Not a big fan of the Combine or Draft: Really rubs me the wrong way.

While all y'all are salivating over who we'll "get" or who Beane will "select", all you're really doing is perpetuating the idea that we can judge, bargain shop and compare young men based on physical traits like hips, arms, chest, jumping ability, speed and agility.

It's a meat market mentality and now we all sit in front of the screen and watch a Hollywood atmosphere (cameras, red carpets, interviews, fancy clothes) as young men (black, white, Fiji islands and latinos) get "selected" by "the man". I don't put Beane or Pegula in this category...they get a pass. But guys like Dorsey, Bellichick, Gettleman, Jerry Jones and coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are choosing men who will be forced into service for a team or city for whom they may not wish to work.

Next thing you know, they'll be checking the players teeth, or making them carry loads of bricks on their backs with some goofy reason like "we need to check the teeth because it helps us understand their hygiene practices" or "carrying bricks on their back is a sign of their ability to carry a team when they are down in the 4th quarter".

I feel bad for these young men. They don't understand the symbolic nature of what they have gone through. The first thing that happens when they get "selected" is they put on a team hat....talk about branding. It's ridiculous. I probably won't even watch and I would suggest if you have even a rudimentary understanding of "human rights" you would do the same.

Peace out!

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

While all y'all are salivating over who we'll "get" or who Beane will "select", all you're really doing is perpetuating the idea that we can judge, bargain shop and compare young men based on physical traits like hips, arms, chest, jumping ability, speed and agility.

It's a meat market mentality and now we all sit in front of the screen and watch a Hollywood atmosphere (cameras, red carpets, interviews, fancy clothes) as young men (black, white, Fiji islands and latinos) get "selected" by "the man". I don't put Beane or Pegula in this category...they get a pass. But guys like Dorsey, Bellichick, Gettleman, Jerry Jones and coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are choosing men who will be forced into service for a team or city for whom they may not wish to work.

Next thing you know, they'll be checking the players teeth, or making them carry loads of bricks on their backs with some goofy reason like "we need to check the teeth because it helps us understand their hygiene practices" or "carrying bricks on their back is a sign of their ability to carry a team when they are down in the 4th quarter".

I feel bad for these young men. They don't understand the symbolic nature of what they have gone through. The first thing that happens when they get "selected" is they put on a team hat....talk about branding. It's ridiculous. I probably won't even watch and I would suggest if you have even a rudimentary understanding of "human rights" you would do the same.

Peace out!

and sign a multi million dollar contract to play....it's awful

• Thank you (+1) 1

what?  then they get a check for more money than a lot of people will ever see.  you forgot that part. Millionaires. Many of their children will never have to work or at least will work in a different industry than they would have if grown up poor. 

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every player drafted tomorrow SIGNED UP FOR IT willingly. Nobody is being "forced into service."

Most players don't care where they are drafted, because the NFL is one big elite club.

Signed up for what? These young men are treated like chattel from Little Loop all the way through the combine. Fathers of players sit in a smokey room at a tavern and pick kids from the district. They have them over to their houses to "play football" but what they're really doing is scoping out speed, strength and agility under the guise of "fun and games". Little kids are "selected" based on their athleticism and are then carted from town to town so the coach can showcase what fine athletes he has found in his own district. You telling me little John or Saquon have even the slightest notion they are being put through a mini combine at the age of 9? They have no clue. Meanwhile, Coach Peterson (with his tight Bike shorts and whistle) starts making calls basically saying "I HAVE this kid that I FOUND and he'd be perfect for your needs". Then the kid gets the same treatment through high school, college and on to the gold standard of "property transfer"...the NFL. It's sickening when you think about it.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Signed up for what? These young men are treated like chattel from Little Loop all the way through the combine. Fathers of players sit in a smokey room at a tavern and pick kids from the district. They have them over to their houses to "play football" but what they're really doing is scoping out speed, strength and agility under the guise of "fun and games". Little kids are "selected" based on their athleticism and are then carted from town to town so the coach can showcase what fine athletes he has found in his own district. You telling me little John or Saquon have even the slightest notion they are being put through a mini combine at the age of 9? They have no clue. Meanwhile, Coach Peterson (with his tight Bike shorts and whistle) starts making calls basically saying "I HAVE this kid that I FOUND and he'd be perfect for your needs". Then the kid gets the same treatment through high school, college and on to the gold standard of "property transfer"...the NFL. It's sickening when you think about it.

Has anyone forced them to play football? Like, say, roman gladiators were?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

people in board rooms judge kids on grades, sports, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, etc. all to get into college.  then you go get a job based on the college, degree, grades etc.  everyone is doing this man

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You forgot to mention the forced breeding.

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

what?  then they get a check for more money than a lot of people will ever see.  you forgot that part. Millionaires. Many of their children will never have to work or at least will work in a different industry than they would have if grown up poor. 

So just because they get a check, we are excused as a society from judging these young men for their muscle tone and ability to jump, rather than their minds?

45 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Peace out!

Too-Damn-High.jpg

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

You forgot to mention the forced breeding.

I'm glad you brought this up. All we ever hear about is bloodlines and genetics. How many times have we heard an announcer say "Now here's a guy that plays a lot like Luke Kuechly"....that, in an of itself, is a slap in the face of each player's own individualized style as a player. If these men want to play the game for bragging rights, I'm ok with it, but to pay even one lousy nickel, you are perpetuating the idea of in dentured servitude which we have worked tirelessly to eradicate for well over 45 years.

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

So just because they get a check, we are excused as a society from judging these young men for their muscle tone and ability to jump, rather than their minds?

well that's their profession. to attack a guy with the ball or run from guys attacking them cause they have a ball.