And now the plan is a lot clearer...

6 hours ago, Figster said:

A J McCarron is an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor in my humble opinion so I agree with you.

Granted McCarron still has to go out and prove me right... 

And in line with that.....

Defense Wins Championships

Keep the opponents under 17 and let the offense run bolstered by a (real) passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Our defense is going to be very good. The best secondary in football. Star and Kyle pushing the pocket. Piano Shoe Preston Brown gone and replaced with a Sam Cowart 2.0, 19 year old monster, that can run everywhere. Milano who was our best LB last year getting another year in this defense. Hughes hopefully seeing less attention because of pathetic DT play. Maybe even Shaq turns into a player. Great Defense and Shady all day. We might be okay.

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

It's only April.  Some Vets will shake loose before camp starts; a couple players already on the team will improve.    They'll be fine.

Or they won't.

Just an observation.......like last year when I accurately predicted the Jauronian "play not to lose" approach when the majority were tank-talking..........or when I accurately predicted that their post-Sammy WR situation would cripple their offensive production when others were hyping other-team-trash like Jordan Matthews.     

This regime doesn't always foresee and address issues...........they have shown they will accept weaknesses and try to "win around" them.

I don't put it past them to play Jauron Ball again and have another middling 7-9 win season but on paper this is the worst looking offense in the league.    The combination of things that has to go perfectly.......like keeping gimpy top targets Benjamin and Clay healthy for 16 games......... is unrealistically high.   

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our defense is going to be very good. The best secondary in football. Star and Kyle pushing the pocket. Piano Shoe Preston Brown gone and replaced with a Sam Cowart 2.0, 19 year old monster, that can run everywhere. Milano who was our best LB last year getting another year in this defense. Hughes hopefully seeing less attention because of pathetic DT play. Maybe even Shaq turns into a player. Great Defense and Shady all day. We might be okay.

The defense is going to go as the offense goes.

If the offense can shorten games and score enough to keep morale up then the defense might be able to play high motor for most of the season and be effective

That's how they overachieved defensively out of the gate last year..........but if they get discouraged like they did in that 3 game stretch where they were the worst Bills defense ever then they could get smacked around.     They are by no means one of the more talented or deep defenses in the NFL wrt talent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

The offense was pretty terrible last year, so I'm not quite understanding your meaning.

We still have McCoy. He has basically been the only bright spot on offense. I'm assuming it will be more of the same with him and the occasional catch from Clay and the receivers.

The offense played Jauron Ball to shorten games fairly well...........the amount of long drives by a QB who was supposedly incapable of them was the most impressive aspect.

Will probably never see a Bills offense ever have multiple drives of 18 plays in a season again.   

Build that d line up, stop the run and get after the qb and get off the field.  I am worried about the offense a bit as we rely so much on shady. If ivory is good we will be ok. Benjamin motivated for a big contract and zay getting over the yips. 

You can only do so much in one off-season.  Beane's priority is long term, but he's trying to do what he can to win now.  Last year's plan got us to 9-7 and the playoffs and he's doubling down.  Beef up the defense, swap in a bridge QB who isn't afraid to take some chances, and lean on the D heavily.  Before the draft I predicted 9-7, nabbing a Wild Card week 17.  I'm standing by that.  Like last season our D can win us a number of games.  The D will struggle now and then, all units do, and it's unlikely our O will be able to bail them out when they do.  With the pressure more on the D then the O, Allen can sit and learn.  Next off-season when we free up a ton of cap room, the Bills will completely overhaul the O through free agency and the draft, building it around Allen.  And that's when they become dangerous.

2018 is going to look a lot like 2017.  But remember, 2017 was a playoff year.  If we can play as well or better on D and get even marginally better on O, there is no reason this team can't return to the playoffs, even if they're not yet an elite team.

