None of the 5 QB's taken in the 1st round will start this year.

D521646

8 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Mayfield by week 4 

Darnold by week 10 

Rosen as soon as Bradford gets hurt 

Allen is the wildcard 

I think Darnold will start a lot earlier. And, that Jackson may start, if the Ravens are out of the Playoff hunt. Otherwise, I agree with this assessment. 

16 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Seriously, does anyone believe that any of these guys, barring injury will win the day one starting job this year?  I sure as hell don't.

Which begs the question:  Why were 5 QB's taken in the first round.. LOL

Tim-

Social Media has created a path to destruction for teams. Money is made by listening to fans bases, pays the bills. Not saying all situations fit that bill but when has QB position become more important than the WHOLE TEAM. In Bills situation they risked a future franchise QB for 3 other players that probably could have helped now. I still believe if the Bills drafted Daniels, Chark and Dawson today we would be better off. If Bills had picked Edmunds 12 and made Tampa trade and added Esch too, Bills would be better off this year. Bills waited to 12 maybe Allen would have fallen could have taken him still did Tampa trade and still added 3 more players. This is not about Allen, the Bills now should open competition for QB starter and may the best man win. If Allen starts this year that helps Buffalo's future, top 10 picks usually don't sit!

Edited by USABuffaloFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s entitely possible Allen beats out McCarron and Peterman, they aren’t exactly heavy compition.

I would be disappointed if he could not.  Push come to shove if Allen doesn't throw up on himself he beats them out.

NO WAY Allen starts the season.....that would be a football miracle.  He will ride the pine for a few games and learn......not saying AJ is football Jesus but he certainly has some knowledge to pass on and he as one person said - "ain't giving that job up without a fight"

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s entitely possible Allen beats out McCarron and Peterman, they aren’t exactly heavy compition.

Lets hope now, we lost 3 other players doing what we did for Allen, he needs to hit a Gland Slam here.

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

NO WAY Allen starts the season.....that would be a football miracle.  He will ride the pine for a few games and learn......not saying AJ is football Jesus but he certainly has some knowledge to pass on and he as one person said - "ain't giving that job up without a fight"

Lots of people said the same thing about Wentz his rookie year. Not calling Allen Wentz (though some have made the comparison)...but it's not impossible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Top 10 talent should be good enough to start. Saying that means there might be setback but why do you draft a top 10 QB if he isn't going to be given the opportunity to win the job. If he doesn't win it you have to say moving up to get him was a mistake, Allen could still be good down the line but you lost out adding good players to help you this year. I am sure McDermont would not be happy with that.

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Lots of people said the same thing about Wentz his rookie year. Not calling Allen Wentz (though some have made the comparison)...but it's not impossible.

This needs to happen now or we will miss pick 53, 56 and 65 this year.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They will all compete in camp. Rosen is the most likely to start imo, Darnold #2.  

Mayfield will win win the job in camp and lose the job under live fire 

Arizona needs Rosen to start.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I can see Allen and Rosen both being starters week 1.

Rosen, yes - especially as Bradford could get hurt in preseason again.

Allen - I respect your football chops so could you say a little more about why you see that?  It's been said that if you want a rookie to start, setting up a competition between a rookie and a veteran in training camp is not the way to go because the veteran will always win it, based on superior knowledge of what he sees on D and where to go with the ball.

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Top 10 talent should be good enough to start. Saying that means there might be setback but why do you draft a top 10 QB if he isn't going to be given the opportunity to win the job. If he doesn't win it you have to say moving up to get him was a mistake, Allen could still be good down the line but you lost out adding good players to help you this year. I am sure McDermont would not be happy with that.

Who said Allen won't have the opportunity ? ( I know what Hue Jackson said about Taylor)  I agree with Jordan Palmer when he said he firmly believes ALL rookie QBs should be given a year before starting. Other things get in the way of this, and it doesn't always happen. You take QBs high in the draft because someone else will if you don't. I don't believe Allen will win the starting job initially in the eyes of the coaches . A vet QB is usually the safer play early on, and most coaches go with that. 

None of them should.

I believe and hope the Bills will be smart enough to keep Allen on the bench. They’re all about “the process”, and they have McCarron & Peterman to play in front of him this year. 

Both Bradford and Bridgewater seem more likely than not to suffer injuries, especially playing behind their respective offensive lines. Therefore I could totally see Darnold & Rosen playing early. 

I could see that really hurting both their developments. Darnold simply because he’s so young, and turnover prone. Rosen because playing in front of such a weak offensive line is probably the worst thing for him and we could see him get banged up early on. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen - I respect your football chops so could you say a little more about why you see that?  It's been said that if you want a rookie to start, setting up a competition between a rookie and a veteran in training camp is not the way to go because the veteran will always win it, based on superior knowledge of what he sees on D and where to go with the ball.

I think Allen is already at a pretty respectable level when it comes to pre-snap reads and recognition. Because of that, I believe his progression would benefit most from actual game experience. If he's learning from the bench instead then I'm okay with that too, but that's my take on his development process. People may tell you that he needs to work on his footwork, and I'd agree to an extent, but I'm not sure that practice reps will do much if he's not also practicing the changes in the heat of the moment against a live defense.

26 minutes ago, D521646 said:

Darnold has to beat out veterans BW, and McGowen, I doubt it.  Mayfield will have to beat out the already anointed, TT in Cleveland, not happenin.  Allen, surprisingly might be the only one of the lot that has a chance, but even this I doubt.  AJ has been second fiddle to Dalton for 4 years, he ain't giving it up easily.

Tim-

I agree with this and if you don't think McCarron has a chip on his shoulder, he will after he sees the tweets Allen sent about AJ's wife.

Awkward first meeting for them both is in the cards. Wish I could be a fly on the wall with that hand shake.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless your name is Russell Wilson and you paid a bum like Matt Flynn in the offseason.