Happy Pride Month!

E

On 6/2/2018 at 7:33 AM, 3rdnlng said:

Go solicit somewhere else.

This. 

Though to be perfectly clear Gary, we wholeheartedly support your right to suck as much rooster and take as much rooster up your ass as you want. 

The conservatives and Independents here are very tolerant - unlike your goose stepping Leftist Fascist friends. 

Edited by Nanker

These sorts of "pride" events always bother me.

I get the genesis of them, and I understand there was a time (and maybe to some degree we're still in that time period, though stigmas and bigotry have obviously decreased) when this sort of event was necessary to show people who may have been closeted that it's OK to be who you are, and that you absolutely should not be ashamed of the way God made you;and also to demonstrate, en masse, both for purpose of safety and optics, that there was/is a sizable gay community in the country/world, and that they would not/will not be silenced or hidden away by bigots.  

It's just that I have a problem with people taking "pride" in things they have done nothing to earn.

Why would someone be proud to be an American, unless of course they immigrated here and had to go through the painstaking efforts of becoming an American?

Why would someone feel proud of being white?  You did nothing to be white.  The same goes for black, brown, and yellow people.  You expended no effort.  This was not some achievment.  You were **** out into this world with the color of your skin and became you by chance.

Along the same line, why would you be proud of being gay?  Or straight?  None of this was your choice.

It's not some grand achievement.

Taking pride in being part of an identity group is divisive because it necessarily involves "othering".

Have your parade.  I'll support you.  I'll even march in solidarity with you.  But lose the "pride" mantle please.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Taking pride in being part of an identity group is divisive because it necessarily involves "othering".

Which is why they do it.

They know it will tweak some person somehwere, who will say or tweet something stupid, and then they'll take that stupid post and spend the rest of the month explaining how conservatives are intolerant homophobes.

Then they'll start a campaign to get the people who said stupid stuff fired, or get people to boycott their business until they have to lay employees off and shut their doors.

They may be proud, but they're lazy and predictable as all f**xck.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

These sorts of "pride" events always bother me.

I get the genesis of them, and I understand there was a time (and maybe to some degree we're still in that time period, though stigmas and bigotry have obviously decreased) when this sort of event was necessary to show people who may have been closeted that it's OK to be who you are, and that you absolutely should not be ashamed of the way God made you;and also to demonstrate, en masse, both for purpose of safety and optics, that there was/is a sizable gay community in the country/world, and that they would not/will not be silenced or hidden away by bigots.  

It's just that I have a problem with people taking "pride" in things they have done nothing to earn.

Why would someone be proud to be an American, unless of course they immigrated here and had to go through the painstaking efforts of becoming an American?

Why would someone feel proud of being white?  You did nothing to be white.  The same goes for black, brown, and yellow people.  You expended no effort.  This was not some achievment.  You were **** out into this world with the color of your skin and became you by chance.

Along the same line, why would you be proud of being gay?  Or straight?  None of this was your choice.

It's not some grand achievement.

Have your parade.  I'll support you.  I'll even march in solidarity with you.  But lose the "pride" mantle please.

That reminds me of a funny bit Norm MacDonald did back in the 90's where he made that exact point.

It's got some vulgar language in it so viewer beware.

• Haha (+1) 3

It's something I can't wrap my head around. If you're gay or straight who really cares? It is what it is and you are what you are. I'm straight, but it never occured to me to be proud of that fact. 

On a side note is there good food at the parade? Nothing beats a good funnel cake.

Edited by RaoulDuke79