Favorite songs from the 80s

I just skimmed through. Apparently I spent the 80’s appreciating the 60’ and 70’s. I think 1969 was the single greatest year in the history of music. 

Driving around listening to Sirius one day with my music freak buddy he asked “so, is this channel called ‘The all the music I listened to in high school” channel?”  That have a catchier name, but yes....

18 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

If it's 'Hall and Oates', why are there three of them?...?

6 hours ago, bbb said:

You Better, You Bet - The Who

Authority Song - Mellencamp

Slit Skirts - Pete Townshend

Under Pressure - Queen/Bowie

Brilliant Disguise - Springsteen

These are all better songs than songs by groups that only were popular in the 80s. 

Substitute 'Eminence Front' for that first ditty and I might agree.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I just skimmed through. Apparently I spent the 80’s appreciating the 60’ and 70’s. I think 1969 was the single greatest year in the history of music. 

Driving around listening to Sirius one day with my music freak buddy he asked “so, is this channel called ‘The all the music I listened to in high school” channel?”  That have a catchier name, but yes....

I was born in 1962 so I didn't really experience 1969 music (my parents were from the WWII generation) - but I think 1969 music is way better than any year of the 80s. 

15 hours ago, bbb said:

I was born in 1962 so I didn't really experience 1969 music (my parents were from the WWII generation) - but I think 1969 music is way better than any year of the 80s. 

I was born a few years later. I like the music from the eighties because it is the music of my youth. I liked Men at Work, Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, the Fixx, the Police, among others. Topic is eighties music you liked, not whether the sixties had better music. It probably does, but I don't have the same affection for it for the most part.

16 hours ago, bbb said:

The late 60s is easily my favourite era.

But this is about the 80s.

Won’t be much of a thread to post cuts from the White Album or Disraeli Gears.

41 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You must have spent a fair amount of the time listening to CFNY, back when it WAS the 'spirit of radio'.

oh yes... from the days it started as heavy metal around 1978 right to present. and for a few years you could listen to Motorhead and pre-famous Iron Maiden along with The Teardrop Explodes and Ultravox...

for a few years in the late 80s a station in Woodstock, Ontario cropped up at 102.3 which interfered with London/Woodstock/Brantford enjoyment, fortunately i was in Hamilton for school and Toronto after that

one time i took a radio to a slave-type temp job at a factory and the other three students were quite happy i suggested CFNY, i didn't know if it would be a battle to the death over it...

and yerself?

Edited by row_33

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and yerself?

I find it odd and somewhat disconcerting that some of the music I once listened to I no longer enjoy.  Perhaps the death of my first wife in 2005 influenced that, met her at 14, married her at 21.  CFNY set the gold standard years ago, WZIR and WUWU came close in WNY until market forces blunted their 'edginess' into more mainstream crap.  Sad that there's a whole bunch of boomers and later generations that think 'Centerfold' is the high point of the J. Geils Band.  That high point was years earlier.  As I sit here on the high side of 60, I now have baroque on as background music often, used to drive coworkers in the hydraulic and mechanical shops crazy.  Still beats classic rock with mandatory Canadian content - how many Trooper songs can you endure?  I don't think Giant FM would know a Traffic album if it kicked them in the shins.  I also like many big band instrumentals, but find vocals of that era unlistenable.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I find it odd and somewhat disconcerting that some of the music I once listened to I no longer enjoy.  Perhaps the death of my first wife in 2005 influenced that, met her at 14, married her at 21.  CFNY set the gold standard years ago, WZIR and WUWU came close in WNY until market forces blunted their 'edginess' into more mainstream crap.  Sad that there's a whole bunch of boomers and later generations that think 'Centerfold' is the high point of the J. Geils Band.  That high point was years earlier.  As I sit here on the high side of 60, I now have baroque on as background music often, used to drive coworkers in the hydraulic and mechanical shops crazy.  Still beats classic rock with mandatory Canadian content - how many Trooper songs can you endure?  I don't think Giant FM would know a Traffic album if it kicked them in the shins.  I also like many big band instrumentals, but find vocals of that era unlistenable.

Thanks Ridge!!!

Trooper was fun, memories of some heavy homebrew drinking and ad hoc camping trips, that's about all the good...

I owned most of the 12" 45s i have listed, they were stolen or discarded when having to move out to an apartment for work.

I"m in my early 50s, so high school and undergrad were the years for almost all the songs I've posted in this thread, makes a good playlist for future reference.

this site is a good one, providing a top 100 of CFNYish songs each year of the 1980s...

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2015/02/10/top-100-songs-of-1980/

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bbb said:

Now I have Sirius in my car, but for a long time, I listened to your guy's Boom 97 or whatever it is.  I thought they played way better music than any Buffalo station.

1st Wave is the SiriusXM channel most like my listing here.

Jim Carroll Band's People Who Died is on right now, that belongs on here...

• Like (+1) 2