Beane & McDermott Address the Buffalo Media after Round 1

7 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

The irony is strong here.

Calling someone racist followed up by calling that same person a hillbilly which is used in a derogatory racist way.

Why do you hate white people so much you racist?

You're the racist. Who said hillbillies had to be white?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Murdox said:

Many people had Allen as the best QB this year, and up until early today I read that the Browns were still considering either Allen or Mayfield at 1.  CBS gave us an A+ for the pick.  Let's see how it goes.

Obviously not nfl teams.  Mike Mayock is one of my favorites but he had Blaine Gabbert (who Allen reminds me of) rated higher than Cam Newton.

28 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Geez, the overall reaction on this board is depressing and ridiculous.  Those who don't like the Allen pick obviously know much more about football than our front office and should have been in the war room instead.  There was nothing we could do within reason to get Mayfield or Darnold, so it boils down to all of you being pissed about not getting Josh Rosen.   Rosen is a good prospect, no doubt but given the status of our o-line, he may get hit again and again.  Two concussions in one season is a big red "flag" concerning his durability.  Believe what you want about his personality, but I wonder about how coachable he is.  Not convinced he is a better long-term option for the Bills.

I like Allen's size and abilities.  He may take longer to develop, but you all need to give him, our GM and coaching staff a chance to show they know more than us fans.

GM and coaches know more than we as fans.  But in honesty, doesn’t it make you at least a bit uncomfortable when Troy Aikman is on Fox struggling to explain/defend the pick when Rosen is still on the board?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Whaley was an absolutely awful public speaker. But his size, athleticism, "ability to play in Buffalo" were all mentioned ad naseum with EJ. Problem was he couldn't play QB. Theirs too much obsession with physical attributes and "being able to play in Buffalo" rather then can the guy actually play QB. 

Allen is similar in those respects to EJ. Way too similar for Bills fans comfort. 

Great post. The “ability to play in Buffalo” thing is a joke. It basically narrows down the number of guys we can choose from, and makes the Bills seem second rate. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Obviously not nfl teams.  Mike Mayock is one of my favorites but he had Blaine Gabbert (who Allen reminds me of) rated higher than Cam Newton.

Hard to say how all the NFL teams had him rated.  Maybe the Bills had him #1 from the start.  I didn't see any mock draft where Allen fell further than 14, and when he did fall usually another QB fell even further.  Allen has a stronger arm than Gabbert.

Don't forget - Rosen has suffered 2 concussions already.  Allen is much more durable and that is likely a factor as well.

Let's hope the high ceiling applies in this case, and we found ourselves a guy in the mold of Big Ben.  Man I hated when we just missed out on Big Ben all those years ago (notwithstanding the off-field issues).

Edited by Murdox

I'm listening to this now. All about the weather, hand size, and can grip the football make all the throws.

Even when he can grip the football he's proven to be inaccurate, he can't make all the throws. It's a slow dig, but these guys are digging their graves tonight

I'm tired of these people from the south and what not talking about this guy is buffalo, we need a guy to throw in our elements and retort like "you know the weather here" to the media.

I wish one of them would be like yea, I've been here for 40 years or whatever there isn't even a snow game a year. McDermott came from Philly and they drafted a dude who played his college career in a dome. It's just ridicolous. You don't draft a QB for the weather for potentially 1 game a year. It's non sense and stupidity.

I don't want to hear guys with southern accents tell me about our weather. Buddy was fixated on it too. Maybe we need to get some FO guys and coaches strictly from the north east so this isn't a thing any more.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Sooooo many people hating.. 

wish I could save most of these lol

First this is nothing like the EJ draft.

They HAD to take a quarterback that year and EJ was the “best” prospect they felt was available.

They didn’t HAVE to take Allen, they traded up cause they WANTED him. 

EJ was supposed to sit, and learn. Kolb slipped and EJ was ruined and shell shocked later that year. 

You also had Marrone and Hackett coaching a raw prospect. 

This coachibg staff sure as hell is not Marrone and Hackett. 

After this last season I am in shock so many of you don’t realize these guys spot talent THEY can work with that a lot of other teams can’t or don’t see potential. 

I feel.a little like a lot of posters are being little babies cause OBD didn’t follow your little mock drafts you’ve been posting for weeks so you could brag how smart you are ??

lets let the guy maybe play a couple downs before crying and trying to run him and the front office out of town. 

You're not seeing the parallels - they got rid of their decent, but not long-term starting QB (Fitz/Taylor) and then felt desperate to get their unproven, project QB.  In both instances the decision could have been more measured and prudent without overreaching or giving up a lot of draft capital on a QB that is far from a sure thing, and has one of the biggest red flags that QBs can have - accuracy issues (both EJ and Allen were rated very low in that respect). 

If you want to argue about differences, you could make the case that Manuel had already hit his ceiling in college - he was who he was by the time his senior year came around.  Allen seems to have a little more room to grow playing with more talent around him (but maybe not in front of him - the OL isn't looking too good right now).  I hope that I am humbled and wrong - I want the guy to succeed now that he is a Bill, but I'm pretty confident that the Bills didn't get the best QB available to them in the past two drafts and that is how you've got to assess this draft - they moved back last year and gave up opportunities to move up this year - will Allen be better than Watson, Mahomes, Rosen and Jackson - that should be how this should be judged.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ayjent said:

You're not seeing the parallels - they got rid of their decent, but not long-term starting QB (Fitz/Taylor) and then felt desperate to get their unproven, project QB.  In both instances the decision could have been more measured and prudent without overreaching or giving up a lot of draft capital on a QB that is far from a sure thing, and has one of the biggest red flags that QBs can have - accuracy issues (both EJ and Allen were rated very low in that respect). 

