Reagan Was My Hero And Trump Is His Clone (Somewhat)

On 5/25/2018 at 10:35 AM, Nanker said:

<snip>

It wasn't until he was shot and hospitalized that the media and the Left softened on him, but even then they only very begrudgingly gave him credit for his achievements. 

Saw this recently. Gotta love his quick wit.

• Haha (+1) 3

Reagan was kind of a piece of *****. 

I mean I get it if you don’t give a ***** about the 4th amendment. I get it if you don’t mind a man who refused to resign despite his obvious mental paralysis. I get it if you don’t mind his lying about his war record to pretend that he was one of the men who actually went and fought. I get it if you don’t believe in the 2nd amendment. 

But he and Trump are alike. Both bad actors. Neither served. Both tried to be hardasses. 

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Reagan was kind of a piece of *****. 

I mean I get it if you don’t give a ***** about the 4th amendment. I get it if you don’t mind a man who refused to resign despite his obvious mental paralysis. I get it if you don’t mind his lying about his war record to pretend that he was one of the men who actually went and fought. I get it if you don’t believe in the 2nd amendment. 

But he and Trump are alike. Both bad actors. Neither served. Both tried to be hardasses. 

Now you've gone and done it. Your high level of ignorance has been surpassed by your stupidity.

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Now you've gone and done it. Your high level of ignorance has been surpassed by your stupidity.

1. Reagan violated the privacy of many citizens during McCarthy’s reign of terror. That’s a fact. He literally spied in people and informed on suspected communists. Ergo, no appreciation for the 4th amendment. 

2. He was mentally unfit during his 2nd term. There’s no denying that. His dementia was really taking hold. 

3. He lied about being in Europe during WWII when holocaust camps were liberated to impress Israelis. That’s a fact that happened. He “misremembered” that he was actually never in Europe during WWII. But maybe you can chalk that up to point 2. Where was Ronnie then? Making awful movies and living the life of a playboy — while the men were away fighting. But I know, his “eyesight.”

4. He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter. 

Those are all facts. All things that happened. 

Here, let me help you pick a new hero. Somebody who was what he was and was everything Ronnie wished he was. Churchill. Plus, Churchill was 10X the American Ronnie was. 

Edited by The_Dude

14 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

1. Reagan violated the privacy of many citizens during McCarthy’s reign of terror. That’s a fact. He literally spied in people and informed on suspected communists. Ergo, no appreciation for the 4th amendment. 

2. He was mentally unfit during his 2nd term. There’s no denying that. His dementia was really taking hold. 

3. He lied about being in Europe during WWII when holocaust camps were liberated to impress Israelis. That’s a fact that happened. He “misremembered” that he was actually never in Europe during WWII. But maybe you can chalk that up to point 2. Where was Ronnie then? Making awful movies and living the life of a playboy — while the men were away fighting. But I know, his “eyesight.”

4. He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter. 

Here, let me help you pick a new hero. Somebody who was what he was and was everything Ronnie wished he was. Churchill. Plus, Churchill was 10X the American Ronnie was. 

Links?

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Links?

I find the best research is the research you do yourself. But sure. 

1. https://www.shmoop.com/mccarthyism-red-scare/ronald-reagan.html

thats not a great link but it’s a link. In fact Reagan was such a douche, Kirk Douglas’ Spartacus, was a F U to Reagan and others. 

2. Dementia: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/17/ronald-reagan-alzheimers-president-son

Plus, did you know who much Nancy’s psychic influenced Reagan’s policy? A freaking palm reading psychic. 

3.https://www.salon.com/2015/02/07/ronald_reagans_wartime_lies_the_president_had_quite_a_brian_williams_problem/

I hate using an article from Salon, but I’m not wrong. I did a term paper on his douchness once. And like I said, do your own research. 

4. I shouldn’t have to post a link for 4 that it’s so well known: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/03/02/before-trump-defied-the-nra-ronald-reagan-took-on-the-gun-lobby/?noredirect=on

Reagan like MLK and Gandhi have received some very preferential revisionist history over the years.

Reagan isn’t the man you think he was. 

Look into Churchill. There’s a man who was what Ronnie pretended to be.    

I’m seriously not trying to be a dick. But if you studied the man you’d realize he’s unworthy of any type of adoration. 

Also his inaction during the AIDS outbreak. 

Edited by The_Dude

16 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I find the best research is the research you do yourself. But sure. 

1. https://www.shmoop.com/mccarthyism-red-scare/ronald-reagan.html

thats not a great link but it’s a link. In fact Reagan was such a douche, Kirk Douglas’ Spartacus, was a F U to Reagan and others. 

2. Dementia: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/17/ronald-reagan-alzheimers-president-son

Plus, did you know who much Nancy’s psychic influenced Reagan’s policy? A freaking palm reading psychic. 

3.https://www.salon.com/2015/02/07/ronald_reagans_wartime_lies_the_president_had_quite_a_brian_williams_problem/

I hate using an article from Salon, but I’m not wrong. I did a term paper on his douchness once. And like I said, do your own research. 

