Top 10 biggest traitors in Buffalo Bills history

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

That's someone who came to mind, but he didn't turn on the Bill until.they unceremoniously kicked him to the curb. So..  he doesn't count

"unceremoniously kicked him to the curb"?

How did his release go down? If something other than the usual, I can't see how it excuses him for his attacks on the Bills. I say this in the same spirit of defending many others who get mentioned for being "traitors". If they were released/FA/traded, how are they traitors (a really stupid term to use in this context anyway, IMO)?

The idea a player is going to be a FAN of the team they played for, seems like a pretty unrealistic idea given what the NFL is and how it operates. If they just express an opinion we fans don't like, who cares? They're entitled.

When they go out of their way to attack the team, the city, the franchise on a regular basis, well that's another thing. If the Bills said something along the lines of  "Fred Smerlas is a POS and his family is stupid and ugly. Nobody should ever employ him for anything, EVER!" Then I might excuse him for his crusade against everything Buffalo, for years.  But not because they chose the younger, less expensive option at his position. That's just NFL football.

14 hours ago, carble said:

Wow! I love this list, solely based on the fact that you listed Anderson as number one. Actually, I loved it so much, you encouraged me to register an account so I could reply.

I, too remember  when Anderson was drafted by the Bills, after being one of college's all time kickers out of Syracuse.During that time, I followed Syracuse with players like Art Monk and joe Morris.

I remember those kicks that he missed (all five attempts) and left the Bills with no choice but to cut him. It was also suspicious to me how the Steelers immediately picked him up and signed him afterwards. Of course, Anderson immediately reverted back to his All American form and would go on to become one of the league's best kickers. I won't lie to you. I thought it was poetic justice when he missed that FG in NFC championship.

As far as the rest of list goes, I agree with Cousineau, McGahee, and Marrone (although I was glad he left). I would disagree with Lynch, McKenzie, Cribbs on list. Peters,  I'm conflicted with since it was the Bills who gave Peters the opportunity to thrive as a OT rather than as a TE.But it seemed to me that Peter's gripe was more about being paid as opposed to just not wanting to play for the city. I can understand Kelly being on list since he was among the more vocal players voicing his displeasure with being drafted by Bills. if it wasn't for the USFL folding, would Kelly ever been a Bill? Makes you wonder. Due to his time here, we could forgive but it doesn't mean you forget.

Thanks for your support and welcome aboard! I agree with the points you made. And, yeah, I hate Gary Anderson more than anyone else. He potentially set the Bills back big time.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:38 PM, Rico said:

#1 could’ve been Ralph with all the many threats he made to move the team to Seattle etc. Thank God he never carried through with it.

If Ralph never threatened, they would still be playing in the Rockpile.  

And Kelly should be thanked for going to the USFL.   If he would have signed with the Bills they would have been mediocre for his entire career.  A few more years of sucking allowed them to gain the needed talent for those super bowl runs.

Edited by Greybeard

On 7/26/2018 at 7:28 PM, Bob in STL said:

No.  Harmon dropped it because he dropped it.  Then he refused to be accountable.  He was a moody guy.  Even though he had good years after Buffalo we were better of with Thurman and Kenny Davis.  

Ronnie Harmon got crucified for the drop and ran out of town. That game never should have came to that play. I felt bad for him.

12 hours ago, The Dean said:

"unceremoniously kicked him to the curb"?

How did his release go down? If something other than the usual, I can't see how it excuses him for his attacks on the Bills. I say this in the same spirit of defending many others who get mentioned for being "traitors". If they were released/FA/traded, how are they traitors (a really stupid term to use in this context anyway, IMO)?

The idea a player is going to be a FAN of the team they played for, seems like a pretty unrealistic idea given what the NFL is and how it operates. If they just express an opinion we fans don't like, who cares? They're entitled.

When they go out of their way to attack the team, the city, the franchise on a regular basis, well that's another thing. If the Bills said something along the lines of  "Fred Smerlas is a POS and his family is stupid and ugly. Nobody should ever employ him for anything, EVER!" Then I might excuse him for his crusade against everything Buffalo, for years.  But not because they chose the younger, less expensive option at his position. That's just NFL football.

The problem was wright was not as good as Fred and there was no competition. It was just...thanks for starting the playoff run for us but adios...ok I made up the thank you part. I thought wright sucked.