Does anyone else plan on getting a subscription to The Athletic?

JGMcD2

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

True story: Micro$oft had already advertised their brower with marketing and their big "IE" logo with name "Internet Exploder" with blurb about Micro$oft exploding onto browser market.

Someone pointed out that when it crashed people would say that the browser "exploded" so marketing guys came up with idea to call it "Internet Explorer" instead and claim it was a typo.

Problem was the copyright for "Internet Explorer" was owned by someone and when Micro$oft tried to buy him out he refused.  They tried to use their laywers to hammer down with legal costs but he resisted for years until Micro$oft conceded and paid him hundreds of millions of dollars.

Words have meaning and trying to change the meaning because you do not like it does not make it right.

ahh.okay..have no clue what this means or how it relates to the conversation or if it is even remotely close to accurate.

My point was you assuming someone who uses Twitter is a twit,..its just plain ass dumb and comes across in your posts. You don't like twitter..sure I get it. Well not really, cause you have self-admitted to never having used or even visited twitter..but you have declared everyone who does..like the rest of the planet, to be less than intelligent.

And you wonder why someone might not agree with you

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Clue me in on this...

A flip comment, merely exploring the possibility that his abrasive nature with others through social media could escalate into real world social interactions that one or both parties would seek relief from.

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My point was you assuming someone who uses Twitter is a twit,..its just plain ass dumb and comes across in your posts. You don't like twitter..sure I get it. Well not really, cause you have self-admitted to never having used or even visited twitter..but you have declared everyone who does..like the rest of the planet, to be less than intelligent.

And you wonder why someone might not agree with you

I have visited because the pasted snips are unreadable in my browser.  Do not have an account and will not get one.

The point was the site is called twitter. Words have meaning so I'd have same opinion of someone following a service called pileofdogcrap no matter how it is marketed.  We will just have to disagree on this matter.

twit1
twit/
noun
informal

1. a silly or foolish person

9 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

I'm going to subscribe.

FWIW, I love Tim Graham. I have a feeling if he spent his Twitter time pwning libs, he'd be more popular locally.

I'm not a huge fan of Tim's acerbic personality, especially on social media. However, I think he's one of the most naturally gifted raconteurs I've read in sports journalism. I've read some of his work on subjects that I have little to no interest in and, somehow, Tim has an innate ability to connect with me as the reader.

I'll probably give it a little time before subscribing but I'm more inclined to pay for content if Tim is writing it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bbb said:

More shots fired:

You'd think the guy is still in high school; so ridiculous and petty.  This backs up my perception, however.  If a young reporter "kisses the ring" of Timmy he is supportive; basically, if you want Graham to "have your back" you lather him with praise.  Criticize him for any reason (legitimate or not) and you incur his "wrath."

So glad I don't follow his Twitter nonsense any more, and haven't for several years.  I'll happily read his articles since they're usually pretty good.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I have visited because the pasted snips are unreadable in my browser.  Do not have an account and will not get one.

The point was the site is called twitter. Words have meaning so I'd have same opinion of someone following a service called pileofdogcrap no matter how it is marketed.  We will just have to disagree on this matter.

twit1
twit/
noun
informal

1. a silly or foolish person

and again my point..how could anyway take what you say as offensive or derogatory... I just can't figure it out?

I mean 330 million users last month...everyone one of them must be a TWIT as you don't use it! 

On June 18, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Zac said:

I have been a subscriber.  It's more than worth it.  The articles by Fairburn and Cover 1 today are better than any Bills article i've read in months with the exception of Graham's pieces on Allen.

Man that was a good article.

plus Fairburn and Baker...I'm thinking about it.

4 hours ago, fridge said:

More childish and manufactured workplace drama? Riveting.

Mike Harrington still memorializes the time he made Lindy snap during a press conference in his Twitter Bio.  Lindy was/is my favorite Buffalo coach of all time.  I endorse this workplace drama if it uncovers what a total boob Harrington really is.  

4 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'm not a huge fan of Tim's acerbic personality, especially on social media. However, I think he's one of the most naturally gifted raconteurs I've read in sports journalism. I've read some of his work on subjects that I have little to no interest in and, somehow, Tim has an innate ability to connect with me as the reader.

I'll probably give it a little time before subscribing but I'm more inclined to pay for content if Tim is writing it.

Again, I think Tim is a pretty decent reporter, when he wants to be. But "gifted raconteur" how I'd describe him. Wawrow is more the "raconteur" type, even if he can't really show it in his daily writing. Maybe just a matter of personal taste.

I should have brought this up earlier. The OP of this thread has exactly 2 posts, including starting this thread. IMO that makes this an advertisement, disguised as content. Horrible practice, IMO. Honestly, had I noticed that earlier, I wouldn't supported the thread with any content. We should be better educated, more scrupulous consumers.

• Like (+1) 5

34 minutes ago, stony said:

Mike Harrington still memorializes the time he made Lindy snap during a press conference in his Twitter Bio.  Lindy was/is my favorite Buffalo coach of all time.  I endorse this workplace drama if it uncovers what a total boob Harrington really is.  

Didn't Harrington resort to some name calling years ago on Twitter, name calling that called a person's mental capabilities into question by using an unacceptable term?  Graham's social media persona seems to be that of a jerk, but is Harrington as pure and blameless as the driven snow?

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Again, I think Tim is a pretty decent reporter, when he wants to be. But "gifted raconteur" how I'd describe him. Wawrow is more the "raconteur" type, even if he can't really show it in his daily writing. Maybe just a matter of personal taste.

I think it's entirely personal taste. I've done a bit of blogging before and Tim is a writer that I looked up to during that time. The way he writes definitely resonates with me.

As far as Wawrow goes; I think John is definitely in that raconteur class, primarily through Twitter. His flair and vocabulary come out to play.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Didn't Harrington resort to some name calling years ago on Twitter, name calling that called a person's mental capabilities into question by using an unacceptable term?  Graham's social media persona seems to be that of a jerk, but is Harrington as pure and blameless as the driven snow?

They are the two worst on twitter.  They deserve each other. 

• Like (+1) 1