4. I shouldn’t have to post a link for 4 that it’s so well known: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/03/02/before-trump-defied-the-nra-ronald-reagan-took-on-the-gun-lobby/?noredirect=on

Reagan like MLK and Gandhi have received some very preferential revisionist history over the years.

Reagan isn’t the man you think he was. 

Look into Churchill. There’s a man who was what Ronnie pretended to be.    

I’m seriously not trying to be a dick. But if you studied the man you’d realize he’s unworthy of any type of adoration. 

I've read the crap you linked to, did you? Seriously, Ron Reagan? Siding with those that wanted an assault rifle ban is the same as being against the 2nd Amendment? That Salon nonsense isn't even worth responding to much as that Smoop.com is ridiculous.

I don't even know why I bothered.

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I've read the crap you linked to, did you? Seriously, Ron Reagan? Siding with those that wanted an assault rifle ban is the same as being against the 2nd Amendment? That Salon nonsense isn't even worth responding to much as that Smoop.com is ridiculous.

I don't even know why I bothered.

Dude, asking somebody else to do research for you is lazy. 

I mean i could have hoped on Galileo and found academic articles but why spend my time doing that? I pretty much just used the first links that popped on on Googles. Every accusation I levied against the man is true. 

If you wanna willfully remain ignorant to protect your hero worship of the guy that’s fine with me. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

1. Reagan violated the privacy of many citizens during McCarthy’s reign of terror. That’s a fact. He literally spied in people and informed on suspected communists. Ergo, no appreciation for the 4th amendment.  Laughable link, but if Schmoop says so........:lol:

2. He was mentally unfit during his 2nd term. There’s no denying that. His dementia was really taking hold. This is FALSE, multiple times this nonsense has been pushed forward, only to be denied by people, and reporters who knew him, as to your knowledge, you are aware of the history of Ron JR and his dad...try again

3. He lied about being in Europe during WWII when holocaust camps were liberated to impress Israelis. That’s a fact that happened. He “misremembered” that he was actually never in Europe during WWII. But maybe you can chalk that up to point 2. Where was Ronnie then? Making awful movies and living the life of a playboy — while the men were away fighting. But I know, his “eyesight.” ...............this spin on his actual quote has also been discussed many times on this board

4. He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter.......Post presidency he wrote with two other Presidents to oppose the NRA and influence congress.......Now the Dude wants to spin that as " Staunch Supporter of Banning Weapons".....This is why it's hard to take you seriously

Only in your head

Lot's of time I just roll my eyes at your silliness Dude,

But this spouting of lies............and then demanding they are treated as facts is excrement squared

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:
  1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

1. Reagan violated the privacy of many citizens during McCarthy’s reign of terror. That’s a fact. He literally spied in people and informed on suspected communists. Ergo, no appreciation for the 4th amendment.  Laughable link, but if Schmoop says so........:lol:

2. He was mentally unfit during his 2nd term. There’s no denying that. His dementia was really taking hold. This is FALSE, multiple times this nonsense has been pushed forward, only to be denied by people, and reporters who knew him, as to your knowledge, you are aware of the history of Ron JR and his dad...try again

3. He lied about being in Europe during WWII when holocaust camps were liberated to impress Israelis. That’s a fact that happened. He “misremembered” that he was actually never in Europe during WWII. But maybe you can chalk that up to point 2. Where was Ronnie then? Making awful movies and living the life of a playboy — while the men were away fighting. But I know, his “eyesight.” ...............this spin on his actual quote has also been discussed many times on this board

4. He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter.......Post presidency he wrote with two other Presidents to oppose the NRA and influence congress.......Now the Dude wants to spin that as " Staunch Supporter of Banning Weapons".....This is why it's hard to take you seriously

Only in your head

Lot's of time I just roll my eyes at your silliness Dude,

But this spouting of lies............and then demanding they are treated as facts is excrement squared

...it’s all true. The only thing I cannot conclusively prove is the dementia in his 2nd term. But it’s not absent of evidence. How I could academically write it is ‘there is available evidence that suggests_____.’

And he did want to ban weapons. I didn’t say all weapons. 

Edited by The_Dude

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Dude, asking somebody else to do research for you is lazy. 

I mean i could have hoped on Galileo and found academic articles but why spend my time doing that? I pretty much just used the first links that popped on on Googles. Every accusation I levied against the man is true. 

If you wanna willfully remain ignorant to protect your hero worship of the guy that’s fine with me. 

I asked you for links to your accusations and you provide me with a bunch of crap that you hadn't read and I'm lazy? It is your job to back up your posts. Seems it is obvious who is lazy here.

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

...it’s all true. The only thing I cannot conclusively prove is the dementia in his 2nd term. But it’s not absent of evidence. How I could academically write it is ‘there is available evidence that suggests_____.’

And he did want to ban weapons. I didn’t say all weapons. 

He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter-----your words

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I asked you for links to your accusations and you provide me with a bunch of crap that you hadn't read and I'm lazy? It is your job to back up your posts. Seems it is obvious who is lazy here.

He was a staunch supporter of banning weapons. He wrote to congress on the matter-----your words

Ok. Read this: https://www.amazon.com/Spartacus-History-Martin-M-Winkler/dp/1405131810

I went back and researched a research paper I wrote on the topic. There ya go. Read that. I’ve read so many books that I can’t remember in which books I read what and I read several on the subject, but I think that’s the book. So ***** read that. Then get back to me. 

