Top 10 biggest traitors in Buffalo Bills history

17 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

Jim Kelly, before he retired in 1997, threatened to go play for our rival Pittsburgh.

It's really not that simple.  Kelly is from the Pittsburgh area and playing his last year for the Steelers would have been just indulging a childhood wish as opposed to a deliberate betrayal of Buffalo fans in terms of Kelly's motivations.  Kelly mentioned in his book that he had hoped that he would have been drafted by the Steelers.  

I don't see a lot of the others as betrayals.  Knox was pissed that Ralph would not recognize the future in that sometimes you have to pay players even when you don't value a position.  A lot of the players in the Wilson days were just trying to make prudent decisions as to how they saw the future in Buffalo.  

Somebody like Smerlas I would consider more of a douche than a traitor.  It hurts that Smerlas turned away from Buffalo but the guilt far from resides with him.  Marv and Walt Corey were ready to turn the page from Smerlas and Smerlas has strong feelings for his hometown of Boston.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 2

didnt he demand to be released?

I was young but i remember it going that way. After something happened on the sidelines he went in during halftime and cleaned out his locker and demanded his release and then signed with the jets within days...

19 minutes ago, nickrage said:

didnt he demand to be released?

I was young but i remember it going that way. After something happened on the sidelines he went in during halftime and cleaned out his locker and demanded his release and then signed with the jets within days...

ahhh, you may be right....but not a traitor....just probably didn't like Kelly

Chris Burkett and Ronnie Harmon did not fit into the the family atmosphere that was developing.  They were moody and brooding types.  Harmon refuse to be accountable for his drop.  Burkett and Kelly had issues.  Neither was a traitor but they did not fit the culture that was developing.  

Not every player that leaves is a traitor, football is a business.  Thurman,Bruce, Biscuit, are not traders .... these comments are ridiculous.  

I agree with many on here. Player’s careers are very short. If I’m on a team that has no clear plan going forward or has brought in a coach that doesn’t appreciate or utilize my skill set then I’m probably not hanging around. (Heck, my daughter did that with her Club Soccer Team and it was the best move she ever made!) I wouldn’t call players out for changing teams...but...I would call them out for quitting on their current team with minimal effort or mystery injuries. For example, nothing got me more upset than watching ‘super’ Mario go thru the motions in his last couple of games with the Bills. How the coaching staff didn’t sit his $&ss down was beyond me! 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, greenyellowred said:

This is my list. Who are your selections? Do you agree with the ranking?

1. Gary Anderson - drafted by Buffalo in 1982, he was regarded by the NFL as a future star kicker, but he missed every field goal attempt in the pre-season on purpose so he would get cut (even though in practices he dominated). Buffalo did finally cut him before the regular season, after giving many chances, in favor of Effren Herrera. He was quickly picked up by Pittsburgh and went on to become a top 5 all-time NFL kicker, playing 23 seasons and making 4 Pro Bowls for various teams. I remember the day he was cut. I was in 7th grade and was furious at the Bills for cutting him, knowing he would become a great kicker. But the Bills had no choice. Every time I heard his name in the following years, I cringed. What did he have against Buffalo?

2. Marshawn Lynch ("Beastmode") - drafted at number 12 overall by Buffalo in 2007, Marshawn went had two consecutive 1,000 yard seasons to start his pro career and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2008. But he decided he wanted a "fresh start" after all the legal drama he created in Buffalo (gun charge and a hit-n-run of a pedestrian), forcing the Bills to trade him. He went on to Seattle to win a Super Bowl and have four consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons as the best RB in the NFL. SMH.

3. Jason Peters - acquired by Buffalo in 2004 as an UDFA, Peters went on to become a franchise left tackle for them and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008. He held out prior to the 2008 season with 3 years left on his contract (!), since he wanted to become one of the highest paid offensive tackles in the NFL. He purposely played bad for Buffalo that year, despite being named to the Pro Bowl, and gave up the most sacks in the NFL. He forced the Bills to trade him to the Eagles, where he went on to make 7 Pro Bowls and anchored a vaunted running attack led by LeSean McCoy.

4. Jim Kelly ("Jimbo", "Machine Gun Kelly") - drafted by Buffalo in 1983, he thumbed his nose at the city because Buffalo had a bad reputation and was a boring town. He decided he wanted to play for the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. Sure, he made it up somewhat by coming to play for the Bills in 1986 (he had no choice, as the USFL folded the previous season), but Buffalo lost three years of his services while his main rivals Dan Marino and John Elway were making big waves for Miami and Denver, respectively. Thanks Jim for being a jerk.

5. Joe Cribbs ("Cribsus Carrius") - drafted in 1980 by Buffalo, he was named AFC ROY that season and had 1,185 yard rushing and 52 pass receptions. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 1980 and 1981 and led the NFL in rushing in the strike-shortened season of 1982. He then decided he didn't like playing in the Buffalo cold, so he broke his contract and went on in 1983 to pay for the Birmingham Stallions of the USFL until 1985, when the league folded . He went back to Buffalo before they traded him to the 49ers. I was not happy in 1983 when the news broke he was leaving Buffalo.