12 hours ago, The Red King said:

The plan for the future is rapidly shaping up as follows:

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

they can't help but be better. i can't wait to watch  a.j. get us into a top 10( at least ) offense and

i can't wait to see a top5 defense ...no.2 in sacks, no.1 in turnovers.

i can't wait to see phillips and kyle side by side in the rotation!

i can't wait to edmunds decap gronk!

i can't wait for huges and trent frankenstein to terrorize qbs.

i can't wait to see. a.j. avg. 280 at least per game.

i can't wait to host a playoff game!

Edited by billsredneck1

4 hours ago, Mark92 said:

And there is no way Mayfield is the best player in the draft!   Give me a break with this line of thinking.   Teams draft for needs and best fit at the top of the board.   #7 best player of course wasn't Allen but he was the best player that buffalo needed still on the board.   

yeah but what about the fact that you don't actually know?

12 hours ago, The Red King said:

Three picks into the draft and I think Beane's plan for the Bills is coming into focus.  It's obviously a multi-year project, but talk of this upcoming season being a sacrifice or a wash is about as accurate as last season being a tank job.  The off-season and draft have helped reshape the roster, and the culture.  Players who were seen as problematic or lazy are being shipped off and replaced with solid, hard workers.  We passed on Rosen because he lacks the character that Buffalo is after.  Last season the Bills overachieved with a "Us vs. the World" mentality, with each player being a cog in the machine.  Beane and McD are looking for players with a matching mindset.  Rosen whined about not being picked in the top #3, Phillips makes it sound like he's unworthy to breath the same air as a player like Williams.  Character.

The plan for the future is rapidly shaping up as follows:

2018 - Same plan as 2017.  The defense has been beefed up with FA pickups and draft picks.  The idea being, defense keeps them in the game, offense scrapes out a win.  AJ will lead the offense while Allen takes the time to learn and develop.  We can only hope the offense and defense are better then last year's.  I think they're going to surprise people and contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they're going to be an elite team quite yet.

2019 - Endgame.  With the defense far more secure, a vast amount of freed up FA money and Josh Allen ready to take the reigns...the Bills focus on offense, buying and drafting the tools to put around Allen so he can succeed.  The defense will still be the Mean Machine from 2018, but the offense will be shaped for Allen.  The team shifts from relying on that defense and hoping the offense can at least put up enough to win...and instead looks like a proper elite team which finally looks every bit as dangerous on the offensive side as it does on the defense.

...at least, that appears to be the plan.  Time will tell if it works.  I'm just excited we have a plan, rather then throwing darts at a dart board hoping something sticks.  What's more impressive is how this plan seems to be keeping us at least competitive even when rebuilding from rubbish.  We're going to be a better team this season then people expect.  After all these years it is wonderfully refreshing watching a front office with an actual plan, successful or not.

Well, that's what the Bills want you to believe so you'll continue to fill the stadium, buy the merchandise, pressure state and local officials to give more concessions on any stadium issues, etc.   The reality is that the "new" plan is essentially just the "old" plan in a shiny new wrapper with a different name.   It's simply a reprise of 2013.

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

Whose said I was optimistic?  The plan for 2018 is to make the defense into a meat grinder that keeps us in the game while hoping our offense can score enough to win.  At this point I'm expecting a mediocre to good offense.  Remember, just 10 pts. would have gotten us a win vs. the Panthers and OT vs. the Jags.  I think our D is better then last year and think our current O, warts and all, still can put up at least 10 on anyone.

there will not be one game under 10 pts. next year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, brianthomas said:

The Phillips pick was so obvious that 95 other teams passed on him before we took him. As far as you saying the Bills are lucky, well whats that saying? Good teams create their own luck? One could say that thats what McBeane have been doing

95 teams? wow, are they all within the 57 states?

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

We are one of the top regression candidates in the league.

I expect the 2018 results to be worse than 2017, but that isn't necessarily a problem.

