Josh Allen to start getting some 1st team reps

Is anybody really surprised by this?  If it hadn't happened today, it would have happened tomorrow or Thursday.  I agree that it is not at all likely he begins the season as the Bills' starter.  This is about the Bills coaching staff laying a foundation for the when the day comes that he is starter.  That day is almost inevitable given that Allen was a 7th overall pick.  He would have to suck pretty bad not to become starter at some point.  

I listened to the recording of Allen's interview on One Bills Live yesterday.  He did say that he has mostly caught up with McCarron and Peterman in his knowledge of the offense.  That's not too surprising.  He's extremely smart, so you would expect he would catch up at some point.  He's still a rookie though, and regardless of how smart you are there's stuff that takes time to learn and adjust to.  McCarron and Peterman have, I believe, enough ability that the Bills shouldn't be pressured to start Allen until he's really ready.

Sound like some weasel words here.

"Josh Allen is going to continue to get reps with the third unit, but we’ll mix him in with the starters"

does this mean he will actually be running plays with the starting offense, or they will put a few starters in with the 3rd stringers?

the process is mysterious at times.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t want to rush him, especially because the talent on offense is bad, but shouldn’t a top 10 pick qb be able to beat or at least look physically superior to former 5th rounders?

Should in my view, but I think they drafted the guy with a lower floor while looking at the higher ceiling... he can still be special even if he’s a back up this year.

If he can’t subplant Peterman quickly, well that just won’t be good news...

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Should in my view, but I think they drafted the guy with a lower floor while looking at the higher ceiling... he can still be special even if he’s a back up this year.

If he can’t subplant Peterman quickly, well that just won’t be good news...

I think it’s an interesting comparison between Allen and AJ.  AJ had a far superior career winning championships and competing in the level closet to the NFL than Allen.  Yet, he is basically a backup, no upside qb.  I don’t need Allen to win the job but show flashes where it looks like we have an elite talent.

16 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I think they like Peterman.

They like him enough to keep him on the practice squad.  He may be on the opening day roster, but don't be surprised if Derek Anderson shows up in Buffalo around 9/10 or shortly thereafter when they can sign a veteran & not guarantee the contract.  

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Sound like some weasel words here.

"Josh Allen is going to continue to get reps with the third unit, but we’ll mix him in with the starters"

does this mean he will actually be running plays with the starting offense, or they will put a few starters in with the 3rd stringers?

the process is mysterious at times.

He will be rotating in periodically with the 1s. Along with McCarron and Peterman. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They like him enough to keep him on the practice squad.  He may be on the opening day roster, but don't be surprised if Derek Anderson shows up in Buffalo around 9/10 or shortly thereafter when they can sign a veteran & not guarantee the contract.  

I think they want a young team. In Phily and Carolina McDermott's been around young teams with young starters. If I had to guess I'd say Peterman or Allen will start for this team.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the best thing for him to do at this stage is to make mistakes. Don’t try too hard to be careful. No doubt the coverage guys will explain to him what they saw with his eyes and mechanics that tipped them off. It will only help him.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the way McD and Daboll are bringing him along. I thought right after the draft that he would likely start on opening day, I think he should start on opening day. Of course they may have him sit a few games but this is the correct trajectory as of right now. 

5 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I think the best thing for him to do at this stage is to make mistakes. Don’t try too hard to be careful. No doubt the coverage guys will explain to him what they saw with his eyes and mechanics that tipped them off. It will only help him.

it's practice. When practicing, it's good to work on things you're not good at.  This whole bit of sportswriters tweeting out results of eAch pass is over the top IMHO. 

Let the guys work. Well see what they hAve come September

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t have anything against McCarron or even Peterman tbh, just want best Qb to play. But I have found myself rooting for Allen to win the job. Only if he’s the best one, of course, but I guess I’m just hoping that he beats them out. 

Makes perfect sense.  In an ideal world McCarron's and Peterman's camps would place them as the second and third best quarterbacks in the league, only to be blown out of the water by Allen who steals the job by profiling as the greatest quarterback of all time.

Obviously that's hyperbole designed to generate groans and laughs, but if you stop and think about it of course we want Allen to win the job.  It would validate the pick even further, and give the fan base hope that our "QB purgatory" is finally over.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Makes perfect sense.  In an ideal world McCarron's and Peterman's camps would place them as the second and third best quarterbacks in the league, only to be blown out of the water by Allen who steals the job by profiling as the greatest quarterback of all time.