If you want to argue about differences, you could make the case that Manuel had already hit his ceiling in college - he was who he was by the time his senior year came around.  Allen seems to have a little more room to grow playing with more talent around him (but maybe not in front of him - the OL isn't looking too good right now).  I hope that I am humbled and wrong - I want the guy to succeed now that he is a Bill, but I'm pretty confident that the Bills didn't get the best QB available to them in the past two drafts and that is how you've got to assess this draft - they moved back last year and gave up opportunities to move up this year - will Allen be better than Watson, Mahomes, Rosen and Jackson - that should be how this should be judged.

You have some rationality to your posts so I give you credit compared to a lot of what I’m seeing from others.

but..... lots of people had Allen as the #1 prospect in the draft. 

I’m no qb guru but it’s possible he goes first had those tweets not been released the night before the draft. 

I just think it’s a different situation Allen is walking into. We have stability in the organization for the most part, when Ej was drafted things were a mess

It's funny how fans and media know that accuracy is something that can never improve (therefore a qb who had poor accuracy in college will never succeed in the NFL) yet Allen was still considered In the top tier of the draft this year and at times discussed as the #1 overall pick by the professional front office personal of real NFL teams...

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

You have some rationality to your posts so I give you credit compared to a lot of what I’m seeing from others.

but..... lots of people had Allen as the #1 prospect in the draft. 

I’m no qb guru but it’s possible he goes first had those tweets not been released the night before the draft. 

I just think it’s a different situation Allen is walking into. We have stability in the organization for the most part, when Ej was drafted things were a mess

I know boards had moved him up to the top by March/April - but at the end of the NCAA season Allen and Jackson were likely 2nd rounders, definitely not considered with the big 3 of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield.  It's funny how all of this stuff shakes out during the time between the end of the College season and the draft.  So he looked really impressive as an athlete and probably didn't come off as an arrogant jackass in the interviews so he rose up the boards, but not because of his on-field abilities, because of his potential.  We see these guys rise like this all the time - Gabbert, Tannehill, and Mahomes as well (although I liked his game way more than Allen's, but still thought the Chiefs were crazy taking him so high).

Honestly, Allen's situation in Buffalo isn't a sure thing.  Tyrod and vets like Shady, Wood, Incognito, and Kyle were the backbone of the team - 3 of those guys are gone and one is going to be done.  Shady isn't going to get better with age either.  Beane has done an excellent job clearing some cap space for the upcoming years, but a lot of talent was shipped out or let walk - they got to the playoffs last year, but that was a gift courtesy of the Bengals and we all know it.  I think we all have a pretty good idea that we are looking at a step backwards because of the QB position and OL this year.  An aging feature back, questionable WRs, and a shaky OL aren't exactly a perfect situation for a project QB or even a guy like McCarron to step into.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Beane & McDermott Address the Buffalo Media after Round 1
1 hour ago, Sherman said:

With EJ I remember them not being able to tell us what they liked. They just kept saying he has “It”. I just remember thinking what the hell does that mean, “It”?

Did you not ever play tag in school on playgrounds?

EJ was tagged "it" and everyone involved with him @ OBD spent the next four years running for their lives away from EJ. 

Edited by cba fan

31 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

and the congregation said, "amen"

I just wish they weren't so tone deaf.

Bills fans don't want to hear "he has a big arm! He's athletic! Snow and rain!".

We want to hear that the front office believes he can be the best quarterback in the league. That he can lead the team to championships. 

I really hope someone in the media is a little tough on them at some point in the near future, and asks them something like "other than being a nice kid from a farm and having a big arm, what do you actually see in him that makes you think he'll be successful?". But, ya know...journalism is horrific these days, so I won't hold my breath.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm listening to this now. All about the weather, hand size, and can grip the football make all the throws.

Even when he can grip the football he's proven to be inaccurate, he can't make all the throws. It's a slow dig, but these guys are digging their graves tonight

I'm tired of these people from the south and what not talking about this guy is buffalo, we need a guy to throw in our elements and retort like "you know the weather here" to the media.

I wish one of them would be like yea, I've been here for 40 years or whatever there isn't even a snow game a year. McDermott came from Philly and they drafted a dude who played his college career in a dome. It's just ridicolous. You don't draft a QB for the weather for potentially 1 game a year. It's non sense and stupidity.

I don't want to hear guys with southern accents tell me about our weather. Buddy was fixated on it too. Maybe we need to get some FO guys and coaches strictly from the north east so this isn't a thing any more.

Allen is the classic old school pick based on physical traits and potential.  These football idiots just can't help themselves when they run into a guy this tall, big, strong, and with such a strong arm.  

A more intelligent statistical analysis would steer you clear of Allen.

I agree with your comments on the weather/cold and how irrelevant all that is.

The NFL is like 30 years behind the curve on....everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1