Reagan DID advocate to ban weapons. I never said all. And I wrote that something along the lines of ‘it’s such common knowledge I shouldn’t even have to provide a link.’ Goddamn. If I wrote Haj attacked America on 9/11 would you call me a liar because Haj didn’t attack all of America — just a few buildings?

Im sorry for being a knower of things you don’t want to be true. 

46 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

There is available evidence that suggests_____ Bill Clinton has terminal syphilis.  About as much evidence, but much more likely.

.....This is going to be the ONLY time I do this. You want real links? Fine. But this is the ONLY time I'm going to do this. Just to prove a point -- if I say I know some *****, it's because I know some *****. 

On Reagan Being a McCarthesque Douche: 

VOLUME 1: THE RED SCARE: Ronald Reagan's Testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Authors:
Danver, Steven L.
Source:
Defining Documents: The Cold War (1945-1991)
Date:
Publication Type:
Book
Subjects:
REAGAN, Ronald, 1911-2004; UNITED States. Congress. House. Committee on Un-American Activities; SCREEN Actors Guild; ANTI-communist movements -- United States -- History; COMMUNISM -- United States
Abstract:
An essay is presented which examines a historical document on the testimony given by Ronald Reagan, actor and president of the Screen Actors Guild, before the U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) on October 23, 1947 regarding the influence of communism within the guild. It discusses Reagan's views on communism and the anti-communist activities of HUAC. It also describes the history of efforts by the committee to expose potential communists in the country.
Database:
History Reference Center

