RD 1, Pick 16: Tremaine Edmunds OLB - Virginia Tech

SDS

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't know my X's and O's but he won't be playing MLB right? Still a huge hole there?

He will be playing MLB, with the flexibility to slide to Sam or Will depending on formations. He's also probably going to cover Gronk, so I doubt there will be any cheap shots this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WMDman said:

he will be playing MLB

YESSS. that's all I wanted from the draft, high picks at MLB and QB

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He will be playing MLB, with the flexibility to slide to Sam or Will depending on formations. He's also probably going to cover Gronk, so I doubt there will be any cheap shots this year.

he looks great in pass coverage from what I can tell.

"If Edmunds DOES reach that lofty ceiling, and he DOES realize his full potential, it's gonna set a new bar for the linebacker position that we have never, EVER seen before."

The above quote is from this video. This guy is, um, quite bullish on Edmunds to say the least.

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

"If Edmunds DOES reach that lofty ceiling, and he DOES realize his full potential, it's gonna set a new bar for the linebacker position that we have never, EVER seen before."

The above quote is from this video. This guy is, um, quite bullish on Edmunds to say the least.

Who's been our best LB since the drought? (The start of my fandom) Bradham? Fletcher?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Who's been our best LB since the drought? (The start of my fandom) Bradham? Fletcher?

Cowart or Spikes and it's not close.  Cowart was close to Ray Lewis on the field before his injury.

9 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Cowart or Spikes and it's not close.  Cowart was close to Ray Lewis on the field before his injury.

must have been too young for Cowart. I knew I was forgetting someone, Takeo was a beast, I forgot about him, being a FA and all.

EDIT: oof and we traded him for pennies, injuries I guess

I do think Bradham is criminally underrated, even now. He gets overshadowed by the the sheer talent the Eagles have, but he makes that Eagles front 7 tick.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

From what I'm seing so far, Edmunds has a lot of work to do, but much like his companion pick at QB, has an enormous ceiling.

I'm getting the impression with these two picks, that Beane and McDermott have gone hard for their two 'Generals', the obvious one on Offense at QB, but Edmunds on D also.

Could be some growing pains, but if they both pan out, we will be contending for a long time, assuming they fill out other parts of the roster correctly.

Is it possible he isn't done growing? Another inch or two and he'd be almost 6'7. I have never seen an ILB that tall. Not sure if that'd effect the way he'd be able to shed blocks or anything like that. He'd be like Groot on passing downs though, in the middle of that cover 2.

This dude is the linebacker version of Clowney.  If he stayed in school for 2018 he'd be on track as a top-3 pick in 2019.  McD has a track record of being able to mold linebackers.  This pick was a calculated risk with an enormous upside.  Now it's up to Edmunds to put in the work (and not get hurt).  If he does that, we're potentially looking at the next Cornelius Bennett.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1