[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

DUFFER: After some signings and a big trade, a look at the depth chart

It's July 2 and general manager Jason Botterill probably isn't done.

So consider this more of an exercise to show what the Sabres have, rather than where these players might play.

It's also a good time to reiterate what head coach Phil Housley said on April 9: "What are they willing to change?"

The individuals who figure that out clearly have openings to grab hold of:

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

This whole trade came to Bergland being a Swede. Trade not made if a Swede is not included.

BTW @JohnC , i be drinking two beers at the opener now! 

I'm very happy that so far the Sabres haven't included Nylander in any of the deals. I'm not giving up on him. I'm hoping that in a year or two he becomes a regular on one of the top two lines. There is too much skill level to be impatient with him. I would like to see more passion from this placid personality. 

Remember, when imbibing do it slow and steady. Chugging and guzzling are usually done by slobs who end up peeing in the bushes. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'd throw Ristolainen in with that list.  He's asked to do too much at this point, but if Dahlin comes even close to what he's expected to be, suddenly Ristolainen becomes a very effective player on this team.

I like Risto a lot. In my view he should be the top player in the second pairing. Or at best he should be the second defenseman with the top pair. It's obvious that when you are one of the better players on a bad team it affects how a player is used and the amount of time he is used. As you smartly noted at this early stage in his career/development he was called on to do too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Remember, when imbibing do it slow and steady. Chugging and guzzling are usually done by slobs who end up peeing in the bushes. 

1.  It cuts down on water usage; no need to flush.

2.  It usually dissuades neighbourhood dogs from doing the same.

3.  You can't buy beer - only rent it.  And remember, there's only one thing worse than a Labatt's '50'.  A warm Labatt's '50'.

And defense is the one position where I'd say that you can never have too much talent.  I think you can overcome deficiencies among the forwards much easier than among the blue line.  Now I know some might say that Pittsburgh won back to back cups with a mediocre group of defensemen, but that's a hell of a lot easier when you've got a center combo of Crosby and Malkin.  Also, right now, this isn't about winning the cup.  It's about getting back to respectable hockey, a team that actually wins a good number of their games.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ristolainen should be included in the young core.  

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'd throw Ristolainen in with that list.  He's asked to do too much at this point, but if Dahlin comes even close to what he's expected to be, suddenly Ristolainen becomes a very effective player on this team.

Ok, you've convinced me.  There's no question he was being put in a bad position and could thrive on the 2nd pair.

15 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The return is interesting.  Another first in 2019, a second in 2021, Tage Thompson (pick 26 in 2016), Sobotka, and Berglund.  Berglund has always been frustrating because he flashes the power forward skills at times, then disappears.  Sobotka is a pest...bottom six guy.

I'm happy with the deal. The Blues got the best player while in my mind the key for Buffalo is getting the picks and Tage Thompson, a young player with upside. Botterill was determined to shake up the room and get a better mix. And without question he is accomplishing that. 

Make no mistake our GM is building for the future. He is trying to piece together some good young players who will grow together. He is a strategic thinker compared to the more tactical former GM. Overall, I like what he has done. Are the Sabres a playoff team? At best a fringe team but a team with an upward trajectory. 

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

And defense is the one position where I'd say that you can never have too much talent.  I think you can overcome deficiencies among the forwards much easier than among the blue line.  Now I know some might say that Pittsburgh won back to back cups with a mediocre group of defensemen, but that's a hell of a lot easier when you've got a center combo of Crosby and Malkin.  Also, right now, this isn't about winning the cup.  It's about getting back to respectable hockey, a team that actually wins a good number of their games.

You are astute, perspicacious and adroit. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I'm happy with the deal. The Blues got the best player while in my mind the key for Buffalo is getting the picks and Tage Thompson, a young player with upside. Botterill was determined to shake up the room and get a better mix. And without question he is accomplishing that. 

Make no mistake our GM is building for the future. He is trying to piece together some good young players who will grow together. He is a strategic thinker compared to the more tactical former GM. Overall, I like what he has done. Are the Sabres a playoff team? At best a fringe team but a team with an upward trajectory. 

There are several parallels if one looks at what the Bills' and Sabres' respective GMs have done/are trying to do in a very short period of time.  Maybe the Pegulas finally got it right with these strategic men at both positions.

I couldn't care less about losing ROR's ability on the ice for the Sabres this season.  I wish him no ill will but a player of his supposed caliber should never have said the things he said after the season.  If he is successful in St. Louis it's fine with me, but I hope several years from now the Sabres are easily deemed the victor in this transaction.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's funny is "Team Stormcloud" is reforming over at SabreSpace and they are breaking out the pitchforks and torches for Bots.