Ronald Reagan’s Testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee Date: October 23, 1947 Author: Ronald Reagan Genre: speech; report Summary Overview In October 1947, motion picture actor and future US president Ronald Reagan gave testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee ( HUAC) regarding the infl uence of Communism within the Screen Actors Guild ( SAG), of which Reagan was president. Though the HUAC had been in existence since 1938, its activities had increased dramatically after the conclusion of World War II, as the perceived threat posed by the Soviet Union and Communism within the United States became more widespread. The HUAC had the power to subpoena anyone and exerted pressure on its witnesses to provide the names of people they suspected of being Communists. Refusing to name names could result in the witness being held in contempt of Congress and was likely to lead some members to the conclusion that the person him- or herself was a Communist. Though Reagan was staunchly anti- Communist, with a long track record of opposing the infl uence of Marxist ideologies, he also expressed reservations about the activities of HUAC. Defi ning Moment The fear of Communism in the United States was nothing new in the late 1940s. As early as 1919—only two years after the Soviet Union came into being—US attorney general A. Mitchell Palmer staged a series of raids on suspected Communists that set the tone for what would become know Ronald Reagan’s Testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee • 247 stars and to assess whether they were Communists intent on subverting industry groups, or, even more importantly, subtly inserting pro- Communist propaganda into Hollywood movies. Author Biography Ronald Reagan was born on February 6, 1911, and came of age during the Great Depression. Like many others of his generation, he initially supported Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Democratic Party rather than the Republicans, whom many blamed for the Depression. He became a Hollywood actor in 1937 and joined the SAG, quickly becoming involved in the union’s management. Reagan produced military training fi lms during World War II before becoming president of the SAG in 1947. As his acting career wound down in the early 1950s, he became increasingly involved in politics, and his views shifted from liberal to conservative. Reagan was elected governor of California as a Republican in 1966 and, in 1980, was elected to the US presidency. He led a resurgence of conservative ideology in both domestic and foreign affairs and was reelected in 1984. After his retirement, Reagan battled Alzheimer’s disease and died on June 5, 2004. HISTORICAL DOCUMENT The Committee met at 10:30 A.M. [October 23, 1947], the Honorable J. Parnell Thomas (Chairman) presiding. THE CHAIRMAN: The record will show that Mr. McDowell, Mr. Vail, Mr. Nixon, and Mr. Thomas are present. A Subcommittee is sitting. Staff members present: Mr. Robert E. Stripling, Chief Investigator; Messrs. Louis J. Russell, H. A. Smith, and Robert B. Gatson, Investigators; and Mr. Benjamin Mandel, Director of Research. MR. STRIPLING: When and where were you born, Mr. Reagan? MR. REAGAN: Tampico, Illinois, February 6, 1911. MR. STRIPLING: What is your present occupation? MR. REAGAN: Motion-picture actor. MR. STRIPLING: How long have you been engaged in that profession? MR. REAGAN: Since June 1937, with a brief interlude of three and a half years—that at the time didn’t seem very brief. MR. STRIPLING: What period was that? MR. REAGAN: That was during the late war. MR. STRIPLING: What branch of the service were you in? MR. REAGAN: Well, sir, I had been for several years in the Reserve as an offi cer in the United States Calvary, but I was assigned to the Air Corp. MR. STRIPLING: Are you the president of the guild at the present time? MR. REAGAN: Yes, sir. . . . MR. STRIPLING: As a member of the board of directors, as president of the Screen Actors Guild, and as an active member, have you at any time observed or noted within the organization a clique of either Communists or Fascists who were attempting to exert infl uence or pressure on the guild? MR. REAGAN: Well, sir, my testimony must be very similar to that of Mr. [ George] Murphy and Mr. [ Robert] Montgomery. There has been a small group within the Screen Actors Guild which has consistently opposed the policy of the guild board and offi cers of the guild, as evidenced by the vote on various issues. That small clique referred to has been suspected of more or less following 248 • THE RED SCARE the tactics that we associated with the Communist Party. MR. STRIPLING: Would you refer to them as a disruptive infl uence within the guild? MR. REAGAN: I would say that at times they have attempted to be a disruptive infl uence. MR. STRIPLING: You have no knowledge yourself as to whether or not any of them are members of the Communist Party? MR. REAGAN: No, sir, I have no investigative force, or anything, and I do not know. MR. STRIPLING: Has it ever been reported to you that certain members of the guild were Communists? MR. REAGAN: Yes, sir, I have heard different discussions and some of them tagged as Communists. MR. STRIPLING: Would you say that this clique has attempted to dominate the guild? MR. REAGAN: Well, sir, by attempting to put over their own particular views on various issues. . . . MR. STRIPLING: Mr. Reagan, there has been testimony to the effect here that numerous Communist-front organizations have been set up in Hollywood. Have you ever been solicited to join any of those organizations or any organization which you consider to be a Communistfront organization? MR. REAGAN: Well, sir, I have received literature from an organization called the Committee for a Far-Eastern Democratic Policy. I don’t know whether it is Communist or not. I only know that I didn’t like their views and as a result I didn’t want to have anything to do with them. . . . MR. STRIPLING: Would you say from your observation that this is typical of the tactics or strategy of the Communists, to solicit and use the names of prominent people to either raise money or gain support. MR. REAGAN: I think it is in keeping with their tactics, yes, sir. MR. STRIPLING: Do you think there is anything democratic about those tactics? MR. REAGAN: I do not, sir. MR. STRIPLING: Mr. Reagan, what is your feeling about what steps should be taken to rid the motion-picture industry of any Communist infl uences? MR. REAGAN: Well, sir, ninety-nine percent of us are pretty well aware of what is going on, and I think, within the bounds of our democratic rights and never once stepping over the rights given us by democracy, we have done a pretty good job in our business of keeping those people’s activities curtailed. After all, we must recognize them at present as a political party. On that basis we have exposed their lies when we came across them, we have opposed their propaganda, and I can certainly testify that in the case of the Screen Actors Guild we have been eminently successful in preventing them from, with their usual tactics, trying to run a majority of an organization with a well-organized minority. In opposing those people, the best thing to do is make democracy work. . . . Sir, I detest, I abhor their philosophy, but I detest more than that their tactics, which are those of the fi fth column, and are dishonest, but at the same time I never as a citizen want to see our country become urged, by either fear or resentment of this group that we ever compromise with any of our democratic principles through that fear or resentment. I still think that democracy can do it. Ronald Reagan’s Testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee • 249 Document Analysis In this congressional transcript, Reagan answers question posed by the HUAC chief investigator Robert E. Stripling regarding his background and his knowledge of Communist activity in the motion picture industry. Reagan claims he is aware of some attempts to infl uence the SAG by individuals he thinks may be Communists or Communist sympathizers, but says they are a small minority. He asserts his own anti- Communist views as well as his belief that promoting democracy is the best way to counteract Communism. Stripling begins the questioning by going over the basic facts—where Reagan was born, his occupation, and his wartime military service. Then Reagan is directly asked if he has seen within the SAG “a clique of either Communists or Fascists who were attempting to exert infl uence or pressure on the guild.” Reagan’s answer is both nonspecifi c and noncommittal. He states that, as others had testifi ed, there are some within SAG that he has suspects are Communists, but that he has no direct information about their affi liation. However, he does deem their ideas disruptive and their tactics as those that he would associate with members of the Communist Party. Reagan states that he has heard that some members of the SAG were thought to be Communists, but is hesitant to cite such hearsay evidence. He agrees that the suspicious faction could be considered to be attempting to dominate the SAG and impose its own ideology on the group. Stripling then asks Reagan if he has been recruited by any Communist-front organizations. Reagan describes receiving literature from a group called the Committee for a Far-Eastern Democratic Policy, claiming that he disregarded it, as he did not like the group’s views, but he qualifi es that he does not know whether the group is in fact Communist. Stripling then asks if the group’s recruitment tactics are typical of Communist organizations, and Reagan agrees that they are and that such methods are undemocratic. Reagan does not mention his involvement in two other groups considered Communist-front organizations, or his work as an informant for the FBI on those groups. In his conclusion, Reagan is asked what he thinks should be done to purge Hollywood of Communist subversion. He responds by asserting that most people in the motion picture industry are aware of any Communist efforts and that the majority has been largely successful in preventing Communism from having any real impact on the industry. He obliquely critiques the HUAC investigation by claiming that anti- Communist efforts must remain “within the bounds of our democratic rights” and that the best method is to let democracy run its course. Reagan reasserts his opposition to Communist beliefs and tactics, but cautions against allowing fear and resentment to dictate the US response to Communism. Essential Themes The key themes of Reagan’s testimony are the atmosphere of anti- Communist suspicion fostered by the HUAC, its impact on the motion picture industry, and the confl icting views on how to deal with the perceived Communist threat. Central to the issue is the balance between addressing potential matters of national security and preserving the right to free speech. Reagan illustrates the divisive nature of the subject, as he was strongly opposed to Communism and cooperated with the HUAC, but also understood the risk the investigations posed to democratic values. The HUAC investigations into Hollywood have been viewed by historians as a major violation of free speech. Investigations often ruined careers, as studios kept blacklists of actors, writers, and directors that were suspected of having Communist sympathies. The HUAC grilled the people they subpoenaed about their personal political beliefs and then asked for the names of any other people who might have also participated in subversive activities. Those who refused to cooperate could be held in contempt of Congress and imprisoned. Those who invoked their Fifth Amendment rights were branded Communists and often blacklisted. Soon after Reagan testifi ed, ten writers, producers, and directors refused to cooperate with the HUAC investigations and were held in contempt of Congress. The so-called Hollywood Ten were all sentenced to prison and blacklisted by the studios. However, their saga also became a cause célèbre among those who thought, as Reagan had alluded, that the right to freedom of speech and thought was of greater importance than whether or not one was or ever had been associated with Communism. Reagan’s call to allow democracy to naturally resist Communist infl uence went unheeded. The Second Red Scare grew into the 1950s, culminating with Senator Joseph McCarthy’s extreme accusations of subversion for his own political gain; such unfounded accusations and persecution became known as “ McCarthyism.” The Hollywood blacklist lasted into the 250 • THE RED SCARE 1960s, and many careers were damaged beyond repair. The era of fear and paranoia would have a lasting effect on US politics and culture. —Steven L. Danver, PhD Bibliography and Additional Reading Bentley, Eric, ed. Thirty Years of Treason: Excerpts from Hearings before the House Committee on UnAmerican Activities, 1938–1968. New York: Thunder’s Mouth, 2002. Print. Litvak, Joseph. The Un-Americans: Jews, the Blacklist, and Stoolpigeon Culture. Durham: Duke UP, 2009. Print. May, Lary, ed. Recasting America: Culture and Politics in the Age of Cold War. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1989. Print. Vaughan, Stephen. Ronald Reagan in Hollywood: Movies and Politics. New York: Cambridge UP, 1994. Print.

