Attempting my first foray into smoking today

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

I've become a fan of the Minion method for maintaining heat in long cook times. But it uses charcoal, which is a no no for some purists.

-stack about 40 unlit pieces of charcoal in layers of 10. Layers should contain a few soaked hardwood chunks (not chips). They should be placed on one side of the grill (if using a Weber) for indirect heat/smoke.

-turn over the chimney and light about 10 pieces of charcoal.

-when ready, pour them evenly over the unlit coals.

-let it build to maximum heat, then adjust vents to get optimum temp. Be sure the top vent is not over the coals, for circulation.

I've been able to keep the temp evenly at around 250 +/- 10 degrees for 6 hours without having to touch anything. That's accurate enough for me. I know some aren't big on unlit coals where meat is...but I haven't noticed any chemical aftertaste.

No aftertaste? I'll give that a go sometime.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I light mine with lump charcoal.

But I cook with wood from trees I dropped myself, and I certainly dont break them down to chips or little chunks. That said, I don't smoke in a weber, I use a commercial side firebox smoker (I own a restauant) and have absolutely no problem keeping a steady 225 degrees for 20+ hours with a mix of Shag Hickory and Cherry or Apple. My smoker has 4 dampers on the firebox, and has the "reverse flow" baffle which makes it super easy to maintain temps.

I envy you in a way...but I couldn't justify the expense of a large commercial smoker for a family of 4. Well, if I did, I know what I'd be getting in the inevitable divorce.  I'm content with my 2 Webers. 

I do get my apple wood from an old neighbor who has a half dozen trees. He brings me a few limbs and I cut off what I need.

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

With a four pound chuck roast. Saw a recipe that interested me, figured I’d give it a shot. Helpful hints?

I hear The Waiting Is The Hardest Part...

Oh, wait...wrong "smoking."  

54 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I envy you in a way...but I couldn't justify the expense of a large commercial smoker for a family of 4. Well, if I did, I know what I'd be getting in the inevitable divorce.  I'm content with my 2 Webers. 

I do get my apple wood from an old neighbor who has a half dozen trees. He brings me a few limbs and I cut off what I need.

Absolutely.

I learned to smoke in a Weber Jumbo Joe. I still have it, but don't use it very often anymore since I brought home the old brick oven from the restaurant. I have cords upon cords of wood, so it's hard to justify 8 bucks a bag for charcoal when I can just split wood and burn it.

Honestly, if you wanted to step up, you could just get a smoker with the side-saddle firebox. You can pick them up for a couple hundred. Works very similar to as well as my Lang. I just need to big one obviously for volume's sake.

Or just keep doing what you are doing, since you are having good results. If it ain't broke, don't fix it so they say.

Cheers to outdoor cooking with fire!

35 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Best pot roast ever. Period.

Nothing better than cooking with wood!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I light mine with lump charcoal.

But I cook with wood from trees I dropped myself, and I certainly dont break them down to chips or little chunks. That said, I don't smoke in a weber, I use a commercial side firebox smoker (I own a restauant) and have absolutely no problem keeping a steady 225 degrees for 20+ hours with a mix of Shag Hickory and Cherry or Apple. My smoker has 4 dampers on the firebox, and has the "reverse flow" baffle which makes it super easy to maintain temps.

You smoke for the restaurant you own?

just curious where and what kind of smoker you use. 

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Check out that smoke ring!

084BF3DB-D99E-481B-93AB-C5D0AD445EDF.jpeg

Looks like a good ring for sure. How was it? Dry? Moist? A good bark? Not enough? Tender? Tough? 

Give us us the details. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mrags said:

Looks like a good ring for sure. How was it? Dry? Moist? A good bark? Not enough? Tender? Tough? 

Give us us the details. 

No bark, but moist and tender. Pretty tasty.

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Looks good from this angle. I'll take the leftovers. 

Lol leftovers

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Give us us the details. 

You ask a lot of questions. 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Take it easy, snowflake.

Guys like you, Mrags and JoeSix really upset me. That cow was some young kid's pet. The kid even took the time to name the cow "Chuck". And here you all are glorifying the smoke ring on a slab of beef. Do you think Chuck gives a damn how nice the smoke ring is on his slaughtered neck muscle? You all disgust me.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Guys like you, Mrags and JoeSix really upset me. That cow was some young kid's pet. The kid even took the time to name the cow "Chuck". And here you all are glorifying the smoke ring on a slab of beef. Do you think Chuck gives a damn how nice the smoke ring is on his slaughtered neck muscle? You all disgust me.

I take it you won’t be eating any of my smoke fatties or ribs for the home opener or the Monday night game then?