Obviously that's hyperbole designed to generate groans and laughs, but if you stop and think about it of course we want Allen to win the job.  It would validate the pick even further, and give the fan base hope that our "QB purgatory" is finally over.

Agreed. Although there is an enormous different between winning the job by default because the other guys stink and winning it because you played great. I personally want him to start immediately and think he will, but the plurality of my thinking is because our offense will get killed without his big arm/threat. And that's more about the other guys losing the job than Josh winning it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agreed. Although there is an enormous different between winning the job by default because the other guys stink and winning it because you played great. I personally want him to start immediately and think he will, but the plurality of my thinking is because our offense will get killed without his big arm/threat. And that's more about the other guys losing the job than Josh winning it. 

100% agreed.

You'd want Allen to win it, as opposed to the other guys losing it.

Allen attempted a pass that was broken up by Micah Hyde.  I don't know if it was one where Hyde tipped the ball and Edmunds intercepted it, but regardless, I liked what Allen said in his press conference.  He said that after the play he went up to Hyde and asked him what he saw that enabled him to break on the ball and break up the pass.  Hyde's respons was that it was Allen's eyes-where he was looking.  The important thing is that Allen is taking time to get the perspective of the DBs, not just relying on what he coaches are telling him.  Obviously, his intention is to learn from everything and everyone, and use that to get better.  Presumably, every QB has that attitude coming out of college.  It may be that some are more thorough than others.  Allen looks like he's pretty thorough.  Hopefully, he's also good at transferring what he learns into his own performance.

• Like (+1) 13

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

100% agreed.

You'd want Allen to win it, as opposed to the other guys losing it.

Yep. I actually think it's going to be a good amount of both. I'm really liking what Josh is doing so far. Love the guy already (nothing to do with how he will play in a regular season game). 

I know this stuff happens all the time in practice, but it was great to hear him say right after the first OTA in his career that immediately after practice, in which he threw an INT to a pass tipped by Micah Hyde, he went right up to Micah and asked what he saw. Hyde said he saw his eyes and Josh took note. Simple stuff and explanation but great that Josh just did that immediately day one mistake one, and saying that playing against Hyde and Poyer in practice is different than against other guys.

Again, simple if not obvious. But he was saying that the guys on the twos and threes and in college were just as fast but not making the breaks on the ball or the instincts that the starters do. I'm really happy with Allen so far even though he wasn't my first couple choices, like a lot of us. 

Just now, TigerJ said:

Allen attempted a pass that was broken up by Micah Hyde.  I don't know if it was one where Hyde tipped the ball and Edmunds intercepted it, but regardless, I liked what Allen said in his press conference.  He said that after the play he went up to Hyde and asked him what he saw that enabled him to break on the ball and break up the pass.  Hyde's respons was that it was Allen's eyes-where he was looking.  The important thing is that Allen is taking time to get the perspective of the DBs, not just relying on what he coaches are telling him.  Obviously, his intention is to learn from everything and everyone, and use that to get better.  Presumably, every QB has that attitude coming out of college.  It may be that some are more thorough than others.  Allen looks like he's pretty thorough.  Hopefully, he's also good at transferring what he learns into his own performance.

While you posted that I was typing the exact same thing. ;)

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. I actually think it's going to be a good amount of both. I'm really liking what Josh is doing so far. Love the guy already (nothing to do with how he will play in a regular season game). 

I know this stuff happens all the time in practice, but it was great to hear him say right after the first OTA in his career that immediately after practice, in which he threw an INT to a pass tipped by Micah Hyde, he went right up to Micah and asked what he saw. Hyde said he saw his eyes and Josh took note. Simple stuff and explanation but great that Josh just did that immediately day one mistake one, and saying that playing against Hyde and Poyer in practice is different than against other guys.

Again, simple if not obvious. But he was saying that the guys on the twos and threes and in college were just as fast but not making the breaks on the ball or the instincts that the starters do. I'm really happy with Allen so far even though he wasn't my first couple choices, like a lot of us. 

That's a tremendous way for a guy at a position you want to profile as a team leader to start becoming exactly that.

By the nature of the game, he's going to have more intimate working relationships with the guys who play on his side of the ball, but he'll built a lot of credibility with the defensive unit as well by doing those sorts of things if he can actually make improvements to his game based on their feedback.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

24 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

While you posted that I was typing the exact same thing. ;)

Damn, and I just took this to mean Allen has slow eyes...

;)

• Haha (+1) 3