Bicyclists aren’t the smartest

Just Jack

OK.  I've watched the video a couple of times.  I'm trying to figure out what the woman was doing exactly or how you might explain her accident.

Something I have noticed among my own friends/acquaintances is that there are people out there with zero--I mean no---athletic ability or coordination trying to engage in sporting pastimes.

Like I have friends who try to roller blade but are a nano-second away from crashing the entire time time they skate along.

I also have friends who simply lack the coordination to ride a bicycle.

I think that is what's going on here.  I honestly don't think this woman's depth perception was good enough to judge that the bridge was up or that there was a drop off that she was about to fall over, until she did it.

Look at how she misses the gap she rides through.  She clips one of the arms with her backpack and it almost causes her to crash as she is so off balance.

I just think this is a case of her daydreaming and not paying attention combined with being so athletically inept that she struggles to ride a bicycle.

I'm not sure how else you could explain the video.  The unfortunate part is that she doesn't really get up after she dumps the bike, b/c I guess she was knocked out.  She's lucky the bridge was designed the way it was.  It probably could have been designed to open a gap where she fell as it opened, in which case she would have ended up in the drink.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

She had enough coordination to somehow weave through the flashing gates without falling.  Either she is under the influence of something, or forgive me for saying....maybe a little “special?”

Fresh off the "short" school bus.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

She had enough coordination to somehow weave through the flashing gates without falling.  Either she is under the influence of something, or forgive me for saying....maybe a little “special?”

Well yeah but watch again!  She almost DID fall weaving through the gates.

It's either a case of zero coordination/athletic ability (some people struggle to ride a bike), or 2) alcohol, or 3) perhaps being special as you put it.

Actually, now that I re-think this, alcohol is probably the bet explanation here. 

It usually is.

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'This bicyclist isn't the smartest'.

Same observation made without wrongfully rightfully judging an entire group.

FTFY.

!@#$ the spandex mafia. 

gave up driving to work on July 1, take the subway now

i don't miss having to look out for the life and safety of every pedestrian and cyclist, when they don''t appear to care about it themselves

Edited by row_33

we have bicyclists down here who train for triathlons and they ride their bikes on 2 lane roads with 55MPH speed limits early in the morning, even after the city and county built 30 something miles of bike only trails out of old RR tracks.   Their thinking behind not using the trails..."we don't want to be caught behind slow pokes "walkers" while we are trying to go.

apparently the irony of that is lost on them.  

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

we have bicyclists down here who train for triathlons and they ride their bikes on 2 lane roads with 55MPH speed limits early in the morning, even after the city and county built 30 something miles of bike only trails out of old RR tracks.   Their thinking behind not using the trails..."we don't want to be caught behind slow pokes "walkers" while we are trying to go.

apparently the irony of that is lost on them.  

Same here.  I have to travel frequently to Montpelier for work.  The cyclists love route 100 which goes from Killington to route 89 which goes northeast.  Anyway, it’s a 2 lane road with a 50 mph speed limit, and they ride in groups of 3 or 4 blocking the lane.  Loads of bends and turns as you weave through the mountains, so it’s very difficult to pass.  Nearly every time you try to go around them they flip you off and throw a hissy fit.  I fantasize about running them over, and then backing up and running them over again in reverse.  Stupid a$&holes.

• Like (+1) 1

The bridge was well on it's way up, gates down, etc.  She's one of those a-hole bikers who demand equal respect as a car then turn around and break traffic laws.

She knew damn well what was going on, rode through to try and go over, then swerved to reconsider and while looking up didn't realize there's a big gap at the bottom of the lift also.  Oopsie!

I hope she gets cited.  She's "special" all right.