6. Tom Cousineau - drafted 1st overall in 1979 by Buffalo, he refused to play for the Bills since Montreal of the CFL offered him double the money that Buffalo did. He went on to become a star for Montreal that season, winning MVP for the Grey Cup (the Super Bowl of the CFL). He game back to the NFL in 1982, where Buffalo traded him to Cleveland for Cleveland's 1983 1st round pick, and 2nd and 3rd picks in later years. Buffalo used that pick to draft Jim Kelly in 1983, but he too went to play for another team! Ridiculous!

7. Doug Marrone ("Saint Doug") - named as the Bills head coach in 2013, he led the Bills to their first winning season in 10 years in 2014: 9-7. He then quit the team with 3 years left on his contract because he didn't like being pressured by GM Doug Whaley to play QB EJ Manuel and was worried about the ownership change. Team captain Freddie Jackson said his treacherous behavior was like being "punched in the stomach". New Bills head coach Rex Ryan said the Bills deserved a loyal coach. Marrone was paid his full salary by Buffalo in 2015, despite signing on to become as Assistant Coach with Jacksonville that season. He went on to become head coach for them and led Jacksonville to its first playoff win ever in the 2017 season.

8. Greg Bell - drafted by Buffalo in 1984 to be Joe Cribbs' replacement, he went on to have a 1,000 yard season and it was clear Buffalo had a star player. But he became loose-lipped and complained about Bills management and other players. He was disliked by all and he forced the Bills to overpay by trading him in 1987, along with their 1988 1st round pick and 1989 1st and 2nd round picks, to Indianapolis for only Cornelius Bennett, who had held out the entire season there as a rookie. Bell was then immediately moved to the LA Rams as part of a three-team deal. This trade cost the Bills dearly. Bell went on to be named comeback player of the year in 1988 for LA, but became a problem there as well, threatening to hold out and talking more trash about his team.

9. Reggie McKenzie - drafted by Buffalo in 1972, he made the Pro Bowl and was named All-NFL 1st Team in 1973 and All-NFL 2nd Team in 1974. He was leader of the "Electric Company" for the Bills and led the offensive line which "turned on the juice" for OJ Simpson. He was considered OJ's "main man". In 1983, he decided to abandon Buffalo and follow Chuck Know to Seattle to provide veteran leadership there. Such disloyalty! I was furious when I heard the news.

10. Chuck Knox ("Ground Chuck") - After coming to Buffalo in 1978 to become their head coach, he turned the organization around and led Buffalo to consecutive playoff berths in 1980 and 1981. But after a disappointing 4-5 strike-shortened season in 1982 and unable to come to a new contract after negotiating with Ralph Wilson, he abandoned Buffalo for Seattle, where he went on to lead them to playoff berths in 1983, 1984, 1986, and 1987.

Honorable Mention: Anquan Boldin - The Pro Bowl WR signed with Buffalo as a free agent in 2017, only to decide the team was a mess before quickly retiring in the pre-season. Ironically, the Bills were 9-7 and made the playoffs that year. Yep, Buffalo was a big mess that year. The joke was on Boldin, who had a chance to end his career as a winner.

All rights reserved. Copyright greenyellowred.

1) 1st off, the Bills kept Nick Mike-Mayer, not Herrera.  Mike-Mayer kicked in the 1st 2 games of the season & got cut.  Herrera was signed after Mike-Mayer was cut.  Also, back in those days it was pretty easy to stash players on IR.  If the team wanted to play hardball they could have put him on IR instead of cutting him. 

2) It was the Bills who drafted CJ Spiller while Lynch was still on the team-this devalued his trade value.  Even though he now takes the high road & says it was mutual, the Bills fired the 1st salvo drafting Spiller & in effect, telling Lynch he was no longer wanted.  

4) What is usually overlooked is that when the Bills drafted Kelly, Joe Ferguson was still entrenched as the starter.  Back in those days, rookie QBs were redshirted.  Kelly wanted to play, not sit on the bench.  At the time Kelly signed with the USFL, it was A) For a lot more money & B) Before anyone knew that Fergy's play would fall off the face of the earth in 1983.

5) It wasn't the cold as much as money.  Cribbs had a great rookie year & was disgruntled by his pay.  When the opportunity came around he jumped to the USFL.  Now, when he came back, he was a real jerk.  I remember him taking tape & making it like prison bars on his locker to symbolize that he was a prisoner in Buffalo.  The Bills traded him to SF because he was too much of a locker room distraction.  

6) This was a classic example of Ralph being a cheapskate.  Nobody in the history of the NFL draft ever lost the #1 overall pick to the CFL.  This was the beginning of the end for Chuck Knox, who was quite angry at Ralph for his cheap ways.

8 The Bills wanted a quality player in Bennett.  Yes, I've heard rumors that Bell was hated, so really, it was addition by subtraction, and the next year they drafted Thurman Thomas.