The OP's comments about Rosen and character are bunk.

i don't get the pessimism about our offense!....so...we lost a good guard who was on his last year anyway and an average center...who was no spring chicken.

dawkins will be a sophomore. groy is better than wood at center, not as good a guard as richie, but imo should be above average. miller back at rt guard and newhouse is better than mills. they are together day one and there shouldn't be a musical line to figure who goes there. oline will be fine and it will help having a qb who will get rid of the ball faster.

zay will greatly improve. kb should be 100%, o'leary and clay will be bread and butter. no matter the rating of the corp., they will be way more productive than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Next year we grab our top WR/RB in the first 3-4 rounds. 

And the year after that it will be a new HC and maybe a new GM, and the Bills will return to Square One once again.

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

Whose said I was optimistic?  The plan for 2018 is to make the defense into a meat grinder that keeps us in the game while hoping our offense can score enough to win.  At this point I'm expecting a mediocre to good offense.  Remember, just 10 pts. would have gotten us a win vs. the Panthers and OT vs. the Jags.  I think our D is better then last year and think our current O, warts and all, still can put up at least 10 on anyone.

The Bills used 5 picks in the first three rounds and got 1 very nice LB, but not the best LB on the board.  They left him (Roquan Smith) there for the Bears to take and instead gambled on a project QB that they traded up to get.  How does this translate into a "plan" to build "the defense into a meat grinder"?

10 hours ago, Figster said:

A J McCarron is an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor in my humble opinion so I agree with you.

Granted McCarron still has to go out and prove me right... 

IOW McCarron is an upgrade over Taylor because he's not Taylor ... just like Kolb was an upgrade over Fitzpatrick because he wasn't Fitzpatrick.

25 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

they can't help but be better. i can't wait to watch  a.j. get us into a top 10( at least ) offense and

i can't wait to see a top5 defense ...no.2 in sacks, no.1 in turnovers.

i can't wait to see phillips and kyle side by side in the rotation!

i can't wait to edmunds decap gronk!

i can't wait for huges and trent frankenstein to terrorize qbs.

i can't wait to see. a.j. avg. 280 at least per game.

i can't wait to host a playoff game!

ROTFLMAO.   Stoking your unbridled optimism is exactly what the Bills' plan is for 2018 ... and 2019 ... and 2020 ... and evermore...

• Like (+1) 1

There is a plan.  Some of you don't like it, or the moves made for it, but it's there.  We got our franchise QB, like him or not.  I was careful to say 'if it works'.  I don't have a crystal ball, I don't know the outcome (as some on this board somehow insist they do), but I know there is a plan, I'm watching it unfold, and that is something we've been lacking for awhile.

Just now, The Red King said:

There is a plan.  Some of you don't like it, or the moves made for it, but it's there.  We got our franchise QB, like him or not.  I was careful to say 'if it works'.  I don't have a crystal ball, I don't know the outcome (as some on this board somehow insist they do), but I know there is a plan, I'm watching it unfold, and that is something we've been lacking for awhile.

Heard. If it works is key,  but there is a plan. That plan is something much greater than " let's be mediocre at QB and hope our D can keep it close enough to finish 8-8". Huge difference from the last decade and a half or more. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

yeah but what about the fact that you don't actually know?

You're right I don't know.  But I do know that Baker Mayfield was not and is not the BEST player in this draft!  But the browns needed a QB and he was at the top of their QB list.  So yes, he was probably on top of their board but it doesn't make him the best player.  Just the best fit.  Same goes for Allen at #7.  I love the kid but he is not one of the best 7 players, hell none of the QBs were.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Today's crucial picks added depth to the secondary, which was much needed. Add a veteran CB and LB, and it's a top 10 D.

the team will go as far as AJ can take them in 2018.

2 hours ago, Mark92 said:

You're right I don't know.  But I do know that Baker Mayfield was not and is not the BEST player in this draft!  But the browns needed a QB and he was at the top of their QB list.  So yes, he was probably on top of their board but it doesn't make him the best player.  Just the best fit.  Same goes for Allen at #7.  I love the kid but he is not one of the best 7 players, hell none of the QBs were.  

it's probably not worth arguing about, but my point is you don't know that. Mayfield just may be the best player in the draft. It all remains to be seen.

• Like (+1) 1