Bills' OTAs Week 1 (May 22-24) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday

50 minutes ago, eball said:

That's a bold prediction, Cotton.

LOL, this didn't get worded by what I meant.  In my mind I picture AJ and Nate having an advantage due to experience over Allen and therefore he probably won't get the nod, BUT since all of them are learning a new offense then it's not a given that the experience that the former two have will be a huge factor.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bills' OTAs Week 1 (May 22-24) - Practice Open to the Media on Thursday
32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Correct. Only on Thursday this week.

The "I want my Bills news NOW" part of me is disappointed but I'm actually glad they're doing it this way.  The last thing we really need is to have the media tweeting about every incompletion or perceived misstep these guys take when they are all starting from scratch.  Give them a couple of days without media "intervention" and then see what we have on Thursday.

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, JohnC said:

It wouldn't bother me if Allen doesn't get immediate playing time. As you are saying or I think you are saying I hope he demonstrates rather quickly that he can handle the position. If McCarron or Peterman start off as the starters because they have a better grasp of the offense I would be fine with that. What I want to know is whether Allen can grasp a pro offense that includes progressions and reads. Once that is determined then his physical skills eventually will prevail in his competition with the other qbs. 

There are two players that I will be following in training camp and preseason: Shaq Lawson and Zay Jones. I don't believe either will ever be elite players but I hope that they can improve their play to the level of being solid players. 

I think that's already been answered. He ran a pro style offense at Wyoming. 

Here's part of Tim Graham's article about Josh Allen.

"Josh took it like he was an NFL quarterback," Jenkins said. A stupefied smile crossed Jenkins' face at the memory. "Right after the game, he would be talking about the game plan for next week, telling me what his favorite pass plays and run plays were for the upcoming opponent.

Jenkins soon discovered he had trouble staying a few steps ahead of Josh's obsessiveness. As a challenge, Jenkins created play scripts for the next game and quizzed Josh about, say, the sixth play and why it was designed to set up the eighth or 11th.

Josh was a savant in his absorption of schemes.

Amid the usual chaos of a youth sideline, Jenkins sometimes had to wrangle players while Josh was on the field. Josh would gesture at his offensive coordinator to let him call the next play, and Jenkins was comfortable with it.

Josh made checks at the line of scrimmage, repositioned his linemen before the snap, put receivers in motion, called audibles.

I took out one key sentence.

"And you were talking to a 9-year-old kid."

Yes, this was Josh Allen as a 9 year old in pop warner football, making checks at the line and calling audibles. 

From all indications, Josh was great on the white board during the draft process. I think the real question is, can he process coverages and reads in 2 seconds while 300 pound men try to beat the crap out of him.

"We always thought, 'This kid is special.' He had that drive that he was always going to succeed, and that it's not about him. It's for his team.

"And he was 9 years old."

I love that Allen is so easy to root for. As for throwing him into the fire and ruining him, I think he's too tough mentally for that to happen. I really hope he comes out and wins the starter job from day one. It might not always be pretty year 1 or even 2, but I think we're going to see some flashes and hopefully enough consistency to win some games while he grows and they add more weapons. 

Edited by elroy16

On 5/21/2018 at 10:41 AM, ScottLaw said:

This should be true. Petermans also a devout Christian. That helps his cause. He will be on the team unless he's absolutely terrible in preseason.

He will be throwing to the Lions. I mean, he will be thrown to the lions. 

5 hours ago, elroy16 said:

I love that Allen is so easy to root for. As for throwing him into the fire and ruining him, I think he's too tough mentally for that to happen. I really hope he comes out and wins the starter job from day one. It might not always be pretty year 1 or even 2, but I think we're going to see some flashes and hopefully enough consistency to win some games while he grows and they add more weapons. 

I'd say in regards to his toughness one of the best examples of that is how things worked out with his first start at UW. I mean after all the crap he went through to get to a FBS school and his first start he breaks his collar bone. Then when he comes back the next year and lights it up.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

His wife is the princess of Buffalo. He should always be wearing the band.

I thought Kim Pegula was the princess of Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1