Brandon Beane: The Art of a Deal

18 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

I didn't like the way they tried to bring down his character to justify getting nothing for him. When he showed up late for game day their ego's became bruised so he had to go.  Beane and McDermott handled the situation like rookie managers who wanted to make an example out of someone to keep everyone else in line.. I see it everyday in corporate America. If he was that much of a problem Marrone would not have jumped to get him. Good read sprinkled with BS.

You might be correct but I disagree.

You get paid incredible sums of money, you really dont have a lot of responsibility and you have what 20 games a year.  One thing that is inexcusable is to show up late for a game/miss a bus or flight.   He was already on the hot seat for past mis-deeds.  Belichek put Brandon Spikes on IR because he was late for a team meeting (not a game) despite the fact he was caught in a snowstorm.  

If Belichek had traded Dareus people would be saying how brilliant and tough Beiihek is.

IMO, they abosultely did the right thing.

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You might be correct but I disagree.

You get paid incredible sums of money, you really dont have a lot of responsibility and you have what 20 games a year.  One thing that is inexcusable is to show up late for a game/miss a bus or flight.   He was already on the hot seat for past mis-deeds.  Belichek put Brandon Spikes on IR because he was late for a team meeting (not a game) despite the fact he was caught in a snowstorm.  

If Belichek had traded Dareus people would be saying how brilliant and tough Beiihek is.

IMO, they abosultely did the right thing.

Well, when you win 5 SBs and have Tom Brady, every decision is better.

and it’s easy to bench Spikes.  He wasn’t that good.  But there have been moves that have come back to bite them.  The Chandler Jones trade was completely awful and they are a much better team without him.  

IMO, it’s the nfl.  You win with talent. You don’t just give talent away and force yourself to play with Cedric Thornton.  We deserved to finally have the streak over.  But that was not a good team.  And on “paper”, it looks to be a worse team.  

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

By fire sale prices, I assume you are referring to Dareus.  JAX is assuming Dareus' $47M cap hit during the 2019-2021 season.  Plus Marcel was never going to buy into McD's system, so he became a headache no matter how talented he is.  I don't mind getting rid of Dareus which will allow Beane and McD significant room to bring in guys who they want and will not be a management nightmare.  So Bean may not be Negotiator of the Century, but he could be Roster Architect of potentially the Decade; time will tell on that.

I agree he was a talented player until he got paid. me first attitude and I would've traded him for a bag of golf balls. Couldn't stand the guy by the end of his time here.

Just now, Wsam4031 said:

I agree he was a talented player until he got paid. me first attitude and I would've traded him for a bag of golf balls. Couldn't stand the guy by the end of his time here.

Well that’s why some people shouldn’t be in charge.  You can’t let your personal feelings get in the way.  He still was our best DT and had value in the league.

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

And trading Tyrod for Pick 65 before his bonus was due when a lot of experts here were adamant they should just cut him as no one would even offer a 7th..

Most of the "experts" never worked on a NFL deal in their life. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well that’s why some people shouldn’t be in charge.  You can’t let your personal feelings get in the way.  He still was our best DT and had value in the league.

I definitely shouldn't be in charge. Some guys rub me the wrong way  and this dude was at the top of the list. I would guess he had almost no value in the league with that giant contract and bad attitude. surprised we got a 5th for him.  Im betting people weren't beating down the door for him

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think McDermott's and Beane's point is that yes, Dareus was a good player and had talent, but he could have been even better.  Dareus didn't want to put in the extra effort to be the best he could be, so it seems.  They made the right decision in this case, after trying to work with Dareus, and does not appear that they took the decision to trade him lightly.

3 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

I definitely shouldn't be in charge. Some guys rub me the wrong way  and this dude was at the top of the list. I would guess he had almost no value in the league with that giant contract and bad attitude. surprised we got a 5th for him.  Im betting people weren't beating down the door for him

You may be right but he has legit talent.  It’s funny some fans hate the contract he had but would have rioted if we let a 24 year old all pro walk for nothing.

and Dareus is the player I’ve always given the biggest benefit of the doubt too.  I know he’s rich and plays a game but he has been through a lot.  I know it sounds crazy but I’m not sure I’d trade the money to experience all those deaths. 

I thonk getting a 5th for a player that talent sucks, especially during a playoff run, & a cap hit.  I get there are other factors but the Jags got a pro bowl type talent with a chip on his shoulder for nothing.

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think McDermott's and Beane's point is that yes, Dareus was a good player and had talent, but he could have been even better.  Dareus didn't want to put in the extra effort to be the best he could be, so it seems.  They made the right decision in this case, after trying to work with Dareus, and does not appear that they took the decision to trade him lightly.

