What This Draft Taught Bills Fans

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Your rah rah speech is great.

You left out the part about drafting a crap QB which results in the FO being fired and the franchise being set back 3 years.

I don't think he will be crap. I think he's a smart, hardworking kid who will make us proud. The anti-Losman. He will be a WinMan.!

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You say that because they have a professional graphics package ready that they knew who they wanted. I don't think there's likely any connection at all. They weren't going to pull some graphics guy aside and say, "Here are our picks, don't tell your friends, make up a video package." Not a chance. They were keeping things very very close to their vest. Instead the NFL most likely had videos packages for all these guys which they released to the teams. Or maybe the Bills did it themselves, telling the same video guy something like, "Here's a list of the top 100 guys. Make up packages for all of them. They wouldn't bring someone into the loop for something as unimportant as having a video package necessary.

I think it was closer than that. Maybe 50 guys the Bills had eyes on. Because not all these guys were listed in the top 100.

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Peddling hope without substance is what the Bills have been doing for more than a decade.  I see the 2018 draft as underscoring how similar the current regime really is to previous ones.

You can agree or disagree with the path (choices) that the new OBD is doing.

You can agree or disagree whether or not the new OBD will succeed.

But you have to agree that for once in the past couple of decades everyone in OBD is working toward a goal.

I personally don't agree with all the choices and can not know if it will succeed but I like HOW they are doing it.

All their oars are in the water and rowing in the same direction.  I look forward to where it takes all of us.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:22 PM, ColoradoBills said:

BillsRdue, you should send this post to Kim Pegula and ask to write for Buffalobills.com.

I would visit the site a lot more reading your stuff other than Chris Brown.

You described the "Process" better than anyone!

Does anyone have info or email address to send to Kim or BB.com? Do they even take unsolicited articles?

great post.  It is not that our past front office has been bad or anything, as there are only 32 GM positions in the world of NFL.  What makes these guys a little different is their attention to details; small things that make a big difference in perception and attitude.  small things that bring success and that in turn breeds success.   And you then get 

some luck to go with it!!!   

So, like many of you post the draft, I try to understand why the Bills did what they did with each pick.

For example

Pick 1 - I was waiting for the trade-up and when I first heard it was 2 second rounders - I thought OK that is not so bad we still have #22. Then I saw the Cards just give up a 3rd and a 5th and I was hopping mad. We now know that there was likely a bidding war at #7 - so I dont feel so bad anymore. I was expecting the pick to be Rosen - but it seems the league-wide consensus was that Allen was the better pick - and I have begun liking the pick.

Pick 2 - When I heard we gave up #65, I felt it was a bit much - but knew it was going to be Tremaine Edmunds and the more I have read up on him (including how the Chargers were gonna take him at 17), the more happy I am with the trade and the pick.

Pick 3 - I thought Callaway (WR) was going to be the pick (with Hurst the dark horse) but was over the moon with the Phillips pick and I continue to be. No need to rationalize anything. But I started getting antsy about WR / OL here.

Pick 4 - Here is where I was really puzzled - CB Really? Dont we need OL / WR help? Equanimeous Brown / J'Mon Moore / Tyrell Crosby / Wyatt Teller still out there. Of course it did not help that I really liked Parry Nickerson - the CB out of Tulane way better than Taron Johnson - but I thought OK that is a position we need depth in and I trust McD's CB evaluation after last year and I say that EJ Gaines was teh closest comparison for Taron Johnson - so I rationalized it was not a bad pick.

Pick 5 - This was a head scratcher, for sure. Of course Crosby just got picked at 153 (which made me mad) - so I am expecting St. Brown / Teller and we go for another DB in Siran Neal - However great he is - dont we need someone on offense? - this remains a head scratcher even now - cant rationalize it. Real WTF moment.

Pick 6 - Expecting Teller or more likely St. Brown (internet searches for why the hell is he still falling - laughed at twitter conjectures that he took a dump on an NFL executive's table - the guy did so well catching Kizer's balls in 2016 (did I just type that - lol) - he seemed a natural fit with another big armed QB in Allen. Got Teller - Happy with the pick.