25 minutes ago, eball said:

There are several parallels if one looks at what the Bills' and Sabres' respective GMs have done/are trying to do in a very short period of time.  Maybe the Pegulas finally got it right with these strategic men at both positions.

I couldn't care less about losing ROR's ability on the ice for the Sabres this season.  I wish him no ill will but a player of his supposed caliber should never have said the things he said after the season.  If he is successful in St. Louis it's fine with me, but I hope several years from now the Sabres are easily deemed the victor in this transaction.

Im with you on all counts, especially the hope that they did finally get it right.

There is no way ROR could remain on this team after his, what turn out to be parting comments. That the Sabres were able to get as much value out of the trade, when everyone knew he had to be traded, is more than I expected.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

The same as its been since we drafted Eichel.  Piss poor.

Eichel needs to stay healthy. Reinhart came into his own at the end of last season while Jack was out. These two need to spend every minute together to form a good chemistry. I’ll be shocked if we don’t win the Stanley Cup next year 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Quite honestly, I'd say that Murray's biggest error was that he pulled the trigger too soon.  That group should have been allowed to grow together a bit before they made all the trades to add in the bigger pieces.  So far that appears to be the difference here.  I fully expect the trades to come, but the team is going to be allowed to gel first.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

And yet I have no idea what any of these words mean.

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a long story. One you'd probably not want to know.

And should never be mentioned again, an annoying clique mentality that ruined a lot of good things.

49 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Eichel needs to stay healthy. Reinhart came into his own at the end of last season while Jack was out. These two need to spend every minute together to form a good chemistry. I’ll be shocked if we don’t win the Stanley Cup next year 

I'll take that bet but you seem very sure so I want odds.  3/1 they don't win the Cup next year.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Im with you on all counts, especially the hope that they did finally get it right.

There is no way ROR could remain on this team after his, what turn out to be parting comments. That the Sabres were able to get as much value out of the trade, when everyone knew he had to be traded, is more than I expected.

That's what a lot of people don't seem to take into account. 

How TF do you bring him back after those comments? 

-He infers that he became ok with losing. 

-He says he is not mentally tough as a player

- he talks about how on a lot of nights he was ok with just not making a mistake

- he says he lost himself many times during the season 

- says he was "lost right from the get go" this year

- he says he lost his love for the game many times during the season 

- says he used to hate losing. It used to drive him and now he has kind of become ok with it (at times) to cope with all the losing. 

- he talks about playing in the worlds and how he's excited, and how it's been a long time since he's felt that excitement to play hockey (and try to win something). He says howmitll be nice to get that excitement to play hockey back, and hopefully he can carry that into next year

- after hearing his comments, a stunned reporter asked him if he needs to be moved and he says - "do I need to be moved? (pause) Umm... (pause) no."   

Mind you, he had days to think about these answers. It wasn't a heat of the moment thing. They seem like calculated answers to me. 

That is a whole whole lot of bomb shells to be dropping on a GM you know damn well is looking to change out some of the core. 

I feel like ROR knew what he was doing. Knowing the GMwas looking to make changes, ROR admits to the press that he basically embodies just about every problem that plagued the Sabres last year. 

It was almost like he was raising raising his hand and yelling "hey, pick me, pick me! I volunteer (to move on)" 

2 hours ago, eball said:

You are spot on. There is a difference between accumulating talent and building a team. In both sports you have to have the right mix of players that go beyond talent. Beane is certainly a big upgrade over Whaley and Botterill seems to have a more coherent vision than Murray. What is noticeable and maybe more evident with the football franchise is that the GMs are in sync with the coaches. The Whaley and Rex and Whaley and Marrone tandems were like teammates in a tug of war contest pulling against instead of with each other. It seems that the Pegulas learned from their inaugural mistakes. That's a good sign. 

I have no problem with what ROR said after the season was concluded. He was being brutally honest describing his feelings about how the systemic losing affected him. I'm not condemning him for being frank about his feelings. I rather have him be honest about how he felt rather than be  inauthentic how he felt. Stemming from his exit interview it was evident that he didn't want to be there any longer and the GM basically agreed with him. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's funny is "Team Stormcloud" is reforming over at SabreSpace and they are breaking out the pitchforks and torches for Bots.

The "Team Stromcloud: can take their pitchforks and torches and shove it up their lower apertures. This was a deal that was the right thing to do for ROR; and it was the right thing to do for the organization. 

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The "Team Stromcloud: can take their pitchforks and torches and shove it up their lower apertures. This was a deal that was the right thing to do for ROR; and it was the right thing to do for the organization. 

Against better judgment I went through the thread.  It struck me odd that they complained most that Botts didn't get a D-man in return.  The proper response would have been - yeah, sure would have been nice to get Myers, Pysyk & McNabb in return