That’s fair.  And while it’s mainly on the player, I think the coach needs to be held accountable too.  It’s a lot easier to find a head coach than a DT who had a Warren Sapp start to his career.  But I hope they are right.

19 hours ago, VADC Bills said:

I didn't like the way they tried to bring down his character to justify getting nothing for him. When he showed up late for game day their ego's became bruised so he had to go.  Beane and McDermott handled the situation like rookie managers who wanted to make an example out of someone to keep everyone else in line.. I see it everyday in corporate America. If he was that much of a problem Marrone would not have jumped to get him. Good read sprinkled with BS.

They didn't try to bring down his character to justify anything. Dareus did that all on his own. If character wasn't an issue, even with his salary and potential health issue, the Jags would have offered more than a 6th for a former 3rd overall pick. He was arguably the best DT in football for a couple years, and not that long ago. 

I don't think it had anything to do with "bruised egos". It was about being accountable, and setting the right example. When you're paid as much as he was, the team has certain expectations, on and off the field. Dareus did not adhere, and Beane and McDermott cut the cancer out. And with such a high salary, it made that decision easier. They weren't "rookie managers" IMO. It was the smart, responsible thing to do for the club.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You may be right but he has legit talent.  It’s funny some fans hate the contract he had but would have rioted if we let a 24 year old all pro walk for nothing.

and Dareus is the player I’ve always given the biggest benefit of the doubt too.  I know he’s rich and plays a game but he has been through a lot.  I know it sounds crazy but I’m not sure I’d trade the money to experience all those deaths. 

I thonk getting a 5th for a player that talent sucks, especially during a playoff run, & a cap hit.  I get there are other factors but the Jags got a pro bowl type talent with a chip on his shoulder for nothing.

That’s fair.  And while it’s mainly on the player, I think the coach needs to be held accountable too.  It’s a lot easier to find a head coach than a DT who had a Warren Sapp start to his career.  But I hope they are right.

dude def has legit talent. I never hated that contract it wasn't my money and it was going rate for a top teir DT at the time. What I hated was how he seemed to quit, kept getting in trouble, and seemed to think he was bigger than the team( being consistently late, taking plays and games off, thinking his way was the only way) after he got that money

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...perhaps Chapter 2 of his deal making IMO.....in the market to sign a vet QB....I believe the blown Cleveland deal had McCarron valued at a 2nd or 3rd.....so the FA feeding frenzy begins and ends yet McBeane doesn't make a move, calmly waiting for agents to come calling for their unemployed clients.....and he snags McCarron on HIS terms.....or even Chapter 3 to move up draft time to 12 and then again to 7 to select (hopefully) the franchise QB (Allen) without surrendering much draft capital......of course, the jury is out on BOTH, but I would say both deals were artful so far.......

i hear so many people claim with authority how we waited all the way through fa and scraped a.j. off the heap. if i recall the top free agents already had destinations and foles wasn't going to get moved. also, there was this matter of when a.j. won his suit, so i don't see it as sitting on hands.  signing a.j. to a 2 yr. deal 48 hrs. after the verdict does not seem to me out of the ordinary to put ink to paper. he has the skills and desire to get us 10-6. i believe nate can do it too. i believe in dabol.

one other thing was the browns valuing him as a 2nd and 3rd deal...was a trade deadline deal that didn't happen.

Edited by billsredneck1

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

dude def has legit talent. I never hated that contract it wasn't my money and it was going rate for a top teir DT at the time. What I hated was how he seemed to quit, kept getting in trouble, and seemed to think he was bigger than the team( being consistently late, taking plays and games off, thinking his way was the only way) after he got that money

I think it was a bunch of factors: 1) his brother getting murdered 2) it’s always risky to play big guys IMO 3) Rex’s stupid system which he hated and was right about.  

And obviously, he didn’t click with McDermott.  Even with everything I’d still rather have him than a 5th but it’s done now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was a great, no brainer deal for the Jags.  For all his faults, our run defense was much better when Dareus was on the team (and the Jags improved tremendously after getting him) .  Trading him at that point in the season made no sense.  

Now, Dareus is super motivated and we gave big money to a 1-2 down DT in a passing league (for the record, I like star but he is becoming an outdated player).  

Dareus had almost as many sacks in one season as Star had in his career. Dareus also never had Kuechley and Thomas Davis behind him.  

What I know for sure is that Star is going to come into camp in shape. That can't be said for Dareus. What I also know for sure is that Star is going to be diligent in preparing to play. That can't be said for Dareus. What I know for sure is that Star is going to stay awake in the film room. That can't be said for Dareus. Moving Dareus sooner rather than later was the right thing for the team and for Dareus. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BritBill said:

I can't access the article as the WGR websites restricts users from outside the US. Please can somebody paste the article on here if possible?

Thank you.

