It May Be Time To Think Big With The Bills

On 7/31/2018 at 6:09 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....you do realize that "fermentation" is yet another PROCESS, right?.....all trusting......:thumbsup:

Yes I REALLY like this fermentation process your talking about   ? ?  !! In the old country every household goes through the same process at least once few times a year!

?to process!!!

On 7/31/2018 at 11:11 PM, BuffaloBaumer said:

I am not limiting the "thinking big" to this season alone, I am talking about the future of this organization...

Oh yeah, so many times the Bills have made the playoffs over the last 20 years......same old threads and same old team huh

Nope, not the same old team. But some very key positions to fill ie: starting over at. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, BuffaloBaumer said:

Maybe the offensive line is not as bad as people thought.

Maybe the receivers could turn into something (sounded pretty good today).

Maybe Buffalo really HAS found their next franchise QB

Did Buffalo really just steal the possible rookie of the year in Edmunds?

There are still a lot of ifs here but looking into next year with no cap issues, tons to spend, and another draft to bolster the O, I am starting to think that the Bills could be on a roll as the Patriots eventually drop back down to Earth. I could not be happier with our coach and GM and contrary to past years when it was nothing but garbage as far as the eye could see, this team seems like it finally has an eye on building a champion. I'm fired up

I usually wait until we are 4 weeks after the first game, not 4 weeks before the first game, until I trust myself to start really thinking "BIG" for the bills.

33 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I usually wait until we are 4 weeks after the first game, not 4 weeks before the first game, until I trust myself to start really thinking "BIG" for the bills.

Welp, I'm choosing to think this right now because I see a change over there.......

Bills will probably win 4-6 games in my opinion. I think last year's record was built early and went down. I also feel their talent level is actually inferior to last year. Now, having said that, I'm more optimistic about who's running g things now than in past years.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, BuffaloBaumer said:

There are still a lot of ifs here but looking into next year with no cap issues, tons to spend, and another draft to bolster the O, I am starting to think that the Bills could be on a roll as the Patriots eventually drop back down to Earth. I could not be happier with our coach and GM and contrary to past years when it was nothing but garbage as far as the eye could see, this team seems like it finally has an eye on building a champion. I'm fired up

Over the next few years, you're saying? Yeah, I agree. Not convinced yet, but the indications are really good, as good as I've seen since the Kelly-Polian-Rusty Jones era.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Over the next few years, you're saying? Yeah, I agree. Not convinced yet, but the indications are really good, as good as I've seen since the Kelly-Polian-Rusty Jones era.

...ABSOLUTELY agree......yet some of the TBD pundnuts have McBeane (1st draft just concluded) and McD on a short two year leash.....go figure.......I'm partial to the Steelers "turnstile mentality"....Colbert GM since 2000, 3 HC's in 48 years and SIX Lombardis......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 5:39 PM, BuffaloBaumer said:

I didn't read the thread, but I'm completely on board with this.   

We're talking about the future here, and none of us can predict the future.    There are dozens and dozens of things that could go wrong that would derail the Bills on the way to NFL prominence (dare we say dominance?), and only a couple of them would be enough to stop the ascent to greatness.   But the ascent to greatness is possible.   Here's how (filling in some the blanks you left and repeating points you've made):

1.  McDermott looks like he's special.   He's a leader.  He covers all the details.   He's a tireless worker.   He admits his mistakes and works to correct them.

2.  Beane looks like a rising star in the GM world.  Fearless, detail oriented, shrewd.   On the same page with his coach.

3.  Allen looks like he could be great.   Obvious, almost other-worldly physical tools.  Smart, dedicated, hard working.  

Stop there.   Those are the three most important positions on the team.   The Bills have not combined such bright, talented people at those three positions since Kelly, Polian and Levy.   They are the nucleus.  

