Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

nut

Here's the most likely driver, from today's Viewpoints section.  Mike Connelly (BN Editor) writes:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/06/03/mike-connelly-what-you-read-its-good-news-for-journalism/

"The digital world gives us readership data we couldn't have imagined in print days. At The News, we pay the most attention to readership scores generated by Metrics for News, a program built by the American Press Institute. The Metrics for News index includes page views and number of users, the most common digital metrics. But it also measures how many readers are local, how often stories are shared and how much time readers spend with stories.

We have used Metrics for News for a year, and it consistently shows that the best journalism draws the biggest readership. Consider the top BuffaloNews.com stories so far this year:

Lack of clicks, not tin foil hats, is likely the biggest contributor to Bucky and Sully's buyout offers...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

You've got the fire.

Go for it......

Thanks Bart! :)

The thing is, Josh Barnett reads the board here. So unless he wants somebody to ask the fellas those questions, I don't think he would hire me. :( He already knows what I would be up to.

Great news for readers of the Snooze and Bills' fans.  

I was a bit suprised Jerry said this: 

I wrote for the readers, who deserved a fair, objective and passionate perspective, even when it stung.

While one might agree with some of Jerry's opinions, he was neither "fair", nor "objective". I thought that was the point of being a columnist and not a reporter. Now, I admit I haven't read his stuff in a few years. But based on my recollection from years of reading his columns, I don't recall him discussing the various sides/potential causes and reasons/etc. of a particular issue. That's as close as you can get to a requirement of "objective and fair", no?

But putting aside that most recent absurdity, I never blamed Sully for writing his opinions, even if they were almost all written from a negative point of view. What bothered me is, his seeming lack of knowledge of football. I think my mother understood the game better than Jerry. You'd think, working in a football town like Buffalo, he would have taken the time to learn the nuances of the game---on and off the field. But honestly, I don't think he even liked football--at least not the NFL variety. Reminded me a little of an old writer for the LA Times, TJ Simers. He was their lead NFL guy, and I swear he hated football. 

And while I know this isn't really on topic, I'd say it reminds me a bit of Mike Florio, from ProFootballTalk. Great site, if you are looking for breaking news and rumors. But don't confuse Florio's "reporting" as objective. Even though I often agree with his opinion, he demonstrates a serious lack of journalistic objectivity (he's almost  always writing like a lawyer on one side of an issue/report). And he seems to think he's an expert on football, as well what any particular player should do/be paid/etc. But his solutions are always very simplistic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

Although it didn't pick up your quote, he is full of crap.  As I said earlier, he said just months ago on the Tim Graham Show that "I have very little regard for Buffalo sports fan"

On 6/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, dave mcbride said:

?? 

UB was a small private school until it was absorbed into the Suny system. A bunch of Sunys were private schools founded long before (eg, geneseo in 1871). 

Pre-suny UB was a contender in any way shape or form, and unlike UC-Berekely, it wasn't SET UP AS THE THE FRIGGIN' FLAGSHIP STATE SCHOOL FROM THE GET-GO!! 

Sheesh!

Not "suuposedly"; actually.

Weren't you the one who was saying that Cal-Berkley is not the flagship school because UC has no flagship school?

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Weren't you the one who was saying that Cal-Berkley is not the flagship school because UC has no flagship school?

Please stop. Argue UB elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

While one might agree with some of Jerry's opinions, he was neither "fair", nor "objective". I thought that was the point of being a columnist and not a reporter. Now, I admit I haven't read his stuff in a few years. But based on my recollection from years of reading his columns, I don't recall him discussing the various sides/potential causes and reasons/etc. of a particular issue. That's as close as you can get to a requirement of "objective and fair", no?

But putting aside that most recent absurdity, I never blamed Sully for writing his opinions, even if they were almost all written from a negative point of view. What bothered me is, his seeming lack of knowledge of football. I think my mother understood the game better than Jerry. You'd think, working in a football town like Buffalo, he would have taken the time to learn the nuances of the game---on and off the field. But honestly, I don't think he even liked football--at least not the NFL variety. Reminded me a little of an old writer for the LA Times, TJ Simers. He was their lead NFL guy, and I swear he hated football. 

