Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'd never bet the farm on anything, but I'd bet decent money that he won't be back.

Doc, the entire situation smells. Nothing would surprise me.

If I had to bet, the Bills match a pretty good size deal then deduct 1.5 mil

5 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Doc, the entire situation smells. Nothing would surprise me.

If I had to bet, the Bills match a pretty good size deal then deduct 1.5 mil

And ritchie does this out of honor or?

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then why did he sign for a pay cut?....that is the CORE question.....duress?...under the influence?.....regular meds wore off?.....how come?.....

His agent knows his market. His market wasn’t higher than what the Bills offered. If he didn’t take it he would have been cut. If he was cut he may not even get what the Bills were offering. He apparently disagreed with his agent after the fact. Maybe his agent did a poor job, and his market was higher. Bad job out of him or the agent to vet the situation.  Forget PFF, he’s not a hot commodity. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

And ritchie does this out of honor or?

I believe he worked a deal for his release.

Not buying the Bills just let him go after holding Anquan Bolden to his deal??

Its always possible the Bills won't match

Edited by THE SLAMMER

1 minute ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Not buying the Bills just let him go after holding Eric Bolten to his deal??

Sounds like a conflation of Anquan Boldin and Eric Boulton. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Not buying the Bills just let him go after holding Eric Bolten to his deal??

giphy.gif

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Logic said:

After not letting Boldin out of his contract last year, Beane not letting Richie out of HIS contract this year would have been a bad look for the Bills.

19 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So what happens when Jerry Hughes decides he doesn’t want to play for the Bills anymore. He wants to play for the Pats. He throws a fit and retires. They just let him do it?

This exactly what happened with Eugene Parker and Bills.  He felt he could use pressure of holdouts, bad publicity, etc to force contract changes and is exactly why Bills should have insisted Richie Incognito remain on reserved/retired list unless Bills received compensation to release him.

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It certainly seems as though Ritchie is now showing his true colors.  If he signed a restructured contract, he should absolutely adhere to that contract.  If he feels that he was "duped" by either the Bills or his agent, and signed the contract without understanding the full ramifications/details, then too bad for him.  I receive a new contract every March for the following school year, and I'm given 14 calendar days to review and sign (or dispute if I disagree).  It's my choice, and I read and try to understand every last word on the document before I sign.  No different here.

It appears it was signed by his agent and what he should have been rational and told the Bills "I was told by my agent that he signed agreement to salary cut and I did not agree to this.  Can we talk to NFLPA and get contract mod nullified."   Then Richie and Bills could have sat down and made agreement he and Bills could agree on or if Bills insisted on salary cut he could have refused and let them determine if money was enough reason to cut him.

The tweets acting like a twit gave Bills every valid reason not to be in a reasonable mood.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Bills required Incognito to take a pay cut in order to stay with the team. If he wouldn't have agreed to the cut he would have been released. The point is that he wasn't seen as an indispensable player that this team had to have. Incognito wasn't happy with the pay cut yet still signed the contract. That was a mistake on his part because he could have just said no to the cut and then have his release.

It appears agent signed for him for he gave agent right.  That was the mistake but understand why some players may want to do this.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This exactly what happened with Eugene Parker and Bills.  He felt he could use pressure of holdouts, bad publicity, etc to force contract changes and is exactly why Bills should have insisted Richie Incognito remain on reserved/retired list unless Bills received compensation to release him.

Agree to disagree on this one.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know some people are in love with PFF, but speaking as a self-admitted stats geek I don't think some of their stats pass the test of correlating to onfield results.

Example: Tyrod Taylor is their #12 QB.  Bills have #22 offense for points and #31 offense for passing yards, how does that add up to #12 QB?

Anyway, the criteria for PFF's OL and DL grades are particularly unclear to me.

Me too. Not sure about the #12 rank, but by most accounts Richie had a pretty good year.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It appears it was signed by his agent and what he should have been rational and told the Bills "I was told by my agent that he signed agreement to salary cut and I did not agree to this.  Can we talk to NFLPA and get contract mod nullified."   Then Richie and Bills could have sat down and made agreement he and Bills could agree on or if Bills insisted on salary cut he could have refused and let them determine if money was enough reason to cut him.

The tweets acting like a twit gave Bills every valid reason not to be in a reasonable mood.

It appears agent signed for him for he gave agent right.  That was the mistake but understand why some players may want to do this.

I doubt that the agent would have signed the diminished contract if it wasn't approved by Incognito. Incognito agreed to the terms but was irked by the salary cut. Without question he had second thoughts about the signing. The team did the right thing for itself by not wasting their time being involved in a conflict with a player that they weren't committed to. When all is said and done they acted in their own self-interest and were more than fair and generous with the volatile player. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Not buying the Bills just let him go after holding Anquan Bolden to his deal??

The beauty of creating this storyline is that you can never be proven wrong. No matter what, you can just say oh well Buffalo didn’t match 

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Me too. Not sure about the #12 rank, but by most accounts Richie had a pretty good year.

30-whatever his new salary was would put him spot on average for starting guards.

At 34 and given his laundry list of trouble.... I don’t think it’s a crazy offer and given he signed it- his behavior reinforces that he’s damaged goods and you need to have him at a discount 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

The beauty of creating this storyline is that you can never be proven wrong. No matter what, you can just say oh well Buffalo didn’t match 

Just an observation when nothing makes sense, complete speculation on my part

22 hours ago, Peter said:

Cheering against the Bills?!? My argument is that I think the Bills would be better if we kept our best offensive lineman.  To me, that sounds like I am taking a good faith position promoting the best interests of the Bills and, in particular, the QB and Shady who will have to play behind this line.

As for who outsmarted whom:

Incognito got his release and got to keep his bonus.  In other words, he got what he wanted.  If you want to call this a win for McBeane, that is your certainly your prerogative. 

Well, there are different ways to win, and different ways to lose.  If RI's plan to win was to renegotiate his contract, subsequently appear unbalanced, imply continued time in the NFL would be significantly detrimental to his health, then flip it around like he was thrilled to be back all while retiring then unretiring, honestly the only sensible plan for Beane is to release him.  His tweet storm was disruptive, odd, bipolar and most certainly disruptive to the enterprise. If it was all a game to bankroll an extra mill, well, you know the value he places on that element of his reputation. How can you trust him in that case?   I think the play to release the guy shows strength as a leader, because yeah, RI could have a great season. He could also have significant mental health issues and clearly does not want to play for the team or contract he agreed to 20 minutes before he lost his marbles. 

Beane was not outsmarted in any respect, no matter how you slice it.

btw...I hate what happened, but have no other beef with RI. He was great while he was here, I enjoyed watching him, but he's gone now and the ugliness is on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other than his Pro Bowl invites, what can you specifically point to that in the opinion owned by you in particular would potentially put him in the HOF.  What does he do that makes you single him out?

The Bills have been the best running team in the NFL the past couple years.

fred Jackson’s 200+ yard rushing game. He was blowing open huge holes for him to run thru. HOF performance.