California (again)

This piece has two of my pet peeves.

1. California wanting to tax anything that moves......or doesn't move

2. Lack of proper editing of online content

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-goes-tax-wild-eyes-levies-on-everything-from-water-to-tires

FTA:

While details have remained vague on how much these taxes would be, Democratic Assemblyman Richard Bloom has supported a 20-cent-per-ounce tax in previous proposals.

No that would a 2-cent-per-ounce.  Now I don't want them to tax soda (or most anything else) more than it's already taxed but a 20 cent tax would be a tax of $28.80 per 12-pack.  

Edited by Chef Jim

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

This piece has two of my pet peeves.

1. California wanting to tax anything that moves......or doesn't move

2. Lack of proper editing of online content

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-goes-tax-wild-eyes-levies-on-everything-from-water-to-tires

FTA:

No that would a 2-cent-per-ounce.  Now I don't want them to tax soda (or most anything else) more than it's already taxed but a 20 cent tax would be a tax of $28.80 per 12-pack.  

Even at 2 cents per ounce it almost effectively doubles the price of some products

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Later!!  And don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out.  Quitter!!  ?

Little primer for you. CA registration is due next month on my Ford F150 for $662.

Get to pass that and register it in Idaho for $79, and it covers two years.

Just now, LABillzFan said:

Little primer for you. CA registration is due next month on my Ford F150 for $662.

Get to pass that and register it in Idaho for $79, and it covers two years.

And in my industry (an many others) we can make a shitload more money here in CA than we could ever dream of in places like Idaho.  So much of what you lament about (and dream about) is relative. 

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And in my industry (an many others) we can make a shitload more money here in CA than we could ever dream of in places like Idaho.  So much of what you lament about (and dream about) is relative. 

Completely understand. My industry isn't like that. I make a shitload more money just by moving out of the state.

15 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Completely understand. My industry isn't like that. I make a shitload more money just by moving out of the state.

Sooooo we're not all suckers then.  And I have no idea how to figure this out but I wouldn't be surprised that a LOT of people are better off financially here because we can make more money regardless of the cost of living.  It's a personal P&L that needs to be run to determine where best to live.  Those that really need to reconsider CA are those that are retiring and no longer have an industry but, of course, rely on a fixed income to live.  I have a client that makes boatloads of money here in CA (that he would not make anywhere else) and has a great lifestyle because of that.  We run the numbers and even though his retirement assets will be massive with their current lifestyle (their budget) causes them to run out of money.  They came to me and said "we're thinking of retiring in GA"  Ok, we ran the numbers and even if they bought an $800k (in today's dollars) retirement home in GA (which will likely be a palace) and voila!!  They die with millions vs broke.  So again, we're all not suckers.  The real suckers are those that live in WNY with it's insane taxes, all the snow every year and a sh***y football team. ?

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Sooooo we're not all suckers then.  And I have no idea how to figure this out but I wouldn't be surprised that a LOT of people are better off financially here because we can make more money regardless of the cost of living.  It's a personal P&L that needs to be run to determine where best to live.  Those that really need to reconsider CA are those that are retiring and no longer have an industry but, of course, rely on a fixed income to live.  I have a client that makes boatloads of money here in CA (that he would not make anywhere else) and has a great lifestyle because of that.  We run the numbers and even though his retirement assets will be massive with their current lifestyle (their budget) causes them to run out of money.  They came to me and said "we're thinking of retiring in GA"  Ok, we ran the numbers and even if they bought an $800k (in today's dollars) retirement home in GA (which will likely be a palace) and voila!!  They die with millions vs broke.  So again, we're all not suckers.  The real suckers are those that live in WNY with it's insane taxes, all the snow every year and a sh***y football team. ?

I come here saying "So long, suckers!" kind of like how you come to a Bills message board on the day of a loss and talk about the beautiful day you had at a farmer's market instead of watching the Bills.

Truth is, it's really not just about the money I make but also about how they spend the money they take from me relative to the restrictions they put on my life. The laws. The regulations. The excessive taxes simply because they KNOW they have a bunch of people who are making enough money to not care that the state is sneaking a bit more of their money here and there because "infrastructure!" or "global cooling warming climate change!" They nickel-and-dime the crap out of the wealthy, and to the wealthy, it's just change in their cushions. To the rest of us, it's burdensome.

In the end, like you said, it comes down to what you can make here. Because of the nature of my company, I can move anywhere and earn the same salary. The numbers totally stack in my favor.

18 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I come here saying "So long, suckers!" kind of like how you come to a Bills message board on the day of a loss and talk about the beautiful day you had at a farmer's market instead of watching the Bills.

Well all I have to say to the above is this.  It's been a LONG time since I bragged about how nice it is here after a Bills loss because I usually don't even know about the outcomes of the games anymore and I know how tired people got about hearing me tell them how much I love it here. Your reminding us all how "smart"  you are by moving from California on the other hand...............

