Terrell Owens Declined His Invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

I've read articles that suggest a theory that it could be because to stay in Canton during the HOF proceedings with the hotel cost & bringing in family, friends & food that the it is quite costly & because TO has squandered basically most of the money he had made while in the NFL he can't afford to go !!

That just blows my mind that a guy that made that much cash can be broke if that is true ...

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

You may not follow a lot of hall of fame discussion or commentary, but yes, for better or worse, first ballot hall of famers are looked upon differently than those who got in after multiple years of eligibility. Do I agree with that? No, but a distinction is made by plenty of opinion makers, media members, voters and, consequently, fans.

So it does matter that TO was unfairly blackballed for a few years, because his body of work is on par with or (in most cases) better than the recent first ballot HOFers from his era.

Does he get a special place in the HOF? Does he get a $$$ bonus for it? Does he get a golder colored jacket then the rest? A crown? 

He gets nothing but a bigger ego because he can strut around and instead of referring to himself as a HOFer he can call himself a "first ballot HOFer".

No one outside of TO and maybe a few football nerds are going to think any differently of his career and enshrinement that he got in on his third try.

For a player who is being considered here by many as being g one of the "greatest of all time" he sure did bounce around the league alot.....

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nonsense. You vote for him based on career accomplishments.

Horrible comment from him.
Sounds needy. Like relationship needy. Those voters seem hormonal>

Heart broken even.

but yes , it is about on the field accomplishments. Thanks for the sad chuckle from me.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:31 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

You can't teach class, and clearly TO has none.  Great player, messed up human being.

You know hom well enough to call him a messed up human being? Aside from doing things you don't like, what has he done to be a messed up human being? Did he cut Nicole's head off or something?

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Does he get a special place in the HOF? Does he get a $$$ bonus for it? Does he get a golder colored jacket then the rest? A crown? 

He gets nothing but a bigger ego because he can strut around and instead of referring to himself as a HOFer he can call himself a "first ballot HOFer".

No one outside of TO and maybe a few football nerds are going to think any differently of his career and enshrinement that he got in on his third try.

For a player who is being considered here by many as being g one of the "greatest of all time" he sure did bounce around the league alot.....

Free ageny and $. Who cares if he bounced around. Follow the $.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But a worse teammate. 

I don't disagree.

He played his butt off always though, including the Superbowl on a broken leg.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

How was Owens better than LT?

He's a top5 receiver all time.

LT is not a top5 back, many don't even have him top10.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

LT is not a top5 back, many don't even have him top10.

Now you're just trolling. Go look at LT's stats, then try again. I'll bet you realize your foolishness and won't be back, though.

Edited by Golden Goat

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This guy should have his vote taken away.  What an idiot 

Seriously.  If anything it only proves t.o.'s point.  These voters play gatekeeper and think themselves to be far more important than they actually are. Jason Taylor is a first ballot hofer?  I think thats the craziest thing I learned in this thread! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Come on man don’t strawman me you’re better than that. No, he doesn’t get anything tangibly special for being a first ballot HOFer. What I am saying is the perception is that the honor is different. The voters feel that way, the media makes the distiction. It’s not just a few football nerds.

The perception that he “bounced around” the league is false. He spent 8 years in SF. He left for more money, which is his right. Functionally he basically played for 3 more teams after that, he was done after Buffalo for all intents and purposes.

3 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Now you're just trolling. Go look at LT's stats, then try again. I'll bet you realize your foolishness and won't be back, though.

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

I like LT he's somewhere between 6-12

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

Has there EVER been anyone to decline attending the ceremony?

If not, this just wreaks of self centered, "boo-hoo," sour grapes.

Other members of the HOF have had to wait far longer. Others have felt disrespected. Others felt they deserved to be in, but had to wait due to petty reasons. All still attended the ceremony & were appreciative when they finally did get selected. Art Monk waited how many years before he was selected? He should've taken the opportunity to show he was humble, not further cement the idea that he was a selfish, ego-driven, "me-first" kind of guy.

But nope, he went the route that only highlighted what so many people already believed. Oh well, if that's how he wants to be remembered.

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

Your entire argument is, "According to... uh... people... TO was better." Until you look at the stats and start thinking for yourself, I have no use for you. Sorry.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

After the Patriots-Chargers AFC Championship game, LT is not even close to being in the conversation.

• Like (+1) 1