they sneak Mr. Cranston into a role without it getting leaked?

someone noted 17 words were spoken in the first 6 minutes, a fine minimalist performance, but the dialogue is the only thing i care about when i rewatch during the week.

13 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

oh i agree, memorizing song lyrics can be somewhat easy, but they had the song coming through the headphones so he had to sing it correctly, on tempo, and it's not like it's just song lyrics, it seemed to be the periodic table so some of those words are hard to pronounce.

i think i have every lyric and bass/drum pattern for every decent pop song from 1956 to 1986 in my skull, have won a few contests, sadly not bringing millions....

all of us chem students had it memorized to a good extent, something you just did, i can rattle off the top 40 right now despite not thinking about it for 30 years.

but he's a great character actor and that stuff is old hat to them, they can rattle off an entire whole play of Shakespeare and perform it differently every night.

Edited by row_33

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Kim didn't write it. It was simply a letter Chuck had wrote much earlier. He must have wrote it when Jimmy was still working in the mail room at HHM.

For some reason, the letter may have been filed at the courthouse and Kim knew about it, so she switched it out.

Her reaction and Jimmy's reaction were both genuine. It just shows Jimmy's indifference. It would have been very anticlimactic if not for Kim's reaction. Kim's reaction represents the normal world where the letter is an emotional event. Jimmy's reaction represents Saul's world where the letter is just an annoyance.

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Kim didn't write it. It was simply a letter Chuck had wrote much earlier. He must have wrote it when Jimmy was still working in the mail room at HHM.

For some reason, the letter may have been filed at the courthouse and Kim knew about it, so she switched it out.

Her reaction and Jimmy's reaction were both genuine. It just shows Jimmy's indifference. It would have been very anticlimactic if not for Kim's reaction. Kim's reaction represents the normal world where the letter is an emotional event. Jimmy's reaction represents Saul's world where the letter is just an annoyance.

it's hard to square Jimmy's indifference though.... he went out of his way to crush Chuck, i guess he is indifferent now that Chuck is gone?

I don't buy her character or acting, it's hard to present a woman in TV or movies that is believable.  She is better than Walt's wife in BB though.

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's hard to square Jimmy's indifference though.... he went out of his way to crush Chuck, i guess he is indifferent now that Chuck is gone?

I don't buy her character or acting, it's hard to present a woman in TV or movies that is believable.  She is better than Walt's wife in BB though.

wut?

Turns out it wasn't so easy to learn :D

https://tv.avclub.com/david-costabile-on-singing-and-memorizing-his-way-throu-1828478066?utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_content=Main

David Costabile: That f***ng song. Holy s**t. I sang it until my brain bled. 

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

i think i have every lyric and bass/drum pattern for every decent pop song from 1956 to 1986 in my skull, have won a few contests, sadly not bringing millions....

all of us chem students had it memorized to a good extent, something you just did, i can rattle off the top 40 right now despite not thinking about it for 30 years.

but he's a great character actor and that stuff is old hat to them, they can rattle off an entire whole play of Shakespeare and perform it differently every night.

10 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

just beat me to it...

-------------------------------

• Mr. Neff is listening to a Stephen Covey seminar about the Time Management Matrix, which directs you to place tasks into one of four quadrants defined by urgent or not urgent on one axis, and important or not important on the other. I don’t remember Covey being very au courant in the 2000s (as opposed to the nineties), but Neff Copiers does seem to be trapped in an earlier era. Even the owner’s marital troubles are right out of a fifties sitcom.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I dont agree, I think she did write it, too many mistakes in it to be from Chick, and even when he was in the mailroom, Chuck was only proud of Jimmy being in the mailroom and not becoming a lawyer.

Je also always seemed jealous of Jimmy being the younger brother that the parents loved, that letter seemed to be too out of character for Chuck as something he would have wrote, even if it was years ago.

It also seemed to be out of character for Kim to get that emotional over it just by what it said and her knowing what Chuck was like.

Neff can only imagine the lamest pizza possible, but They Pass the Savings On To You!!!

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont agree, I think she did write it, too many mistakes in it to be from Chick, and even when he was in the mailroom, Chuck was only proud of Jimmy being in the mailroom and not becoming a lawyer.

Je also always seemed jealous of Jimmy being the younger brother that the parents loved, that letter seemed to be too out of character for Chuck as something he would have wrote, even if it was years ago.

It also seemed to be out of character for Kim to get that emotional over it just by what it said and her knowing what Chuck was like.

