Terrell Owens Declined His Invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

If you are just going to base acceptance on the players 'on field stats/play", why do they even have to vote? Why not just take a look over the list of players eligible every year and just say that a certain number of players can make it and pick that amount based on the stats?

As for the votes being anonymous, who cares? Why do we need to know every single little detail about everything that doesn't pertain to us? Is it going to matter that we find out a certain writer chose one player over another? Now the fans need to know their reasoning/basis for the choice too? What is that going to accomplish outside of fans expressing their anger towards that voter through social media because they didnt like the reasoning or choice made by them?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Owens placed on negotiation list by CFL's Eskimos

The Sports Xchange
11 hrs ago

Terrell Owens has been making noises about playing again, even though the star wide receiver is scheduled to be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 6 1/2 weeks.

The 44-year-old wide receiver last played in the NFL in 2010, but continues to insist he can still play and showed he has plenty of spring in his steps by clocking a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash over the weekend.

Whether any NFL team will entertain the thought of bringing in Owens remains to be seen, but there may be interest in the flamboyant wideout from north of the border.

According to TSN, the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League placed Owens on their negotiation list.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but could provide Owens another option if he is determined to attempt a return to the field. Owens did try a comeback in 2012 before being cut in training camp by the Seattle Seahawks.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, apuszczalowski said:

If you are just going to base acceptance on the players 'on field stats/play", why do they even have to vote? Why not just take a look over the list of players eligible every year and just say that a certain number of players can make it and pick that amount based on the stats?

When TO's resume is that damn obvious, yeah, make it an automatic vote. Their job is to debate on Bob freaking Hayes going to the HOF.

Dear voters: waffling on voting in arguably the 2nd best WR of all time is like waffling on voting in Peyton Manning. It's too obvious. Spend that time thinking about Eli thouroughly. And stop embarrassing yourselves. You know you have a few iffy people in your hall. Cover that talent disparity and make yourselves look better by filling in that hall with the best talents you've seen, as soon as possible.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:37 AM, apuszczalowski said:

As for the votes being anonymous, who cares? Why do we need to know every single little detail about everything that doesn't pertain to us? Is it going to matter that we find out a certain writer chose one player over another? Now the fans need to know their reasoning/basis for the choice too? What is that going to accomplish outside of fans expressing their anger towards that voter through social media because they didnt like the reasoning or choice made by them?

To your point I don't care about anonymoty. I wouldn't even know the guys but if you don't care either, then consider the flip side. You show me the guy that lowers the bar for Cris Carter and raises it for TO, and I'll show you a guy out a job when the people that hire this genius group realize 99% of people in legitimate football circles disagree with this guy now known publicly to be a moron. Doesn't sound too bad, then again just fire that guy anonymous or not and we're not having this stupid conversation.

If it's not anonymous then I can assume the entire losing superbowl Eagles team were voting 1st and 2nd ballot in a desperate attempt to prove they didn't need TO to get there. "But.. but.. he was a bad teammate! He only got us close to the only Superbowl we were ever going to get to. But apart from that, he was the worst. You just gotta believe us here"

And then Jeff Garcia and some others are called up to grudgingly vote him in 3rd ballot. "He was an *** but he made me a lot of money I guess. Pretty sure nobody would know who I am if I wasn't tossing it up to TO"

On 6/11/2018 at 7:54 AM, GunnerBill said:

100% correct. All of that is within scope for a hall of fame voter. 

Personally I wouldn't have voted for Moss in year 1 either. I thought his attitude to his teammates in Oakland was shocking and he basically split the locker room - me vs coach in his second spell at Minnesota. 

I think more of his controversy was "away from football" stuff - drugs, dv accusations etc but there was enough in his locker room conduct for me to believe he was not a 'tick all the boxes' 1st ballot guy. 

Wasn’t Moss pretty open about taking plays off as well? 

13 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

When TO's resume is that damn obvious, yeah, make it an automatic vote. Their job is to debate on Bob freaking Hayes going to the HOF.

Dear voters: waffling on voting in arguably the 2nd best WR of all time is like waffling on voting in Peyton Manning. It's too obvious. Spend that time thinking about Eli thouroughly. And stop embarrassing yourselves. You know you have a few iffy people in your hall. Cover that talent disparity and make yourselves look better by filling in that hall with the best talents you've seen, as soon as possible.

WRs and TEs always get the run-around at Canton....  how do you not know this?????     ?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes in Oakland. That was what I was referring to. And as I say...  Moss wouldn't have been a 1st ballot guy either if I was a voter. 

If memory serves, he did it in Minny in one of his stints as well. 

I agree with you. I’d vote TO first ballot with personality issues, WAAAYYYY before a guy who was open about taking plus off. Randy Moss is the the most talented WR to ever play the game, and I don’t think it’s close....doesn’t make him the best though. 

Edited by Mango
Words are hard

T.O. is a grossly over rated player.  He compiled some nice stats, but he was also a guy who didn't make his team better, was among the leaders in dropped passes every year, and often stalled the offense by his tantrums if he wasn't forced the ball.  

Do I agree he did enough to be in the HOF...sure, but he was never a first ballot player in my book.  I could care less about the off field stuff or that he was (and is still) a self  entitled deuche.  There are many players in his own era I feel were better all around players, he is not even in the top 5 WRs of his Era.  I would take Moss, Fitz, Harrison, Bruce, Wayne, Holt and Andre Johnson over him for starters.  Not to mention guys like Calvin Johnson who came in little more into TO's career.

TO compiled more stats because in most of his career he was in a situation where he was force fed as the only feature in the passing game.  But he dropped a lot and wasn't a guy who made his teams better and can be argued he as bad for the team as he was good.  If you didn't keep him happy with targets he would disrupt the team, and forcing plays to keep a guy happy is not a good way to run an offense nor is having someone who disrupts the team when not getting his way.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

T.O. is a grossly over rated player.  He compiled some nice stats, but he was also a guy who didn't make his team better, was among the leaders in dropped passes every year, and often stalled the offense by his tantrums if he wasn't forced the ball.  

Do I agree he did enough to be in the HOF...sure, but he was never a first ballot player in my book.  I could care less about the off field stuff or that he was (and is still) a self  entitled deuche.  There are many players in his own era I feel were better all around players, he is not even in the top 5 WRs of his Era.  I would take Moss, Fitz, Harrison, Bruce, Wayne, Holt and Andre Johnson over him for starters.  Not to mention guys like Calvin Johnson who came in little more into TO's career.

TO compiled more stats because in most of his career he was in a situation where he was force fed as the only feature in the passing game.  But he dropped a lot and wasn't a guy who made his teams better and can be argued he as bad for the team as he was good.  If you didn't keep him happy with targets he would disrupt the team, and forcing plays to keep a guy happy is not a good way to run an offense nor is having someone who disrupts the team when not getting his way.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/18/terrell-owens-dropped-passes-as-great-receivers-do/

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, this little BS sums up his career. Physically one of the most dominant wrs ever. But he bounced around because he cared more about himself than the team.  

I hope they they just announce his name and then just move on with the ceremony.  He’s like 45 now so I assumed he would have grown up but apparently not.  Man, it would be awful to hear people talk about how awesome you are and get inducted into the HOF!