On Reagan's mental state during his 2nd Term: Again, this doesn't conclusively state -- but historians of modernity, many of them, have ample evidence to believe that he was losing his marbles while in office. I'm using this source because it was one I could get off of an academic search. Not conclusive -- in fact it makes a denial -- but it responsibly presents both sides. That's what I believe in anyways. I believe in presenting the record, not dictating it.

References

WOODARD, J. D. Ronald Reagan: A Biography. Santa Barbara, Calif: Greenwood, 2012.

In August 1994, at age 83, Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alz-heimer’s disease. The illness is incurable; it gradually destroys brain cells and ultimately causes death. In his own hand, Ronald Reagan wrote his fi nal farewell to the American people. I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Ameri-cans who will be affl icted with Alzheimer’s Disease. . . . At the moment I feel fi ne. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done . . . I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead. Thank you, my friends, May God always bless you. 9 Although the course of Alzheimer’s is different for every individual, its effects on the former president were never disclosed to the American SUNSET 183public. It was a long goodbye for Nancy Reagan: ten years. In her own words she said, “I didn’t want anyone to see him like that.” 10 When the announcement was made of his medical condition, a host of re-porters and critics chimed in to analyze his presidency from the per-spective of the disease. Every misstatement and repeated sentence was parsed, even though his physicians at the time he was in the White House denied that the former president had “any signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s.” The critics were unrelenting in their reanalysis. Lesley Stahl, who covered the White House for CBS News in the Reagan years, said that she recalled Reagan having had a “vacant stare,” and others talked about his forgetfulness.

Reagan's White House Operated Like a Pagan Society:

Source: If you don't like the source, the sources sources are well sourced and sound.

Joan Ceciel Quigley (April 10, 1927 – October 23, 2014), of San Francisco, California, was an astrologer best known for her astrological advice to the Reagan White House in the 1980s. Quigley was born in Kansas City, Missouri.

She was called on by First Lady Nancy Reagan in 1981 after John Hinckley's attempted assassination of the president, and stayed on as the White House astrologer in secret until being outed in 1988 by ousted former chief of staff Donald Regan.

Relationship with Nancy Reagan[edit]

Joan Quigley first met Nancy Reagan in the 1970s on The Merv Griffin Show.[1] After Ronald Reagan became president, and after the attempt on his life on March 30, 1981, Nancy asked Quigley if she could have foreseen, and possibly prevented, the assassination attempt. Quigley answered affirmatively, saying that she could have done so had she been looking at the time. At that point, Nancy Reagan enlisted Quigley's astrological advice on a regular basis, and held frequent telephone conversations with Quigley. Explaining why she turned to Quigley, Nancy later wrote, "Very few people can understand what it's like to have your husband shot at and almost die, and then have him exposed all the time to enormous crowds, tens of thousands of people, any one of whom might be a lunatic with a gun.... I was doing everything I could think of to protect my husband and keep him alive."[2]

Joan Quigley discussed her relationship with Nancy Reagan in a book, titled What Does Joan Say?. Quigley wrote, "Not since the days of the Roman emperors, and never in the history of the United States presidency, has an astrologer played such a significant role in the nation's affairs of State."