9) Reggie was traded because he didn't fit into the Bills plans with the new coaching staff.  He did not abandon the Bills.  The Bills made the decision and Knox saw him as still valuable when the Bills didn't.  

10) Knox left because Ralph wouldn't pay him or his players.  He should not be listed as a traitor.

How can anybody talk traitors & not include Mike Mularkey, who quit as coach before Marrone, or John Rauch, who on July 11, 1971 went on the radio & trashed former Bills players Paul Maguire & Ron McDole, then as camp began quit as coach because he couldn't get along with Ralph after Ralph told him he was going to publicly defend the 2 ex-Bills Rauch had trashed 9 days earlier.

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Chris Burkett and Ronnie Harmon did not fit into the the family atmosphere that was developing.  They were moody and brooding types.  Harmon refuse to be accountable for his drop.  Burkett and Kelly had issues.  Neither was a traitor but they did not fit the culture that was developing.  

Not every player that leaves is a traitor, football is a business.  Thurman,Bruce, Biscuit, are not traders .... these comments are ridiculous.  

So you give no credence to the rumors that Harmon’s drop was not something more?

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

So you give no credence to the rumors that Harmon’s drop was not something more?

No.  Harmon dropped it because he dropped it.  Then he refused to be accountable.  He was a moody guy.  Even though he had good years after Buffalo we were better of with Thurman and Kenny Davis.  

On 7/23/2018 at 7:27 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Explain....

If I have to explain Dusty Ziegler and Leon Seals to you, then you have amnesia or you are being ridiculous, ESPECIALLY if you post THIS:

"Yeah that’s right. There were several games where he missed easy FG’s and even worse automatic XP’s. He had a great 1988 season and decent 1989 but a shaky 1990 and a worse 1991. Had Polian had the foresight to be proactive about the kicker situation, the Bills might have won Super Bowl 25."

4 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

If I have to explain Dusty Ziegler and Leon Seals to you, then you have amnesia or you are being ridiculous, ESPECIALLY if you post THIS:

"Yeah that’s right. There were several games where he missed easy FG’s and even worse automatic XP’s. He had a great 1988 season and decent 1989 but a shaky 1990 and a worse 1991. Had Polian had the foresight to be proactive about the kicker situation, the Bills might have won Super Bowl 25."

I followed the team pretty close since 1990 and I have no idea why you’d associate Leon Seals and Dusty Ziegler as traitors.  But you seem like a very intelligent and classy individual.  I’m sure you’ll enlighten the community.

BTW...I stand by what I wrote Norwood sucked in 1990.  He was replaced two years too late

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

I followed the team pretty close since 1990 and I have no idea why you’d associate Leon Seals and Dusty Ziegler as traitors.  But you seem like a very intelligent and classy individual.  I’m sure you’ll enlighten the community.

BTW...I stand by what I wrote Norwood sucked in 1990.  He was replaced two years too late

Leon Seals said "To hell with Buffalo" and decided to demand a trade, and Dusty Ziegler accepted the Bills contract offer in a handshake deal and reneged on it and signed with the Giants. Sorry if I came across sh**ty but they were infamous in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Leon Seals said "To hell with Buffalo" and decided to demand a trade, and Dusty Ziegler accepted the Bills contract offer in a handshake deal and reneged on it and signed with the Giants. Sorry if I came across sh**ty but they were infamous in my eyes.

Gotcha.... I do remember Leon demanding a trade.  I believe we traded him to Philly for a low draft pick, and he did next to nothing the rest of his career.  I had no idea about the contract drama with Dusty

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I love this list, solely based on the fact that you listed Anderson as number one. Actually, I loved it so much, you encouraged me to register an account so I could reply.

I, too remember  when Anderson was drafted by the Bills, after being one of college's all time kickers out of Syracuse.During that time, I followed Syracuse with players like Art Monk and joe Morris.

I remember those kicks that he missed (all five attempts) and left the Bills with no choice but to cut him. It was also suspicious to me how the Steelers immediately picked him up and signed him afterwards. Of course, Anderson immediately reverted back to his All American form and would go on to become one of the league's best kickers. I won't lie to you. I thought it was poetic justice when he missed that FG in NFC championship.

As far as the rest of list goes, I agree with Cousineau, McGahee, and Marrone (although I was glad he left). I would disagree with Lynch, McKenzie, Cribbs on list. Peters,  I'm conflicted with since it was the Bills who gave Peters the opportunity to thrive as a OT rather than as a TE.But it seemed to me that Peter's gripe was more about being paid as opposed to just not wanting to play for the city. I can understand Kelly being on list since he was among the more vocal players voicing his displeasure with being drafted by Bills. if it wasn't for the USFL folding, would Kelly ever been a Bill? Makes you wonder. Due to his time here, we could forgive but it doesn't mean you forget.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:18 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Fred Smerlas

That's someone who came to mind, but he didn't turn on the Bill until.they unceremoniously kicked him to the curb. So..  he doesn't count