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well all I have to say to the above is this.  It's been a LONG time since I bragged about how nice it is here after a Bills loss because I usually don't even know about the outcomes of the games anymore and I know how tired people got about hearing me tell them how much I love it here. Your reminding us all how "smart"  you are by moving from California on the other hand...............

And I'm not even gone yet! ?

For the record, my intent was never to explain how smart I am by leaving -- and I apologize if that is how I was coming across -- because leaving doesn't take smarts. The takeaway for me is simply that instead of bitching about how much I don't like CA, I'm actually doing something about it.

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

And I'm not even gone yet! ?

For the record, my intent was never to explain how smart I am by leaving -- and I apologize if that is how I was coming across -- 

Sometimes I really wonder if you're fully aware that you're posting on PPP...

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The real suckers are those that live in WNY with it's insane taxes, all the snow every year and a sh***y football team. ?

We have beef on weck and as far as football goes, just wait until next year!

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is classic pussified snowflake stuff right here:

“We have such an amazing community of artists here, and I thought the aesthetic didn’t really represent our community,” Woodburn said. “It feels very aggressive.”

The American Flag feels aggressive. How pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/17/2019 at 10:08 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

I live just over the hill from Laguna Beach. It’s a beautiful place but the only real uber liberal part of OC. From what I’ve heard the vast majority of the residents love the new decals. There are just a few who don’t and many of them were just saying they didn’t like the design.  Laguna is a hippy artist community so many were coming from the we know more about art and aesthetics angle. The part that infuriates me is that the council felt they even needed to address this with a vote.  

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I lived in Bay Area from 2009-2017 and the first 3 1/2 years in the city. People would say “how cool to live there!”  Well not really. My wife and I were constantly sick and she caught an virus that was never even able to be diagnosed and almost literally killed her. It’s a disgusting city. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hey Gavin. Please answer my favorite question that no one ever asks politicians regarding any issue. So you want to protect illegal (BTW you forgot that word) immigrants here in CA?  Ok here goes pretty boy Gavin. Are you ready? 1....2....3.....

WHY?

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Hey Gavin. Please answer my favorite question that no one ever asks politicians regarding any issue. So you want to protect illegal (BTW you forgot that word) immigrants here in CA?  Ok here goes pretty boy Gavin. Are you ready? 1....2....3.....

WHY?

Cause they don't let 'em set up tent cities in Kentfield.

California bans state-funded travel to South Carolina, bringing total to 10 states
by Valerie Richardson

Original Article

The day may be coming when California public employees are permitted to travel on business only to blue states.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra on Tuesday added South Carolina to the growing list of states banned from state-sponsored travel, citing the Palmetto State’s 2018 budget bill allowing faith-based adoption and foster-care services to operate according to their religious beliefs.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

California bans state-funded travel to South Carolina, bringing total to 10 states
by Valerie Richardson

Original Article

The day may be coming when California public employees are permitted to travel on business only to blue states.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra on Tuesday added South Carolina to the growing list of states banned from state-sponsored travel, citing the Palmetto State’s 2018 budget bill allowing faith-based adoption and foster-care services to operate according to their religious beliefs.

Are CA state workers still allowed to go on state-sponsored trips to...say...Abu Dhabi?

On 4/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, B-Man said:

I'm waiting for CA to pass a law that hotel guests need to stay in rooms with other guests to cut down on power consumption.

If you want to save the planet, you must be bold. Shopping bags. Straws. Small bottles of shampoo. Hotels turned into communes.

Be bold, CA. Be very bold.

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I'm waiting for CA to pass a law that hotel guests need to stay in rooms with other guests to cut down on power consumption.

If you want to save the planet, you must be bold. Shopping bags. Straws. Small bottles of shampoo. Hotels turned into communes.

Be bold, CA. Be very bold.

Not before they pass a law that hotel guests have to shower together to save money.  

A "gender-neutral" communal shower law, of course.

12 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Not before they pass a law that hotel guests have to shower together to save money.  

A "gender-neutral" communal shower law, of course.

You know, I was connecting in San Jose airport this weekend, and two things hit me.

One, they're opening a Chick-Fil-A. You'd think if San Antonio and Buffalo are banning them from the airport, San Jose would burn the place down. But no.

Two, they had a gender neutral bathroom near our gate. My wife carries sumatriptan injections for when she starts to get a crash migraine, and we needed to use that bathroom so I could give her the injection when I realized it was its own bathroom. Single toilet and sink, and a lock on the door. When men realize they can take a nice, long dump in a private bathroom at the airport, the left may start rethinking this idea.

• Haha (+1) 1

IT’S ALWAYS IN THE LAST PLACE YOU LOOK: 

California Politicians Hiked Gas Tax, Now Demand Investigation Into State’s $4 Per Gallon Gas Prices.............:wallbash:

Related: Will Newsom end oil drilling in California? Many environmentalists are betting yes.

That should do wonders for lowering California’s gas prices, as California’s Potemkin environmentalism rolls on.