When Donald Regan took over as chief of staff for President Reagan in 1985, he was informed by Reagan aide Michael Deaver about Quigley and her role.[3] Regan, who frequently quarreled with Nancy Reagan, resigned in 1987 after the Iran–Contra affair. In 1988, Regan published his memoir For the Record: From Wall Street to Washington, revealing that Nancy Reagan had consulted with Quigley, and previously with astrologer Jeane Dixon. Regan wrote:

Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco [Quigley] who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise.[3][1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Quigley

I mean my freaking god....THE IRAN CONTRA SCANDAL!

he Iran-Contra Scandal Taints the Reagan Administration.

Source:
Great Events, 1982-1988, Vol. 9, p1207

Ronald Reagan (1911- ), President of the United States from 1981 to 1989

John M. Poindexter (1936- ), National Security Adviser to the President from 1985 to 1986

Oliver L. North (1943- ), a lieutenant colonel who served as an aide to the National Security Council

Arms for Hostages

The Iran-Contra scandal involved the United States' dealings with two countries: Iran and Nicaragua. The United States considered the Iranian government unreliable and dangerous. During the regime of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who came to power in Iran in 1979, sixty-six employees of the American embassy were seized in Tehran, Iran's capital. Fourteen were later released, but the rest were held hostage for fourteen months. The release came just after Ronald Reagan was inaugurated as president in 1981. Under "Operation Staunch," begun in 1983, the United States had convinced other governments not to sell weapons to Iran.

In a nationally televised speech on November 13, 1986, however, President Reagan said that U.S. arms had been sold in Iran in an attempt to create better relations with certain Iranian moderates. The president denied that the weapons had been sold in exchange for the release of American hostages who were being held by pro-Iranian terrorists in Lebanon. In fact, Reagan had often stated his firm policy against bargaining with terrorists in any way. By March, 1987, however, the president admitted that "what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated in its implementation into trading arms for hostages."

The second nation involved in the scandal was Nicaragua-though not Nicaragua's government, but a group of anti-government rebels, called the Contras. On November 25, 1986, the Reagan Administration announced that the Justice Department had found evidence that some of the money earned by the arms sale had been passed along to the Contras. As a result of their involvement in this scheme, National Security Adviser John Poindexter resigned, and National Security Council aide Oliver North was fired.

Since 1981, Reagan had insisted that the Sandinistas who governed Nicaragua were Marxist extremists who would form close ties with Cuba and the Soviet Union. Some members of Congress disagreed, arguing that the Sandinistas were more committed to nationalism than to Marxist ideas. Trying to end the Reagan Administration's support for the Contras, in October, 1984, Congress had passed the Boland Amendment, which prohibited aid to the Contras by any executive-branch agency that was involved in intelligence activities. Congress wanted the United States to provide only humanitarian aid to the Contras-not military aid. So the Iran-Contra affair raised an important question: Had Reagan's staff broken the law as stated in the Boland Amendment by supplying money for the Contras' military operations?

Investigations and Findings

Events of the Iran-Contra scandal were uncovered in a series of investigations that involved both the executive and legislative branches. After the Justice Department discovered a memo from North stating that funds from the Iran arms sales had been passed along to the Contras, President Reagan appointed a commission, headed by Senator John Tower, to investigate the matter further.

The Tower Commission report, released February 26, 1987, criticized President Reagan for his management style. According to the report, Reagan had given considerable power to his staff members, including Poindexter and North-who carried out the weapons sale and support to the Contras without reporting back to the president. A special prosecutor, retired judge Lawrence Walsh, was appointed to investigate whether there had been criminal wrongdoing.

In congressional hearings between May 5 and August 3, 1987, the Select Committees of the House of Representatives and the Senate investigating the affair held dramatic joint hearings. Thirty-two witnesses appeared before the committees, including North. In forceful, effective testimony, North defended both the sale of weapons to Iran and his efforts to help the Contras. Admitting that he had made earlier statements to Congress that were misleading, North explained that because Congress had been unreliable in providing support for the Contras, the executive branch needed to take secret action to keep the Contras afloat. North claimed that the Boland Amendment did not apply to the National Security Council, only to intelligence agencies.

In his testimony, Poindexter insisted that he had not informed President Reagan that some funds from the weapons sales had been used to help the Contras. Poindexter believed that this information was a detail that the president did not need to know, since Reagan had made it clear that he did wish to support the Contras. In the end, the committees found no evidence that Reagan had known about the diversion of funds to the Contras.

Consequences

The majority report issued by the select committees stated that the secret Iran-Contra initiatives had been marked by "secrecy, deception, and disdain for the rule of law." The committees said that the aid to the Nicaraguan Contras did violate the Boland Amendment, and that it had disregarded Congress' authority to make decisions about how government money should be spent.

