Why didn't NE make a move for a QB in Rd.1???

#34fan

It made zero sense for the Pats to trade away their first round picks for a QB, or even take a 1st round QB period. Why would they trade away multiple picks just to sit a QB behind Brady for an unspecified number of years and waste his rookie contract? 

Instead, they went with 2 good players on offense to surround Brady with in his final years and try to rack up as many championships as they can before he's done. 

Brady is going to be around for a few more years at least I bet. He said he wants to play 5 more seasons. I believe him. I see 3 minimum. He just had one of his best statistical seasons this past year. He's not showing any signs of slowing down. 

Why would the Pats feel desperate to trade up for a QB right now? 

They still have the the luxury of taking a mid round guy and developing him. This is supposed to be a deep QB draft. My guess is they take a guy in round 3-5. There are still a bunch of interesting QBs on the board - Rudolph, lauletta, White, Falk etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The only team that was worried about NE was tennessee, the jumped NE 2x and took evans and landey 2 players the pats where intrested in. Once landey went off the board they turned the jimmy g 2nd rd in to 2 4ths and a 2019 2nd rounder. 

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Maybe because none of them were worth it.

Oh sure... They worked a few of them out... Took Meetings... There were some nibbles, but ultimately no bite...

You'd think with a 41-year old under center, they'd be interested in a youthful understudy.. Someone to pass the torch to... Not this time...

NE stayed the hell away from the top five, and let everyone else splurge...  Some won't see any special meaning in it, but I think it's because they knew this crop was crap.

Thoughts?

I was surprised they didn’t get a QB in round 1 too.  I will be shocked if they leave the draft without a QB at all!

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

Oh sure... They worked a few of them out... Took Meetings... There were some nibbles, but ultimately no bite...

You'd think with a 41-year old under center, they'd be interested in a youthful understudy.. Someone to pass the torch to... Not this time...

NE stayed the hell away from the top five, and let everyone else splurge...  Some won't see any special meaning in it, but I think it's because they knew this crop was crap.

Thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, Belichick makes a lot of poor personnel decisions. 

Jimmy G., Chandler Jones benching Butler to name a few recent ones.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think it was a huge smoke screen to make the AFCE East members sweat and push additional draft picks to ensure they go their QBs. Smart Hoodie!!!  He is going after  Rudolph or the Latuetta guy

I Agree with the smokescreen part, but it's more than that... NE does their homework on another level. -Especially when it comes to QB's.

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

Thoughts?

TB is playing until 50 ;)

Tommy won't have it. They won't take a QB any higher than the middle rounds until he retires. He forced their hand with Garrapolo and the drunkard Kraft caved in. Even Montana got traded, but Tommy boy is above it. Any QB taken above round 3 would give the notion they might actually play at some point. So they'll wait until he tells them he's retiring. 

How long will Brady continue playing?  Who knows.  I do know that we should continue building a defense that makes his final game be against us this season.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Peace Frog

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

How long will Brady continue playing?  Who knows.  I do know that we should continue building a defense that makes his final game be against us this season.  

giphy.gif

Which is exactly what the Raiders did. -Not us tho...

I thought NE had a masterful draft... Every single kid was on my Radar!!!  Berrios... Izzo...  Michel... 3 DAY ONE starters in the later rounds! :angry:  :censored: :angry::censored::death::death::death:

4 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Which is exactly what the Raiders did. -Not us tho...

I thought NE had a masterful draft... Every single kid was on my Radar!!!  Berrios... Izzo...  Michel... 3 DAY ONE starters in the later rounds! :angry:  :censored: :angry::censored::death::death::death:

Berrios and izzo are day 1 starters?

On 4/28/2018 at 6:48 AM, BillsFan4 said:

It made zero sense for the Pats to trade away their first round picks for a QB, or even take a 1st round QB period. Why would they trade away multiple picks just to sit a QB behind Brady for an unspecified number of years and waste his rookie contract? 

Instead, they went with 2 good players on offense to surround Brady with in his final years and try to rack up as many championships as they can before he's done. 

Brady is going to be around for a few more years at least I bet. He said he wants to play 5 more seasons. I believe him. I see 3 minimum. He just had one of his best statistical seasons this past year. He's not showing any signs of slowing down. 

Why would the Pats feel desperate to trade up for a QB right now? 

They still have the the luxury of taking a mid round guy and developing him. This is supposed to be a deep QB draft. My guess is they take a guy in round 3-5. There are still a bunch of interesting QBs on the board - Rudolph, lauletta, White, Falk etc. 

Their master stroke would have been to package all their drafts and go after Barkley.   That would have probably meant another few super bowls with Brady