And now the plan is a lot clearer...

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job.  The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

The plan for the future is rapidly shaping up as follows:

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed.  The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

...at least, that appears to be the plan.  Time will tell if it works.  I'm just excited we have a plan, rather then throwing darts at a dart board hoping something sticks.  What's more impressive is how this plan seems to be keeping us at least competitive even when rebuilding from rubbish.  We're going to be a better team this season then people expect.  After all these years it is wonderfully refreshing watching a front office with an actual plan, successful or not.

• Like (+1) 23
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job.  The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

The plan for the future is rapidly shaping up as follows:

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed.  The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

...at least, that appears to be the plan.  Time will tell if it works.  I'm just excited we have a plan, rather then throwing darts at a dart board hoping something sticks.  What's more impressive is how this plan seems to be keeping us at least competitive even when rebuilding from rubbish.  We're going to be a better team this season then people expect.  After all these years it is wonderfully refreshing watching a front office with an actual plan, successful or not.

They just keep doing what they've been doing...........I don't think it's any clearer.........but I do wonder how they are going to field anything resembling a competent offense this year with the personnel they have on that side of the ball..........if Daboll gets them even back where they were last year he might be in line for a HC job.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

I think Buffalo did a hit job on Allen, I think they leaked Allen's racially insensitive tweets the day before the draft because they wanted him bad, he would have not fallen to 7 otherwise.

The Edmunds and Phillips selections were just way too obvious though, I think just about anybody could have made those selections. I don't think you can plan for a top 7 LB to fall down to 16 or a mid 2nd round DT to fall to us all the way at the bottom of the 3rd, you don't plan that. We just got extremely lucky and we have a GM that is very smart and capitalizes on opportunities.

Still, we got BPA at need areas with our first three picks, that is not from planning, that's luck.

Get a QB and build up the middle of the defense...

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think Buffalo did a hit job on Allen, I think they leaked Allen's racially insensitive tweets the day before the draft because they wanted him bad, he would have not fallen to 7 otherwise.

The Edmunds and Phillips selections were just way too obvious though, I think just about anybody could have made those selections. I don't think you can plan for a top 7 LB to fall down to 16 or a mid 2nd round DT to fall to us all the way at the bottom of the 3rd, you don't plan that. We just got extremely lucky and we have a GM that is very smart and capitalizes on opportunities.

Still, we got BPA at need areas with our first three picks, that is not from planning, that's luck.

There is no possible way that Allen was BPA at pick 7 other than the fact he is a QB. If we are talking BPA in terms of football players Roquan Smith is a much better player than Allen is. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a much better player than Allen is...and so were several others at least.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Perhaps going to the Browns didn't appeal to Allen and he leaked them himself

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Get a QB and build up the middle of the defense...

There is no possible way that Allen was BPA at pick 7 other than the fact he is a QB. If we are talking BPA in terms of football players Roquan Smith is a much better player than Allen is. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a much better player than Allen is...and so were several others at least.

Hugely disagree. Most mocks I read leading up to the draft had Allen #1 to the Browns. I'll take Allen over Roquan and Minkah every time.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

The Phillips pick was so obvious that 95 other teams passed on him before we took him. As far as you saying the Bills are lucky, well whats that saying? Good teams create their own luck? One could say that thats what McBeane have been doing

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Edna-Mode-Luck-favors-the-prepared.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, brianthomas said:

The Phillips pick was so obvious that 95 other teams passed on him before we took him. As far as you saying the Bills are lucky, well whats that saying? Good teams create their own luck? One could say that thats what McBeane have been doing

Could be. To me the Allen and Phillips pick I knew right away, it was at least obvious to me. 

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Could be. To me the Allen and Phillips pick I knew right away, it was at least obvious to me. 

Well at the time the Phillips pick made a lot of sense. Best player available at a position of need. Like other posters have mentioned, if this were the Bills of the past, they would've picked a player slated to go in the 6th round or something.  It's refreshing seeing their plan come into shape. Yes you can say we were lucky he fell to us, but we also were patient. They didnt panic by trading more draft capital to move up. They stayed where they were & waited, & were rewarded by him falling to us.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I prefer to think that they respectfully deferred to McDermott's alpha-ness so as not to anger him. 

They did their homework, followed their process, and let the draft come to them. I think it is correct to a point though. Get the defense strong now, so that next off-season with the big money, they can go build an offense in free agency for Allen. McCarron will basically have what Tyrod did last year. 

15 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Hugely disagree. Most mocks I read leading up to the draft had Allen #1 to the Browns. I'll take Allen over Roquan and Minkah every time.

Thats because you are wanting Allen to project out to what you hope he will be and not actually comparing actual football ability RIGHT NOW. Smith and Fitzpatrick are pretty much guaranteed pro bowlers year in and year out. Allen? He might be the next EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Thats because you are wanting Allen to project out to what you hope he will be and not actually comparing actual football ability RIGHT NOW. Smith and Fitzpatrick are pretty much guaranteed pro bowlers year in and year out. Allen? He might be the next EJ Manuel.

You still gotta try to find them