And while I know this isn't really on topic, I'd say it reminds me a bit of Mike Florio, from ProFootballTalk. Great site, if you are looking for breaking news and rumors. But don't confuse Florio's "reporting" as objective. Even though I often agree with his opinion, he demonstrates a serious lack of journalistic objectivity (he's almost  always writing like a lawyer on one side of an issue/report). And he seems to think he's an expert on football, as well what any particular player should do/be paid/etc. But his solutions are always very simplistic. 

Buffalo is a hockey and football town.

Jerry's favorite sports are, by far, basketball and baseball.

Same applies to WNY's other favorite sports media personality, Mike Schopp.

He has stated that he is anti-NFL and anti-football.  He likes tennis, sports history/trivia, fantasy stuff, and sports gambling in general. 

Just a few days ago he mentioned that he'd much rather watch an NBA game than the garbage the NHL puts on the ice in an average regular season game.  

In any event, both guys are/were in the wrong town in this regard. 

Edited by Fadingpain

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was actually speculated in his column by whats-his-name - current Fredonia Journalism Professor who used to work for TBN about a decade ago

(I intend no disrespect by what's his name - I just suck at remembering names)  Article was linked somewhere previously in this thread.

In his second column about it he updated to indicate that better information indicated he was mistaken.

Edit: Elmer Ploetz, that's who I mean

Edit 2: here are the articles again, since I'm too lazy to go upthread and find them maybe ya'll are also

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/06012018/whats-happening-buffalo-news-part-2

But the seed is planted. Mission accomplished.

14 hours ago, The Dean said:

What Jerry means by "writing for the fans" is he pandered to their insecurities.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Maybe he would *LIKE* what you are up to.

...Only one way to find out.........

By Golly. I'll do it! :w00t:

I wonder if TBN has a direction they intend to go with the tone and the approach of the sports desk. Or if they haven't had time to think much about that since they didn't know who would stay and who would wind up leaving.

I also wonder if these guys had any idea that buyouts were coming so they could get set up with a blog or something for the interim?

Or if they get to keep any sort of press credential or access? Or if instead they just sudden;y found themselves without a means to publish their stuff and have no real plans yet?

Really I hope the changes work out well for everybody. Those who are leaving to do something different, and for TBN to solidify its readership base and financial security.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was actually speculated in his column by whats-his-name - current Fredonia Journalism Professor who used to work for TBN about a decade ago

(I intend no disrespect by what's his name - I just suck at remembering names)  Article was linked somewhere previously in this thread.

In his second column about it he updated to indicate that better information indicated he was mistaken.

Edit: Elmer Ploetz, that's who I mean

Edit 2: here are the articles again, since I'm too lazy to go upthread and find them maybe ya'll are also

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/05302018/whats-happening-buffalo-news

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/06012018/whats-happening-buffalo-news-part-2

I thought that was a weird thing for Elmer Ploetz to do. Usually when a journalist speculates like that it means they have some idea or reason that they think it is true, but they can't prove it yet.

With this it seems like he just made it up out of his head. That kind of stuff doesn't even fly on the message board here.

He did correct it in the next article though. And I think the articles are interesting so good on him for that.

The speculation I got out of it is about the game programs. With the push for the One Buffalo Ap and the phone based tickets, I wonder how long it will be before the game programs come electronically, paired with the tickets, so they save all that enormous printing cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

My problem with Sullivan wasn't that he was negative. There has been plenty to be negative about in regards to the Bills and Sabres for the last 20 years. No order here, just listing things off the top of my head.

- Monday post-Bills game columns had become very predictable. Based on the events of the game, I felt you could accurately predict the tone and subject of his column on Sunday afternoon. 

- The whipping boy; examples being Mario Willams, Marcell Dareus, etc..He would pick a new one seemingly every season and then take shot after shot after shot at the guy. Just really droning on and it often added little to no substance to his content.

- Flip flopping. Don't treat me like an idiot. Don't sell hope after wins and then the next week sell doom and gloom and pretend you weren't peddling the hope. The fact he would write one thing during training camp and by the end of the season pretend it never happened....get out of here. 

His schtick was stale. It was time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out
21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

But where will I get my Bills news now?

Well its an online world all me and you have to do is get press credentials  and talk to SDS about starting up a Two Bills Drive with an original content page.

The fact is TBD is the biggest Bills fan website and to be honest there are some aspiring journalist that post here. I honestly believe their is opportunity here for TBD...

the question remains are thee enough FREElance journalist here willing to do it for nothing until it becomes something people would pay a few bucks for here ????

Edited by ddaryl