Todd Gurley resets the RB market with Rams extension

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They just paid for 3 years of that up front.  They won't get it.

Considering top WRs (or not) get $16M/year and they produce about 1,400-1,500 and 12 TD's, Gurley can have 60% of last year's production and still earn his money.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Considering top WRs (or not) get $16M/year and they produce about 1,400-1,500 and 12 TD's, Gurley can have 60% of last year's production and still earn his money.

1300 yards of "production" from a RB is now worth 15 million?

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

200w.gif

Inside the envelope:  "Chris Johnson"

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm of two minds on the RB position...

On the one hand, it seems like it isn't difficult to find a pretty decent RB in the later rounds and therefore there is little need to pay big $$ for that position.

However, a truly dynamic superstar RB can really change your offense, and unlike a WR he is not beholden to your QB as much.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

1300 yards of "production" from a RB is now worth 15 million?

For a dual-threat RB it is (don't forget the 12 TD's part).  Oh and nice Trumpian backtracking with your "they won't get it" claim. 

Edited by Doc

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

For a dual-threat RB it is (don't forget the 12 TD's part).  Oh and nice Trumpian backtracking with your "they won't get it" claim. 

Backtrack?  I said they won't get that production for 3 more years--so it's not a great deal for the Rams.  I still don't believe Bell will get that contract next year. 

By your logic, since top WRs get 15 million for 1400 yards, top QBs should get 45-50 million a year for their production compared to WRs.

Silly right? 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Backtrack?  I said they won't get that production for 3 more years--so it's not a great deal for the Rams.  I still don't believe Bell will get that contract next year. 

By your logic, since top WRs get 15 million for 1400 yards, top QBs should get 45-50 million a year for their production compared to WRs.

Silly right? 

LOL!  No, that's not my logic. 

But if I'm a dual-threat RB and I'm producing like a top WR, if not better, I'd be looking for the same type of money as well.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  No, that's not my logic. 

But if I'm a dual-threat RB and I'm producing like a top WR, if not better, I'd be looking for the same type of money as well.

Then you have to be proven a significant receiver for more than one season before you should compare yourself to what a #1 WR gets.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then you have to be proven a significant receiver for more than one season before you should compare yourself to what a #1 WR gets.

I agree.  But Gurley and many of the other dual threat backs who are/will be looking for big money are gifted receivers. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I agree.  But Gurley and many of the other dual threat backs who are/will be looking for big money are gifted receivers. 

Dump off a bunch of passes to your RB, he's going to catch a bunch of passes (Gurley has one season over 45 catches).  Doesn't make him "gifted"--and makes him nothing like a "top WR".

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dump off a bunch of passes to your RB, he's going to catch a bunch of passes (Gurley has one season over 45 catches).  Doesn't make him "gifted"--and makes him nothing like a "top WR".

Gurley averaged 12.3 YPR.  And Goff seems to be living up to his draft status and those 2 will be together for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gurley averaged 12.3 YPR.  And Goff seems to be living up to his draft status and those 2 will be together for awhile.

He has done that once and over 20 WRs did better than that.

Can't compare to actual top WRs.  Maybe to slot receivers, which is what they function as (sort of) when catching.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has done that once and over 20 WRs did better than that.

Can't compare to actual top WRs.  Maybe to slot receivers, which is what they function as (sort of) when catching.

Just his 3rd season and Goff's 2nd, and 1st playing as a top QB.  We'll see where it goes from here.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Just his 3rd season and Goff's 2nd, and 1st playing as a top QB.  We'll see where it goes from here.

The kid had 2 years left on his rookie deal.  They had him super cheap.  It made absolutely no sense to make him the richest RB ever, in this scenario.  What if he turns out to be CJ2K and not AP?

Dumb move.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

.....and yet another tidy sum on the horizon..............

Rams Working on Aaron Donald Contract After Todd Gurley Deal, GM Les Snead Says

Alec Nathan-BR- July 24, 2018

The Los Angeles Rams have already signed running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Brandin Cooks to lucrative long-term extensions this summer, and general manager Les Snead said Tuesday the team is "working" to complete a similar deal with defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

"We're simultaneously working to make Aaron a Ram a long time—that's the goal," Snead said, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. "I know we'll get questions about him, but Aaron's a big part of who we are, where we want to go. We're going to continue working to get something done with Aaron".

Donald, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year, held out of training camp last year in pursuit of a new contract. He reported to the club one day before the start of the regular season. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The kid had 2 years left on his rookie deal.  They had him super cheap.  It made absolutely no sense to make him the richest RB ever, in this scenario.  What if he turns out to be CJ2K and not AP?

Dumb move.  

Who knows why they did it.  Might have freed up cap room, or prevented a holdout, or they figure they have the room and will have more next year.  I don't know.  But you eventually have to pay your stars and it eventually ends up hurting your team.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Who knows why they did it.  Might have freed up cap room, or prevented a holdout, or they figure they have the room and will have more next year.  I don't know.  But you eventually have to pay your stars and it eventually ends up hurting your team.

Why not pay him another rookie contract year, prove he can put at least 2 years in a row like this past year----THEN make him the highest paid RB ever, next year.

Holdout? He's not to going to jump at this offer next season if they didn't offer it now?   That's not believable.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Why not pay him another rookie contract year, prove he can put at least 2 years in a row like this past year----THEN make him the highest paid RB ever, next year.

Holdout? He's not to going to jump at this offer next season if they didn't offer it now?   That's not believable.

Actually, after looking at the numbers more closely, it looks like a deal that will pay him an average of $11.5M/year over the next 6 years.  With Bell looking for more than $14M/year, they probably jumped at the chance to get him with this deal.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually, after looking at the numbers more closely, it looks like a deal that will pay him an average of $11.5M/year over the next 6 years.  With Bell looking for more than $14M/year, they probably jumped at the chance to get him with this deal.

The extension is 60 million, 4 years, 45 million guaranteed.

Even Gurley had said this spring that the team should be focusing on extending another player:  Aaron Donald.  Hurley said he would wait for his...

Edited by Mr. WEO