[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

55 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Really though....who gives a crap?

Whoever was in on the discussion.  Possibly other people.  It also seems to be a popular subject if you google it - comes up on many boards.

Any more questions? 

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Google comes up with nothing about Gretzky being called one.  This is what I'm coming up with as the origin:

Ever since the term “generational talent/player” was coined roughly a decade in the 2005 National Hockey League (NHL) Draft, a highly-anticipated draft that produced the current fact of the NHL

https://obiter-dicta.ca/2016/11/22/why-landing-a-generational-talentplayer-through-todays-national-hockey-league-draft-is-so-difficult/ 

Ah, google. The repository of all newspaper articles from 30 and 40 years ago. Since you didn’t read the sports pages back then, maybe you can find them on microfilm down at the library. The term has never been confined to hockey, either, so you can broaden your search perhaps. 

Regardless, it has become a trite reference in the last 15 years or so. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Preseason Game 2 vs. PIT on 9/18 at 7 PM ET
10 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm with bbb on this one.  But then again, maybe once Wayne showed up, they instead just started hyping people as the next Gretzky (no, not you Keith).  But then with Crosby, they needed to start using a different reference.

I recall watching Keith Gretzky play one year in Sabres training camp, out at Sabreland in Wheatfield.

Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious that his brother got all the athletic talent in the family.

That was probably something like 1989?  Around then.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I recall watching Keith Gretzky play one year in Sabres training camp, out at Sabreland in Wheatfield.

Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious that his brother got all the athletic talent in the family.

That was probably something like 1989?  Around then.

The best was that we drafted Wayne Primeau and Keith Gretzky when we should have drafted Keith Primeau and Wayne Gretzky. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah.  Any generational talents ever come out of St. Bonaventure? ???

Ah, still mad about that loss, huh? 

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Ah, google. The repository of all newspaper articles from 30 and 40 years ago. Since you didn’t read the sports pages back then, maybe you can find them on microfilm down at the library. The term has never been confined to hockey, either, so you can broaden your search perhaps. 

Regardless, it has become a trite reference in the last 15 years or so. 

I've been reading the sports page since I was in first grade, which was in 1968.  The fact that I came up with the actual date the term was coined doesn't matter, huh? 

GOALIES

DEFENSEMEN
24 Stefan Elliott
50 Juuso Riikola
67 Dane Birks
75 Will O'Neill

FORWARDS
11 Jimmy Hayes
38 Derek Grant
57 Anthony Angello
64 Jordy Bellerive
82 Jan Drozg

7 hours ago, bbb said:

The best was that we drafted Wayne Primeau and Keith Gretzky when we should have drafted Keith Primeau and Wayne Gretzky. 

And that's the craziest thing of all.  Gretzky was never actually in the draft.  Not that he's a comparable player, but just imagine if that Swiss team that Matthews played for joined the NHL and was allowed to keep him.  Better yet, imagine if that Swiss team sold him to some independent league team in Vegas and that team was allowed to be the expansion Golden Knight squad.

• Like (+1) 1