Buffalo News: GM Beane breaks down trading up twice in first round of NFL Draft

14 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just ran the numbers on the draft pick value chart and 16 is worth 1000 and 56, 65 and 71 added up to 840.  I get that it's three players but I think you are underestimating how valuable a mid to high first round pick is worth.  Edmunds was considered a top 10 player at a need position.  You could probably even add more value to that 1000 because of who we got.  They made the right move.

With the actual two trade ups that happened, they also got back late round picks that led to Neal and Proehl... 

Sure they are lottery tickets but you never know...

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

With the actual two trade ups that happened, they also got back late round picks that led to Neal and Proehl... 

Ah true, thank you I forgot about them.  They made the right move by going with Tremaine and some later picks.  I really like Neal, I think he has a lot of potential to be used as a nice depth piece.

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Good point.  I forgot about that.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry guys, I just don't get all the "stupid" or "lucky" talk with the Jets in trading up.

In what was well understood to be a QB wealthy draft (regardless of "putting our board together" bs), especially compared to next year's draft, they guaranteed themselves the 3rd best QB, no matter what.

What is the difference between the 3rd and 4th best QB?

in some drafts, Ben Rothlesberger and JP Losman.

Beane's candor about what went on behind the scenes is refreshing. It also shows that we have a methodology in place and an absolute ceiling and floor for what we'll pay. 

Meanwhile the draft machinations during the Decade of Fail are shrouded in secrecy. If fans were told how Aaron Maybin was selected it would have been pitchforks and torches at OBD.

This shows how far we've come as an organization

Beanes admission that he did not have sufficient information on the QB's to trade up at the time the Jets did is very telling  about the Jets organization., I think they traded up to third  in hopes  of getting a QB , any QB. They were not selective at the point of trading up and  were just waiting to see what there fortunes were. They selected Darnold because it was the SAFE pick. Kind of reminds me of some of the drafts the Bills in bygone years used to do , by going  along with the "drugstore  " list . Darnold was the safe pick  because he was rated  the number one QB pick by most of the drugstore lists. IF , the rumor is true that the Jet scouts wanted Allen in the draft , I am glad we have Beane for our GM.

• Like (+1) 2

I really like how Beane is able to say how hard his team worked and prepared for the draft, but also say they got lucky.  No ego there.

It will be so freaking awesome if Allen is the man and Edmunds is the cornerstone of this D for the next 10+ years.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:17 AM, HappyDays said:

This is a fantastic article:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/04/inside-the-bills-gm-brandon-beane-breaks-down-how-he-traded-up-twice-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525465869

I see now it's behind a paywall. I was able to read it a few minutes ago and now I can't. If someone can copy and paste it that would be helpful.

Nice article. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

18 hours ago, mannc said:

If Edmunds becomes a star, you’re probably right, but if the Denver trade happens, then instead of Edmunds, we get picks 56, 65 and either 71 or 99 (article does not say which of Denver’s 3ds we would get back).  That’s a substantial haul and despite what you might think, those are considered premium picks.  No way to know who the Bills would have taken of course, but IMO, the Bills would have made out just as well if they had traded up to 5 for Allen.

It's all subjective. Those may be considered premium picks but then what do you consider the 16th overall pick where we got Edmunds? Premium ultra? 

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's all subjective. Those may be considered premium picks but then what do you consider the 16th overall pick where we got Edmunds? Premium ultra? 

Of course it’s subjective.  Personally, I’d probably rather have picks 56, 65 and 71 than one LB, despite what the draft chart might  say.  As another poster pointed out, the Bills also got back a 5th rounder for Edmunds, so that helps.  

I’m fine with what the Bills did; my original point was that they would have been just as well off (or nearly so) if they had done the reported trade with Denver to get to 5 instead of getting Allen at 7 from TB.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, mannc said:

I’m not saying I’m unhappy with what we got, but if the Bills do that trade with Denver, they end up with two more premium picks in the draft: pick 65 and Denver’s third, while effectively swapping 22 for 56.  

But you also give up Edmunds. That's part of the equation.