If you download the Opera browser, I believe it comes with a free VPN. Using that you should be able to make WGR think you are inside the US and view the article. Not a 100% sure, but worth a shot.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

He got pretty good value for Sammy and Darby.  Dareus not so much, but his contract was an albatross.

point being that doug whaley had us on the fast track to salary cap hell, which would have held our heads under water for the next 5 yrs. beane had to make moves.

• Like (+1) 1

We can nitpick his decisions but I like a GM who has a clear vision of what kind of team he wants and then aggressively goes out and gets the players he needs, jettisoning the players that don't fit his vision.

And so far, McD and Beane seem to be working together for a shared vision.  

I'm cautiously optimistic about this duo.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

By fire sale prices, I assume you are referring to Dareus.  JAX is assuming Dareus' $47M cap hit during the 2019-2021 season.  Plus Marcel was never going to buy into McD's system, so he became a headache no matter how talented he is.  I don't mind getting rid of Dareus which will allow Beane and McD significant room to bring in guys who they want and will not be a management nightmare.  So Bean may not be Negotiator of the Century, but he could be Roster Architect of potentially the Decade; time will tell on that.

Not entirely.  Dareus was one top-5, enormously talented pick who had become an enormous liability.  To change team culture, your highest paid guys have to be the heart and soul of the team, the leaders, the ones who go the extra mile both in preparation/training and in how they play - every snap.  It was clear Dareus was not that guy, and was not going to be that guy.  So I don't blame Beane for unloading him.  I shudder at the thought of a 5th round pick as "fair compensation", but I understand the need to take a "fire sale" trade because of the enormous salary burden the trade partner was taking on.  Dareus was traded for a 5th round and ~$47M of cap space from 2019-2021.  That is probably fair value for the player he has been for the last 3 seasons and the salary regained.

Watkins also made sense, giving up a 6th and a guy we weren't gonna re-sign (so a 1 year rental) for a 1 year rental of EJ Gaines and a 2nd round pick.  Again, probably fair value for the player Watkins had shown himself (not) to be.

In trading Ragland, Darby, Watkins, and Seymour, Beane traded away young inexpensive guys who have talent and can play in the NFL, on their first contract, for relative fire-sale prices.   No one has tagged these guys as anything but good teammates and hard workers.   None of them were cap burdens.

Ragland: 3 years rookie deal left, 2nd round draftee traded for 4th round pick

Darby: 2 years rookie deal left, 2nd round draftee traded for 3rd round pick and 1-year rental of Matthews, a WR who contributed 2.5 catches and 28 ypg - when he played.

Seymour: a 6th round draftee who had shown he could play in the NFL and had 3 years left on his rookie deal, for a speedy PR/WR on his 5th team, on a 1- yr deal and waived in less than 2 months and a 2019 7th

Now you might say they were "bad scheme fits" here, and maybe they were.  It's just, seems like the best GMs and coaches manage somehow to make use of the talent they have.  And clearly, if Matthews and Clay had worked out for us and we'd been able to re-sign them and Gaines for a reasonable cost, I'd probably view it differently.

Again, I want to like the article.  I'm just not impressed by how the trades worked out for us.  Obviously if the players we got with that 2nd and 4th round pick prove out, and if Benjamin looks good this year, then Beane's a genius.

Good article.

Here's what I like: 45 year old Sal Capaccio sees his media colleagues like Sullivan, Gleason, etc. cranking out derivative columns for the last ten years. Now they're out of work. Capaccio doesn't normally write longer stuff like this thing - good for him to stretch himself in the summer time.

As for Beane himself, he and McDermott have the same ability to be forthright about their perspective, while also keeping total control on the actual inner workings of the organization.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think it was a bunch of factors: 1) his brother getting murdered 2) it’s always risky to play big guys IMO 3) Rex’s stupid system which he hated and was right about.  

And obviously, he didn’t click with McDermott.  Even with everything I’d still rather have him than a 5th but it’s done now.

Sure he might have hated Rex's system, but he played half a season under McD and still didn't give maximum effort.  The guy just doesn't have the drive to do more than the bare minimum (or slightly above) to keep cashing paychecks and is just getting by on his talent.  When you see that, you realize he'll never live up to his contract or be the player he once was and that you need to get his poor attitude and example, as well as money, off the team ASAP. 

And again, the team made the playoffs without him, Sammy, or Darby.  That's a lot of talent to shed and still make the playoffs.  So either the team is greater than the sum of the individual talents or they had a lot of remaining talent.

• Like (+1) 1

he relies on Overdorf for assistance

Well that's a concern. To me, Overdorf is the common denominator in a Bills pattern of excessive contract extensions.

The fact that Overdorf is the firewall to an incoming trade contract... no warm and fuzzy.