Kim is cracking up and Jimmy is incapable of thinking about anything but his next grift...

even if he's just a Happy Wanderer's Cousin or whatever

hope this doesn't inspire people to start with the Hummells again...  :(

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

just beat me to it...

-------------------------------

• Mr. Neff is listening to a Stephen Covey seminar about the Time Management Matrix, which directs you to place tasks into one of four quadrants defined by urgent or not urgent on one axis, and important or not important on the other. I don’t remember Covey being very au courant in the 2000s (as opposed to the nineties), but Neff Copiers does seem to be trapped in an earlier era. Even the owner’s marital troubles are right out of a fifties sitcom.

Wonder if that sitcom would have been like 'Lady House'

Uncle Jack just cant win. Marital issues, tiny hands......

• Haha (+1) 1

the best theory on the courthouse visit is that the MV expansion plans are not in her workpile, and the whole thing was way too large for one injured lawyer in the first place, so something must be afoot without Kim?

and the eerier music started with the calling out of her hometown....

There are a few theories floating around regarding the letter.  Kim faked it.  No, Chuck wrote it, but it was from an earlier time when Jimmy still worked in the mail room.  

The letter is hand written.  How would Kim fake Chuck's handwriting?  Jimmy would recognize it either way.  I think the letter is genuine.  I predicted it would be kind and not attacking several pages ago in this thread! 

Here is what confused me in this episode:  During the architectural model scene and then at the end of the episode, we see Kim sort of freaking out.  I'm not sure why she did so in either instance.

I think she saw the expansion plans for Mesa Verde and realized she had just gone through a lot of work for a small expansion...now this guy is trying to take over the world.  I think it seems overwhelming to Kim at the time and she has been through a lot lately.

But then we see the letter reading scene and Kim totally loses it, despite her normal tough, hard, professional demeanor.  I think she is again focusing on the total lack of empathy or emotion that Jimmy showed while reading, and she realizes her life is about to take a big turn to the big time.  I think she realizes Jimmy is a small time hustler and she knows their paths are going to have to diverge.  Hence the emotion and tears.

I'd be curious to hear other people's theories on why she spaced out during the model scene, or why the emotion at the end.

I think she is going to dump Jimmy and she knows it, and that is how she will fade out of the story.

That dumping may be the final straw that makes Jimmy become Saul the total scumbag. 

Edited by Fadingpain

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

There are a few theories floating around regarding the letter.  Kim faked it.  No, Chuck wrote it, but it was from an earlier time when Jimmy still worked in the mail room.  

The letter is hand written.  How would Kim fake Chuck's handwriting?  Jimmy would recognize it either way.  I think the letter is genuine.  I predicted it would be kind and not attacking several pages ago in this thread! 

Here is what confused me in this episode:  During the architectural model scene and then at the end of the episode, we see Kim sort of freaking out.  I'm not sure why she did so in either instance.

I think she saw the expansion plans for Mesa Verde and realized she had just gone through a lot of work for a small expansion...now this guy is trying to take over the world.  I think it seems overwhelming to Kim at the time and she has been through a lot lately.

But then we see the letter reading scene and Kim totally loses it, despite her normal tough, hard, professional demeanor.  I think she is again focusing on the total lack of empathy or emotion that Jimmy showed while reading, and she realizes her life is about to take a big turn to the big time.  I think she realizes Jimmy is a small time hustler and she knows their paths are going to have to diverge.  Hence the emotion and tears.

I'd be curious to hear other people's theories on why she spaced out during the model scene, or why the emotion at the end.

I think she is going to dump Jimmy and she knows it, and that is how she will fade out of the story.

That dumping may be the final straw that makes Jimmy become Saul the total scumbag. 

it always fun to enter speculation, then they do something completely different on us

Jimmy may have pretended that was the contents of the letter...

that was a tough way for Kim to find out she was not privy to major expansion plans, that would take a whole team of other lawyers to work on, especially if she was recuperating for a few weeks or months away from the file, her whole life is just being drawn along now and she realizes it.

what local firm could put a team on the expansion plans???

that's a dedicated vet they have there, drawn into all those vicious circles

sucks to be Nacho.

Edited by row_33

I enjoyed the scene leading up to the shooting of Nacho.  They do that a lot.  No dialogue for an extended period and you are just following along, piecing together what's happening.

The torso shot to Nacho was tough to take!  And then they tell him to make the call before he passes out.  Easily could have died out there in the desert and no one really cared.

It does suck to be Nacho.  Should have gone into the family business. 

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Did he say the letter was handwritten? I dont remember that. There has to be more to it then just a nice letter from Chuck from an earlier time. That doesnt seem to fit the show. This is a show that went from him writing a will for a client including her Humboldt collection to a future season where he is stealing one from someone else. Nothing is done just because.