4.  Cap space.

5.  The offensive line.   Once you get past the quarterback, coaching is more important than talent.   All teams have more or less the same amount of talent at the other 21 positions, in the aggregate, and it's what the coaches do with the talent that matters.  Daboll is a huge question mark, to be sure, but after one game it already seems like the Bills have moved their offense into the 21st century.   Most teams struggle to have five very good guys across the front; the teams that succeed are the ones with coaches who figure out how to get good offensive line play out of what they have.   I don't think the line, as a whole, will be the liability that a lot of people think.

6.  Receivers are fine.   People seem to think Benjamin is not a number 1 guy.   They seem to base it on his play last year, when he was clearly limited.   Benjamin is a serious threat.  Jones is the question.   If he becomes what he should be, he and Benjamin will be a good tandem.   Kerley and Coleman will do damage as the three and four guys.   Like most other positions, receiver is a position where coaches use a rotation.   We'll see a lot of different looks and combinations, and the Bills have enough talent to make plays.  

7.  Shady.

8.  Defense was good last year and upgraded.   Davis may be the biggest question mark.   People are expressing doubts about Edmunds, justifiably.   He's young.   What I think people are missing is that although Davis may have some weaknesses in the running game - making his reads, maintaining gap discipline and hitting (things that should improve over time), simply his physical skills (size and speed) should make him a big upgrade over Brown in the passing game.   It was tough to pass against the Bills last season, and with Edmunds patrolling the middle, it's going to be that much tougher.   And the pass rush should be better. 

You can respond with "yes, but" in the case of every one of these points, but that doesn't change the fact that none of this is far-fetched.   

I think the people who are saying this is a four-win team don't get it.   I don't think McDermott is a four-win guy, as we saw last season.  I think it's a top-10 defense, which alone is worth more than four wins.   If Daboll knows what he's doing, the offense will be good, regardless of who wins the QB job.   If Daboll knows what he's doing AND Allen emerges as a viable starter, watch out - the Bills will be the surprise team of the league.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2018 at 4:30 PM, BuffaloBaumer said:

Welp, I'm choosing to think this right now because I see a change over there.......

I'm excited about the possibilities, but I'm prepared for less.   As I said, there are plenty of things that could go wrong, and some of them will.   If Daboll simply is not good, the Bills will be mired in mediocrity or worse.   

The Bills were probably lucky to have made the playoffs last year.  They might get lucky again this year if a lot of things fall into place.  I do billieve (any belief about the Bills future success) that after this year the foundation will be set for the Bills to be a solid contender for years to come.   Looking forward to this season as a season of growth and identity with the Bills getting better and better as the season progresses. 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't read the thread, but I'm completely on board with this.   

We're talking about the future here, and none of us can predict the future.    There are dozens and dozens of things that could go wrong that would derail the Bills on the way to NFL prominence (dare we say dominance?), and only a couple of them would be enough to stop the ascent to greatness.   But the ascent to greatness is possible.   Here's how (filling in some the blanks you left and repeating points you've made):

1.  McDermott looks like he's special.   He's a leader.  He covers all the details.   He's a tireless worker.   He admits his mistakes and works to correct them.

2.  Beane looks like a rising star in the GM world.  Fearless, detail oriented, shrewd.   On the same page with his coach.

3.  Allen looks like he could be great.   Obvious, almost other-worldly physical tools.  Smart, dedicated, hard working.  

Stop there.   Those are the three most important positions on the team.   The Bills have not combined such bright, talented people at those three positions since Kelly, Polian and Levy.   They are the nucleus.  

4.  Cap space.

5.  The offensive line.   Once you get past the quarterback, coaching is more important than talent.   All teams have more or less the same amount of talent at the other 21 positions, in the aggregate, and it's what the coaches do with the talent that matters.  Daboll is a huge question mark, to be sure, but after one game it already seems like the Bills have moved their offense into the 21st century.   Most teams struggle to have five very good guys across the front; the teams that succeed are the ones with coaches who figure out how to get good offensive line play out of what they have.   I don't think the line, as a whole, will be the liability that a lot of people think.