Pick 7 - Alternately yelling WR and St. Brown (still cant say his first name) at the TV and we pick Ray-Ray Mcloud - average height, no production, maybe a returner. Completely stunned! Why not Brown? I had seen mock's that had a round 2-3 grade on the guy and I had seen him play Syracuse and Texas in 2016 and to see him still undrafted in the 6th when we have a major need - that is when I lost it - I still cant figure out why we would want a Day 3 returner over a genuine Day 2 type WR. Very Upset  especially when GB took him in the early 200s.

Pick 8 - Proehl pick, I am like meh - and then I read how McBeane have known the kid since a child - but I am still very underwhelmed by the last 5 picks - in my mind one was a great pick (Teller), one I rationalized ex-post (Johnson) - but am still puzzled by the Neal and Mcloud picks.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

Your rationalization is just like every other fan.  If they don't pick the guys you like, they must have picked the wrong guys.  There were 9 WR's and 6 TE's on the roster before the draft even happened.  For you to say that they need more options based on last year is assuming that our QB's will be just as inept as Tyrod in the passing game.  I'm not buying it.  As far as late round picks, I could care less whether they draft your guy or the guys they actually drafted.  There's no fundamental difference to me.

2 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Your rationalization is just like every other fan.  If they don't pick the guys you like, they must have picked the wrong guys.  There were 9 WR's and 6 TE's on the roster before the draft even happened.  For you to say that they need more options based on last year is assuming that our QB's will be just as inept as Tyrod in the passing game.  I'm not buying it.  As far as late round picks, I could care less whether they draft your guy or the guys they actually drafted.  There's no fundamental difference to me.

How much less could you care?  And does this mean you care quite a lot?

On 4/29/2018 at 9:57 PM, Green Lightning said:

It will matter for McBeane as they are legends if Allen booms and out if he busts.

Not sure about the bust part actually.  If they keep getting players and putting together seasons -there is no reason to think they may not get another shot if he busts.

They are showing what we all know FOs of the past needed to do.  Identify and get your players.  If love everything else he does, but he misses on his first and only QB pick and you fire him in 3 years - why would anyone want to pick a QB.  

It does impact his legacy and how he is viewed, but if in 2or 3years they think Allen is a bust - They may get a second shot.  The issue is can they recognize progress versus a failure because that is where Whaley failed.  He had his EJ moment and never tried again -even when there were shots to be had.  They then fell back into the pick up a castoff and let’s get through this.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, Dr. K said:

I am on record as being unhappy the way many Bills fans have turned "the Process" into holy words that excuse all decisions, but you make as good a case as can be made for this regime.

And despite my lack of confidence in the choice of Allen, Beane & Co. were right to pull the trigger and take a shot at drafting a possible franchise QB. If they picked the wrong guy, it was still the right thing to do, and I expect they will suck it up and look for an alternative if that becomes evident.  We just have to see how it plays out. 

What do you think of the Pats mantra "Do your job?"

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not sure about the bust part actually.  If they keep getting players and putting together seasons -there is no reason to think they may not get another shot if he busts.

They are showing what we all know FOs of the past needed to do.  Identify and get your players.  If love everything else he does, but he misses on his first and only QB pick and you fire him in 3 years - why would anyone want to pick a QB.  

It does impact his legacy and how he is viewed, but if in 2or 3years they think Allen is a bust - They may get a second shot.  The issue is can they recognize progress versus a failure because that is where Whaley failed.  He had his EJ moment and never tried again -even when there were shots to be had.  They then fell back into the pick up a castoff and let’s get through this.

Not to mention Whaley couldnt seem to accept the fact thst EJ was not a good QB.  Keep pushing for him to start.  

40 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Let's hope I never gets to that. But I tend to agree with you. If they keep doing other things right they may be be able to absorb a setback.  My fondest hope is that the kid succeeds and we succeed. But you nailed it when it came to Whaley. He doubled down when he should have cut bait.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, Fadingpain said:

You left out the part about drafting a crap QB which results in the FO being fired and the franchise being set back 3 years.

Or, maybe not...

On 4/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, Fadingpain said:

What are this week's winning Lotto numbers?  I mean, I figure if you can see into the future and know for certain the QB will be crap and FO will be gone in three years, surely you can tell me the winning Lotto numbers!

...wait...

You're not one of those people that mistake personal opinions and predictions with facts, are you?

...seriously getting sick of this...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What do you think of the Pats mantra "Do your job?"

We should all do our jobs. Who's going to argue with that? Nobody's going to say they aren't doing their job. But what that means is subject to interpretation, as all such slogans are. 

Edited by Dr. K