As for the expansion scene, definitely think that Kim is freaking out cause they just dropped this info on her of massive expansion after how the original expansion was wearing her out and nearly killed her. I dont know if another firm or someone else worked with them or if this was just the owners grand plans he just dropped on her of what he wants to do going forward.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Did he say the letter was handwritten? I dont remember that. There has to be more to it then just a nice letter from Chuck from an earlier time. That doesnt seem to fit the show. This is a show that went from him writing a will for a client including her Humboldt collection to a future season where he is stealing one from someone else. Nothing is done just because.

As for the expansion scene, definitely think that Kim is freaking out cause they just dropped this info on her of massive expansion after how the original expansion was wearing her out and nearly killed her. I dont know if another firm or someone else worked with them or if this was just the owners grand plans he just dropped on her of what he wants to do going forward.

I thought you could actually see that it was hand written, and it was the sort of thing that would be hand written.

The content of the letter does suggest it is from an earlier time and not right at the end of Chuck's life.  

Perhaps the reason Kim broke down as she did is precisely b/c the letter is authentic.  She would be the one to know that...

The letter was supportive and had a positive tone.  And yet Jimmy reads it quickly, totally devoid of emotion.  I think that freaked her out, just as his singing in the kitchen freaked her out at the end of the other episode.  Both times Jimmy basically saying, without using any words, that he is totally emotionally detached from his brother and doesn't really care that he is dead.

I still have it on the DVR; I'll watch that scene again and see why I thought it was a hand written note.

It doesn't matter if it's typed or not. Kim's not just going to write a fake letter. She would simply withhold it from Jimmy until she determined it was the right time...which she did. It would be an incredibly stupid "twist" that isn't characteristic of this series. I was really surprised when people suggested it. The theory is so out of the blue and unnecessary to me.

While reading the letter, Kim is looking at Jimmy in confusion. She's just stunned that it's having no effect on him. It's having more of an effect on her (Chuck was one of her mentors; him and Jimmy are basically family), which isn't right. She's scared and stressed out.

It was a really good scene and the whole purpose of it was to expose their characters, not just to viewers, but to themselves.

Fans were expecting some big to-do with the letter, but the letter itself (or Chuck's disdain from the grave) isn't the focus here. Whether the letter was good or bad, Jimmy was supposed to react to it. Be moved by it.

Edited by LeGOATski
  • Like (+1) 1

Her first thought about the Letter was "one more screw you Jimmy" from chuck from beyond the grave remember?  

Then she hears the actual letter and it's 100% the opposite from what she thought intiially.    I think that's what broke her down.  you think one thing about a person's behavior and it turns out to be the complete opposite. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I laughed when he actually brought a fish in 

This time in a real fish home, not a plastic bag, didn’t need the wrath of the receptionist.

Do I accept the vet is finished being a fool to do their dirty work?

And Gus flawlessly starts moving his ops into the US...

15 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It doesn't matter if it's typed or not. Kim's not just going to write a fake letter. She would simply withhold it from Jimmy until she determined it was the right time...which she did. It would be an incredibly stupid "twist" that isn't characteristic of this series. I was really surprised when people suggested it. The theory is so out of the blue and unnecessary to me.

While reading the letter, Kim is looking at Jimmy in confusion. She's just stunned that it's having no effect on him. It's having more of an effect on her (Chuck was one of her mentors; him and Jimmy are basically family), which isn't right. She's scared and stressed out.

It was a really good scene and the whole purpose of it was to expose their characters, not just to viewers, but to themselves.

Fans were expecting some big to-do with the letter, but the letter itself (or Chuck's disdain from the grave) isn't the focus here. Whether the letter was good or bad, Jimmy was supposed to react to it. Be moved by it.

I'm with you regarding the letter and its purpose in the show.

In 2 episodes now, they have shown us that Jimmy is emotionally detached from the death of his brother, Kim has observed it closely, and it has disturbed her.

They are setting things up for when Kim dumps Jimmy and he gets pushed over the cliff to become Saul.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, DC Tom said:

Am I the only one that noticed the lighting, when she was viewing all the office building models for Mesa Verde, made her look a little like Wendy from Breaking Bad?

I've been thinking that's the case for a while.

Dev started it

Indint remember any time when saul interacted with Wendy, though

18 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I've been thinking that's the case for a while.

Dev started it

Indint remember any time when saul interacted with Wendy, though

There was no direct interaction from Breaking Bad but there was a series of Saul Goodman commercials