According to the report, several officials of the executive branch had misled and lied to Congress. It suggested that if President Reagan had not been aware of the use of funds for the Contras and other aspects of the affair, he should have been.

The Iran-Contra scandal highlights the need for cooperation between the executive branch and Congress in foreign policy. Although the executive branch often takes the lead in foreign affairs, the U.S. Constitution also assigns certain powers in this area to Congress. The Iran-Contra affair also shows that the president must stay in control over his staff; otherwise they may make independent decisions that can actually work against the best interests of the president and the nation.

He was consulting with psychics while breaking the law and lying about his military service while racking up the debt. Not a heroic conservative.

His inaction during the AIDS outbreak due to the victims mainly being fagosexuals speaks volumes on the content of his character. 

RONNIE WAS NOT A GOOD GUY. 

Maybe the Dude has sat through lectures. Maybe the Dude has learned from historians who have the first name of "Doctor." Maybe the Dude has read books on the topic that Google doesn't make easy to find links that summarize. Maybe the Dude isn't just talking out his ass. Maybe I know some *****.

You want a conservative hero worthy of your adoration? I suggest you start and finish with this: https://www.amazon.com/Last-Lion-Box-Set-Churchill/dp/0316227781/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&amp;psc=1&amp;refRID=0E6QGN8JZ8F9ACHGT45H

And like I said, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill was 10 times the American and conservative that Reagan was......

And I can easily find more damning source based facts on Reagans doucheness, but why? I know I know my *****, maybe some of you needa catch up.

And theres no defending this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020403106.html?noredirect=on

In the spring of 1945, Capt. Reagan, as the FMPU's intelligence officer, spent weeks processing raw color footage from the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps. The images so burned into his brain that later in life - quite understandably - he imagined he had been there at Ohrdruf and Buchenwald. He kept one of those Army reels to show to each of his children in early adolescence, so that they could learn about man's inhumanity to man. Ask Patti. Ask Ron.

Reagans infamous 'i was there when holocaust camps were liberated' lie was a LIE. How do you mis-remember that? You can't......unless of course you're suffering from dementia. Or lying. I've read a ***** ton on WWI. However, I did not fight at the Somme -- I promise. He was either lying about his war record (which isn't a war record because he did not do war things because he like Trump punked out) or suffering dementia. It cannot be argued any other way @B-Man

On 12/19/2018 at 10:47 AM, Tiberius said:

Trump's funeral will be interesting. Will the media be allowed in the prison to cover it? 

I feel sorry for your mom having to clean up your "emissions" when you fantasize about Trump out in the open.  You do have a pressable keyboard cover?  Yes?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Maybe the Dude has sat through lectures. Maybe the Dude has learned from historians who have the first name of "Doctor." Maybe the Dude has read books on the topic that Google doesn't make easy to find links that summarize. Maybe the Dude isn't just talking out his ass. Maybe I know some *****.

You want a conservative hero worthy of your adoration? I suggest you start and finish with this: https://www.amazon.com/Last-Lion-Box-Set-Churchill/dp/0316227781/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&amp;psc=1&amp;refRID=0E6QGN8JZ8F9ACHGT45H

And like I said, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill was 10 times the American and conservative that Reagan was......

And I can easily find more damning source based facts on Reagans doucheness, but why? I know I know my *****, maybe some of you needa catch up.

And theres no defending this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020403106.html?noredirect=on

In the spring of 1945, Capt. Reagan, as the FMPU's intelligence officer, spent weeks processing raw color footage from the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps. The images so burned into his brain that later in life - quite understandably - he imagined he had been there at Ohrdruf and Buchenwald. He kept one of those Army reels to show to each of his children in early adolescence, so that they could learn about man's inhumanity to man. Ask Patti. Ask Ron.

Reagans infamous 'i was there when holocaust camps were liberated' lie was a LIE. How do you mis-remember that? You can't......unless of course you're suffering from dementia. Or lying. I've read a ***** ton on WWI. However, I did not fight at the Somme -- I promise. He was either lying about his war record (which isn't a war record because he did not do war things because he like Trump punked out) or suffering dementia. It cannot be argued any other way @B-Man

YOU NEED HELP. GET IT.

34 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

YOU NEED HELP. GET IT.

Whoa fella, HOLD UP. 

You say Ronnie is your hero. I state he’s a douchebag who’s not who you think he is for specific reasons. You then do the douchebag thing and demand links or my accusations aren’t true despite the fact that I’m an academically trained student of history. I then provide you with links that substantiate my points despite my better judgement. You then wrongfully assert that all my accusations against Ronnie are untrue because you don’t like the sources. I then provide you with online sources that would be acceptable in any academic paper because they’re peer reviewed articles by historians and then your punk response is ‘I’m crazy and need help’? That’s just amazing. 

Ronald Reagan committed treason during his Iran Contra crime. I NEVER wanna hear anything about Obama’s Fast-n-Furious from somebody who thinks Ronnie was a good guy. 

And, your douchetastic response is EXACTLY why I don’t waste my time providing links. No amount of informatio I lay before you will convince you Ronnie isnt the deity you desperately want him to be, in the same way that I cannot convince DerangedRhino that Q is just some assclown who reads infowars. You’re dug in and your gonna believe what ya want. 

