Todd Gurley resets the RB market with Rams extension

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

man they have so much money locked up going forward. with goff coming up in a few years along with peters and just paying other positions you gotta wonder if they plan on paying donald?  it's a position not a lot of teams spend big money on.  

Donald mus be pissed. I would have paid him first .

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Makes Shady look like a bargain. 

and there ya go !

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

If they want to unload Aaron Donald, I think we will gladly listen.

we will have the money next year. let Rams franchise AD this year and piss him off !

37 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That will change half way through this season when Barkley is lighting the league on fire.

it certainly could happen if their O line gets sorted !

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Makes Shady look like a bargain. 

To be fair if it’s 6 years total and 60m, right?  Did I read that clumsily worded tweet right?

shady on a 5 year 40 signed a few years ago is somewhat comparable. 20% gain in 3 years is pretty normal these days 

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

So the Rams are currently operating under the "hit on a drafted QB, use the five years of cheap labor to load up the team around him" model. It worked for the Seahawks for a while.

Here's the thing: eventually, the rookie QB deal runs out. Then you have to pay the man. At that point, you have tough decisions to make. See: The current Seahawks roster. 

If all goes well for the Bills and Allen is the real deal, they will have the same window. Five years to load up around your QB. Then the bill comes due and the GM's job becomes much tougher.

I will be incredibly interested to see how this all plays out for the Rams.

I believe you are outlining the “everyone in the nfl model”

try to find a qb. If you find the qb pay him and do your best to retain talent around him. I’m not sure it’s all that interesting- just a matter of if they get a ring.

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair if it’s 6 years total and 60m, right?  Did I read that clumsily worded tweet right?

shady on a 5 year 40 signed a few years ago is somewhat comparable. 20% gain in 3 years is pretty normal these days 

try to find a qb. If you find the qb pay him and do your best to retain talent around him. I’m not sure it’s all that interesting- just a matter of if they get a ring.

I disagree. I feel that it's a new phenomenon -- it began with the advent of the rookie wage scale. Prior to the rookie wage scale, QBs drafted in the top 10 made huge money right out of the gate. 

Nowadays, they're so cheap for five years that you can afford to OVERspend on a bunch of other players/positions. The hope is that once you finally have to pay the QB, he's good enough to carry the team, and then it doesn't hurt so much that you have to make cuts across the board to afford the QB.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

But I stuck with him and he delivered a title in '17!

Bell is still fantastic, but benefits from a terrific line (remember when people here didn't want to 'waste' a 1st round pick on David DeCastro?) and is older.  No way I'd give him this kind of contract.

bell is 26. If he's willing to take a 4 year deal, you don't walk the contract to him, you fly a private jet to his driveway.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I disagree. I feel that it's a new phenomenon -- it began with the advent of the rookie wage scale. Prior to the rookie wage scale, QBs drafted in the top 10 made huge money right out of the gate. 

Nowadays, they're so cheap for five years that you can afford to OVERspend on a bunch of other players/positions. The hope is that once you finally have to pay the QB, he's good enough to carry the team, and then it doesn't hurt so much that you have to make cuts across the board to afford the QB.

The example you used was a cheap midround pick

and the rookie wage scale is, what, 5(?) years old now. 

Its Goff, wentz, wilson, jameis, was cam, was Flacco... as mentioned Wilson, Brees was a second rounder then injury discount, brady was super cheap out of the gate... 9ers with kaepernick. you’ve gotten to see it or are watching it in a bunch of places was my point... and for about 5 years it’s been the game everyone’s playing

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Spotrac says he's making an average of $14.375M/year.  He just finished his 3rd season. 

Speaking of which, Goff will be entering his 3rd season.  If he has another good one, look for him to demand north of $25M/year next year.

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

Spotrac says he's making an average of $14.375M/year.  He just finished his 3rd season. 

Speaking of which, Goff will be entering his 3rd season.  If he has another good one, look for him to demand north of $25M/year next year.

Ah - so 4th year, 5th year option then add 4 new years at 15 per.. I guess

also, I’m not banking on young QBs holding out that early. Maaaaybe but I’d be a little surprised 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Ah - so 4th year, 5th year option then add 4 new years at 15 per.. I guess

also, I’m not banking on young QBs holding out that early. Maaaaybe but I’d be a little surprised 

That's what they're saying right now.  Maybe they'll revise them.

And as for Goff, if they gave Gurley a massive pay raise after his 3rd season, and he's just a RB...

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet the other 31 GMs are laughing over this deal by the Rams right now.  It will be a cautionary tale, not a "market setter".

I disagree.  Bell in FA gets 3 years 50 all guaranteed.  Zeke will get more than Gurley.  RBs will be the first position at the top to take 1 or 2 years less for more guaranteed money.  Gurley's deal is pretty much 3 years 45 mil.  

13 hours ago, aristocrat said:

man they have so much money locked up going forward. with goff coming up in a few years along with peters and just paying other positions you gotta wonder if they plan on paying donald?  it's a position not a lot of teams spend big money on.  

big mistake by the Rams.  IMO, they have just entered salary cap h-ll by way overpaying a position that is easily replaced.  Gurley is great, but, for example, Tavaris Cadet can do 80% of what Gurley can do for 1/10 of the money.   You don't spend that kind of $$ on a RB in a passing league.  Just my opinion.  

3 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

big mistake by the Rams.  IMO, they have just entered salary cap h-ll by way overpaying a position that is easily replaced.  Gurley is great, but, for example, Tavaris Cadet can do 80% of what Gurley can do for 1/10 of the money.   You don't spend that kind of $$ on a RB in a passing league.  Just my opinion.  

Just so we’re clear you think cadet can get more than 1600 all purpose yards?  In his career cadet has just over 2000 all purpose yards total.and you’re saying he can do it in one year? 

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I disagree.  Bell in FA gets 3 years 50 all guaranteed.  Zeke will get more than Gurley.  RBs will be the first position at the top to take 1 or 2 years less for more guaranteed money.  Gurley's deal is pretty much 3 years 45 mil.  

Bell would have to have another monster year, and so will Gurley, for other teams to suddenly all reconsider what they will pay for RBs.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Yes they are all laughing at Gurleys 2000 yards and 19 TD’s 

They just paid for 3 years of that up front.  They won't get it.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet the other 31 GMs are laughing over this deal by the Rams right now.  It will be a cautionary tale, not a "market setter".

Gurley is in a different situation than some elite backs who entering contract years because he is younger than most of them. He is still in his prime and capable of being a workhorse. There are few backs that fall in the category of elite players and yet still have plenty of life left in them. For backs such as Elliot, Fornette and him the pay scale/paradigm is shifting and will benefit them. 

With these type of high cost backs you will get your money's worth from them if you have a top-shelf OL that allows them to display their big impact talents. If your OL is mediocre you are wasting your money and not getting the return worth the investment. 

You may disagree but the Rams are making a smart move locking him up securing his dynamic services.