6.  Receivers are fine.   People seem to think Benjamin is not a number 1 guy.   They seem to base it on his play last year, when he was clearly limited.   Benjamin is a serious threat.  Jones is the question.   If he becomes what he should be, he and Benjamin will be a good tandem.   Kerley and Coleman will do damage as the three and four guys.   Like most other positions, receiver is a position where coaches use a rotation.   We'll see a lot of different looks and combinations, and the Bills have enough talent to make plays.  

7.  Shady.

8.  Defense was good last year and upgraded.   Davis may be the biggest question mark.   People are expressing doubts about Edmunds, justifiably.   He's young.   What I think people are missing is that although Davis may have some weaknesses in the running game - making his reads, maintaining gap discipline and hitting (things that should improve over time), simply his physical skills (size and speed) should make him a big upgrade over Brown in the passing game.   It was tough to pass against the Bills last season, and with Edmunds patrolling the middle, it's going to be that much tougher.   And the pass rush should be better. 

You can respond with "yes, but" in the case of every one of these points, but that doesn't change the fact that none of this is far-fetched.   

I think the people who are saying this is a four-win team don't get it.   I don't think McDermott is a four-win guy, as we saw last season.  I think it's a top-10 defense, which alone is worth more than four wins.   If Daboll knows what he's doing, the offense will be good, regardless of who wins the QB job.   If Daboll knows what he's doing AND Allen emerges as a viable starter, watch out - the Bills will be the surprise team of the league.    

Amen

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills go 9-7 and break the drought and all of a sudden Beane, McDermott and Allen are the next Levy, Polian, and Kelly? 

This has been my exact problem with all the cheerleaders this off-season/pre-season.  I am very skeptical about most of the personnel moves the Bills have made in 2017 and 2018, primarily because too many of them seem to be in the same short-sighted philosophy of sending proven vets packing rather than pay them that has plagued the Bills since at least John Butler and AJ Smith departed for California.  As a Bills fan for more than fifty years and a former season ticket holder, I'm no longer willing to give any HC or GM/HC combo or owner a free pass without concrete results for more than a single season.  The Bills have conned their fanbase too many times in the past, so  I'll believe that the current regime has a formula for winning regularly when double digit wins, playoff appearances, and playoff wins happen frequently rather than maybe once every two decades.

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This has been my exact problem with all the cheerleaders this off-season/pre-season.  I am very skeptical about most of the personnel moves the Bills have made in 2017 and 2018, primarily because too many of them seem to be in the same short-sighted philosophy of sending proven vets packing rather than pay them that has plagued the Bills since at least John Butler and AJ Smith departed for California.  As a Bills fan for more than fifty years and a former season ticket holder, I'm no longer willing to give any HC or GM/HC combo or owner a free pass without concrete results for more than a single season.  The Bills have conned their fanbase too many times in the past, so  I'll believe that the current regime has a formula for winning regularly when double digit wins, playoff appearances, and playoff wins happen frequently rather than maybe once every two decades.

Is this post satire?  I hope it's satire.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills go 9-7 and break the drought and all of a sudden Beane, McDermott and Allen are the next Levy, Polian, and Kelly? 

God, I hope not.  Levy lost us four Super Bowls, Kelly partied too much, and Polian couldn't even get along with the owner!

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Is this post satire?  I hope it's satire.

I wish it was,  but it's how I feel, and it's going to take several years to determine who's right or wrong.  Certainly the Pegulas' ownership of the Sabres hasn't produced success since the team has missed the playoffs seven straight years.

Just now, SoTier said:

I wish it was,  but it's how I feel, and it's going to take several years to determine who's right or wrong.  Certainly the Pegulas' ownership of the Sabres hasn't produced success since the team has missed the playoffs seven straight years.

The Pegulas have made a number of mistakes, and they'd admit it themselves.  It takes a an awfully dark-minded, cold perspective not to see the positive trend for both organizations at this point, however.

• Like (+1) 2