I knew better but i did it anyways. 

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Whoa fella, HOLD UP. 

You say Ronnie is your hero. I state he’s a douchebag who’s not who you think he is for specific reasons. You then do the douchebag thing and demand links or my accusations aren’t true despite the fact that I’m an academically trained student of history. I then provide you with links that substantiate my points despite my better judgement. You then wrongfully assert that all my accusations against Ronnie are untrue because you don’t like the sources. I then provide you with online sources that would be acceptable in any academic paper because they’re peer reviewed articles by historians and then your punk response is ‘I’m crazy and need help’? That’s just amazing. 

Ronald Reagan committed treason during his Iran Contra crime. I NEVER wanna hear anything about Obama’s Fast-n-Furious from somebody who thinks Ronnie was a good guy. 

And, your douchetastic response is EXACTLY why I don’t waste my time providing links. No amount of informatio I lay before you will convince you Ronnie isnt the deity you desperately want him to be, in the same way that I cannot convince DerangedRhino that Q is just some assclown who reads infowars. You’re dug in and your gonna believe what ya want. 

I knew better but i did it anyways. 

You're all over the place and postshit that doesn't support your premise. Your long post about his testimony before the HUAC only proved that he was democratically inclined. I doubt you read what you link to because generally speaking, you refute yourself. I've bent over backwards to converse civilly with you because you have a good point or two as it pertains to terrorism. The rest of your crap pretty much portrays you as a psycho. GET HELP.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You're all over the place and postshit that doesn't support your premise. Your long post about his testimony before the HUAC only proved that he was democratically inclined. I doubt you read what you link to because generally speaking, you refute yourself. I've bent over backwards to converse civilly with you because you have a good point or two as it pertains to terrorism. The rest of your crap pretty much portrays you as a psycho. GET HELP.

HUAC- I’m sorry it’s hard for me to find links when my education came from lectures and books, and not paragraphs on the internet. 

What that story doesnt get into is that Ronnie volunteered to rat on people and spied on them.

Further, of course I read it. Pay special note to the generalization it mentions of historians at the articles end. Ya know — the one about free speech. 

Im sorry your hero is a douchebag. 

Heres another link: https://www.amazon.com/Iran-Contra-Reagans-Scandal-Unchecked-Presidential/dp/0700625909/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545503146&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=iran+contra+books&dpPl=1&dpID=51mO68-L7DL&ref=plSrch

i have this book in my personal library at home. Shall I take a picture of each page and upload one by one? 

And pray do tell what exactly I wrote here that suggests I’m a loose cannon as you suggest? I don’t think you’ll find much to stand on other that you just want to label my ramblings as crazy because they don’t fit the narrative that you want to be true. 

On 5/22/2018 at 12:09 PM, Paulus said:

Idk, I like a lot of the insults and think most are deserved. The smugness from those in the ivory towers has gotten a little out of hand over the past couple of decades. 

Who has lived a more Ivory Tower existence than the current President?

That he is idolized by some as "one of us" is funny stuff.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Who has lived a more Ivory Tower existence than the current President?

That he is idolized by some as "one of us" is funny stuff.

Ivory tower is to do with academics versus economics.  I think that the term you are looking for is penthouse.  Not to be confused with the skin magazine before the internet era.

54 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Boy, losing (yet again) to the Pats*** must have the maim board in flames. It brings the cockroaches out in droves. 

Is that "maim board" related to that mayhem guy in the insurance commercial?

1 hour ago, blzrul said:

Just going by the headline I'd have to agree.  Reagan suffered from dementia - as does Trump. 

Nice diagnosis from the person that goes "ready, fire, aim".

On 12/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, RochesterRob said:

Ivory tower is to do with academics versus economics.  I think that the term you are looking for is penthouse.  Not to be confused with the skin magazine before the internet era.

i·vo·ry tow·er
/ˈˌīv(ə)rē ˈˌtou(ə)r/
noun
  1. a state of privileged seclusion or separation from the facts and practicalities of the real world.

Edited by Kemp

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

i·vo·ry tow·er
/ˈˌīv(ə)rē ˈˌtou(ə)r/
noun
  1. a state of privileged seclusion or separation from the facts and practicalities of the real world.
    "the ivory tower of academia"

As applied it is virtually never used in the context of an insulated wealthy person speaking out about issues in the world.  Far more common is the use of the word penthouse and the phrase "the view from the penthouse..."  A friend of mine from central NY (Syracuse) speaks of a show on the local PBS station titled "The Ivory Tower" which has a small collection of area college professors speaking of various issues from a left of center standpoint.  I think that is unlikely they would fly with such a title for their show given the implications from the definition you provide.  It would be self-mocking and I find it highly unlikely that they would engage in such behavior.  I've seen the show a few times and am fascinated with their thought processes even though I seldom align with them.  Might be worth a periodic review on this forum.

The full quote:

i·vo·ry tow·er
[ˈˌīv(ə)rē ˈˌtou(ə)r]
NOUN
ivory towers (plural noun)
    "the ivory tower of academia"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

“America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, ‘You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won’t become a German or a Turk.’ But then he added, ‘Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.’ ”

• Thank you (+1) 1