Harley Davidson

---

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/25/the-first-layoffs-from-trumps-tariffs-are-here/?utm_term=.12191f74e27b

The first casualties of President Trump's trade war are 60 workers at Mid-Continent Nail, America's largest nail manufacturer. They lost their jobs on June 15 at a factory in a part of Missouri that voted overwhelmingly for Trump. The whole company could be out of business by Labor Day.

This is a potential game changer in Trump's trade strategy, especially if it marks the start of more companies announcing layoffs. On Monday, Harley-Davidson said it will be moving some “production” offshore because of the trade war (Europe hit Harley with a 31 percent tariff in response to Trump's steel tariffs on Europe). Harley won't confirm if jobs are leaving the United States, but the union representing many Harley workers, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, is worried.

The Trump administration has argued that these tariffs will save jobs and that the cost to America will be minor. But now there are real job losses. Now there is a human face on the pain that so many trade experts have been warning about.

The political pressure on Trump to stop the tariffs (especially on America's allies) is likely to escalate. In Missouri, a state with a close U.S. Senate race, the layoffs are already becoming a hot election issue. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) is planning a rally by the nail plant on Friday.

Haley opened its first overseas plant in 2014 (India) during the Obama administration. .  Union mgmt criticized the move during the Obama admin, suggesting Harley was taking jobs from American workers. 

Harley planned for a plant in Thailand during the Obama admin, started construction on the any in May, 2017....because tariffs imposed by international players during the Obama made it extremely difficult for Harley to pimp their rides overseas.  In fact, the company is looking to expand market share in the Asian market, was during the Obama admin, and now during the Trump admin. 

if you're just catching up, things happened before Pravda reported Trump screwing Harley today. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

223,000 jobs gained in May, 60 jobs lost in June.

I'd call that a win.

Harley Davison is gonna do what they feel they need to do to stay alive. Anyone who has followed their saga knows they are hanging on by a thread. If caving to the EU is what they need to do to avoid tariffs and stay alive, so be it. The US is still  222,940 jobs ahead in the last month. (Will adjust when the June numbers come out.)

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The first casualties of President Trump's trade war are 60 workers at Mid-Continent Nail, America's largest nail manufacturer. They lost their jobs on June 15 at a factory in a part of Missouri that voted overwhelmingly for Trump. The whole company could be out of business by Labor Day.

This is a line of crap simply because I work for the company that owns the largest nail manufacturer in the states... Our biggest problem in the past has always been illegal dumping, that is cheap knockoff nails made usually someplace like China, Thailand, or Vietnam. 60 workers is a mom and pop operation that let illegal dumping over the years do them in, not something that just now happened because of Trump

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Cinga said:

This is a line of crap simply because I work for the company that owns the largest nail manufacturer in the states... Our biggest problem in the past has always been illegal dumping, that is cheap knockoff nails made usually someplace like China, Thailand, or Vietnam. 60 workers is a mom and pop operation that let illegal dumping over the years do them in, not something that just now happened because of Trump

Did I just read that cheap knock-offs of nails are hurting Big Fastener?

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Did I just read that cheap knock-offs of nails are hurting Big Fastener?

Bad choice of words? Usually it has to do with a legitimate US company, approached by a counterfeiter,  willing to sell to you cheap to get their product into the country. Easy way to bypass import tariffs so you can undersell anyone else. 

So no, not if cheap knock off is breaking rules to come in through the back door. 

33 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Tariffs can be debated but if Bernie were elected he'd be doing similar things and most in this thread would be taking the opposite side of the argument from their current position.

If you're only referring to tariffs, I agree. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Tariffs can be debated but if Bernie were elected he'd be doing similar things and most in this thread would be taking the opposite side of the argument from their current position.

LOL at thinking that if Bernie was elected, the DNC wouldn't have forced him to take Hilly as VP and then offed him by Easter.

11 hours ago, Cinga said:

I know it's hard to facts through to you Trump cultists, but that place is closing because of Trump's incredibly stupid tariff war.