Beane not indicating Josh Allen will definitely redshirt

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Beane doesn't get to annoit a player's status.  That is up to the HC.

Well, lucky for my point, both were weird about it last year so any comments from either this year are kind of taken with grain of salt until you see guys on the field 

8 minutes ago, DonInBuffalo said:

If Allen starts week 1 he'll make history.  I saw a graphic, probably during draft TV coverage:

In the modern era, no team that drafted a QB in round 1, and made the playoffs the previous season has ever started that QB in week 1.

Wow - that’s a great stat

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Catch 22. If his supporting cast is bad, Allen isn't going to look good. He'll look like he did at Wyoming, which is why so many people hate him getting picked in the first place.

The best players should play. You will never convince me otherwise.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And people wonder why players bust.

Let’s sit Shady this year while we are at until we make sure we have good guys blocking in front of him. 

Give me a break with this nonsense

Edited by Bangarang

I'm of the opinion that no matter what he needs to sit this year.  Let AJ start and bring in a vet if he gets hurt.  Josh needs the time to continue his footwork and make it consistent.  Make him wait which will make him work even harder to get that start next year.

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The best players should play. You will never convince me otherwise.

I think it depends on the player.  Some players you can just throw in and let them learn from their mistakes.  Other types are thrown in too early and make mistakes and lose their confidence.  Who knows what Allen is but I think there is no harm in waiting a season for him to start.

1 hour ago, muppy said:

well now....by this narrative Mr Allen would be brought in by game 6-7....which infers to me failure of likely AJ McCarron/Nathan Peterman...whomever is starter, so Josh Allen somehow is offered the starting job......wouldn't it matter WHY the other QBs failed and would they be throwing him to the wolves...I doubt highly Mr Allen will be a starter in 2018  I don't care how many losses the other 2 rack up tbh... if the line doesn't hold up do not I repeat DO NOT put him in there to be killed...just sayin.....2019 will be the optimal year in my opinion. .... 

I'm only saying that if he's clearly playing better in camp and preseason than the other two quarterbacks, you can't keep him on the bench, even if you would like to do so in an ideal world. Like coach McDermott said: "It wouldn't be fair to the other 52 guys".

All of that being said, the best possible scenario, in my opinion, would be McCarron or Peterman playing so well and winning enough games that Allen can't even get onto the field. That would be fantastic. But what if the Bills get off to a 2-5 start and the season looks lost? Wouldn't you rather get Allen live game reps than plod along to 4-12 behind AJ or Nate? 

The other thing that I always think: Aside from Aaron Rodgers, who was the last quarterback who sat a full season and went on to be good? I can't think of anybody. Sometimes, guys don't learn from the bench as well as they learn from live bullets flying.

I believe this would be different IF they had a seasoned vet like Bradford ( I know, injury prone) or even McCown , who they were interested in signing as well. McCarron is such an unknown, they simply can't hand him the job. It wouldn't be surprising if McCarron is more polished, and I'd expect him to be the choice early on. Mid season or so, that could change. 

Saying "somehow" is the equivalent of "against all odds". You still want Allen to have the mindset that he has a shot to win the starting job for motivational reasons. It's motivation for all 3 QBs. 

It's the Bills culture now. Earn your right it's there if you take it. None of you will have it handed to you and you always will have competition. 

I could say to you that you might look smart if you "somehow" make a good post. How does that make you feel? 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm only saying that if he's clearly playing better in camp and preseason than the other two quarterbacks, you can't keep him on the bench, even if you would like to do so in an ideal world. Like coach McDermott said: "It wouldn't be fair to the other 52 guys".

All of that being said, the best possible scenario, in my opinion, would be McCarron or Peterman playing so well and winning enough games that Allen can't even get onto the field. That would be fantastic. But what if the Bills get off to a 2-5 start and the season looks lost? Wouldn't you rather get Allen live game reps than plod along to 4-12 behind AJ or Nate? 

The other thing that I always think: Aside from Aaron Rodgers, who was the last quarterback who sat a full season and went on to be good? I can't think of anybody. Sometimes, guys don't learn from the bench as well as they learn from live bullets flying.

I think he was the last one. If Mahomes succeeds, he will be the next. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Catch 22. If his supporting cast is bad, Allen isn't going to look good. He'll look like he did at Wyoming, which is why so many people hate him getting picked in the first place.

And if he doesn't look good, he won't win the starting job. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I think the key word there is "somehow." Beane thinks it's unlikely.

I think it's just staying true to "The Process".  Every position on this team needs to be open to competition and may the best man win.  QB should be no different.  Having said that, I hope AJ wins the competition and Allen has some time to sit and develop before he starts.  I wouldn't mind if he sits the entire season...

17 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

I think it depends on the player.  Some players you can just throw in and let them learn from their mistakes.  Other types are thrown in too early and make mistakes and lose their confidence.  Who knows what Allen is but I think there is no harm in waiting a season for him to start.

If he’s the best QB then I want him to play. If he loses his confidence so quickly then that’s not someone I’d want to be our starter very long

Edited by Bangarang

21 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Let’s sit Shady this year while we are at until we make sure we have good guys blocking in front of him. 

Hardest position to play and learn, and you want to just throw him in and see if he swims. Ding! Hot pockets!

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Shady an experienced veteran vs a rookie QB from small school Wyoming in not a great analogy .. trust me I'd be thrilled if Allen completely beats out his 'Bridge" QB to become a starter in 2018 and subsequently succeeds.,...If he shows readiness and beats out the competition so be it.....could it be a disaster as what occurred with Nathan Peterman just last year throwing him in unprepared and not ready and what was an inferior offensive line Last year.....  And maybe that game  has given me doubts about throwing a rookie into soon.... just a thought....

Edited by muppy

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hardest position to play and learn, and you want to just throw him in and see if he swims. Ding! Hot pockets!

Sitting the best player at the most important position should go over with the rest of the team who are there to win. Sorry team, we don’t think you’re good enough to play with Josh Allen. Sorry fans, we won’t be as good as we can be because people are scared our QB will make mistakes and cry. 

What if the experience starting his rookie year actually helps his development? No that cant possibly happen. 

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

Shady an experienced veteran vs a rookie QB from small school Wyoming in not a great analogy .. trust me I'd be thrilled if Allen completely beats out his 'Bridge" QB to become a starter in 2018 and subsequently succeeds.,...If he shows readiness and beats out the competition so be it.....could it be a disaster as what occurred with Nathan Peterman just last year throwing him in unprepared and not ready...  And maybe that game  has given me doubts about throwing a rookie into soon.... just a thought....

If he’s clearly the best QB in camp and pre-season then he should start week 1. Saying he should sit until we get better weapons around him is something I don’t agree with. The best players should play and I’ll keep repeating that.

22 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Saying "somehow" is the equivalent of "against all odds". You still want Allen to have the mindset that he has a shot to win the starting job for motivational reasons. It's motivation for all 3 QBs. 

It's the Bills culture now. Earn your right it's there if you take it. None of you will have it handed to you and you always will have competition. 

I could say to you that you might look smart if you "somehow" make a good post. How does that make you feel? 

Beane doesn't want to put any pressure on the kid.  That's what that is.