Report: Bills Unlikely to Trade Up to No. 2 - Rapoport

sven233

what if the Giants trade Eli Manning to Jacksonville for a 1st round pick and then draft Rosen at number 2 with their pick.  This may be a possible scenario on draft day. It would be a big win for the Giants and the Jaguars and a big loss for the Bills, especially if they cannot come any higher to #5 or #6.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I guess probability is on our side after last year. Fire away!

No. Not passive. Smart. That's all I am asking. Yes, I want a QB, but I also want a team. Brady Quinn might have had a HOF career, just saying, team is important and look at A. Luck while we are at it. Tough to be a QB with a bottom tier team, Bradford. . . . . . 

So yes, you want to approach the most important position in organized sports with a "let's wait for whoever nobody else wants".

I'm sorry, but that's a bad approach.

And it pre-supposes that the team somehow won't be able to improve if they give up assets to climb in the draft, which simply isn't true 

They have 9 picks in this draft, and 9 picks next year, plus between $75M and $80M in cap space next offseason 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

So yes, you want to approach the most important position in organized sports with a "let's wait for whoever nobody else wants".

And it pre-supposes that the team somehow won't be able to improve if they give up assets to climb in the draft, which simply isn't true 

They have 9 picks in this draft, and 9 picks next year, plus between $75M and $80M in cap space next offseaso

if we do not have a good to great team in '19, something will be awfully wrong.

The only reason the Giants shouldn't trade out of the #2 spot is if they are picking a QB.  The other top players aren't seen as potential Hall of Famers, so the Giants are dumb not to take up to 3 first round picks for a replacement level player.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

The only reason the Giants shouldn't trade out of the #2 spot is if they are picking a QB.  The other top players aren't seen as potential Hall of Famers, so the Giants are dumb not to take up to 3 first round picks for a replacement level player.

A lot of people see Barkley as a HoF level player, and that is who the Giants are favored to take.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

They have 9 picks in this draft, and 9 picks next year, plus between $75M and $80M in cap space next offseason 

I love the Bills. I wish I had the answers. I hope you are right. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

1 pick in each round this year + a comp pick in the 3rd round.

Now that would be difficult for a new HC to start his tenure by giving up all his picks this year and a pick next year.  He will be out of a job at end of year #2.

Nightmare flash backs to the 2004 draft.  Bills did not trade up and took Lee Evans two picks after Pittsburgh selected Roethlisberger.  To compound the mistake, trades up with Dallas and take JP Losman.  UGH  Hope they get a top QB this year.

On April 23, 2018 at 4:40 PM, sven233 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/23/report-bills-unlikely-to-trade-up-to-no-2/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928086/article/draft-buzz-bills-unlikely-to-trade-for-giants-no-2-pick?campaign=tw-nf-sf187598182-sf187598182&sf187598182=1

"From what I understand, it's not going to be one of those things where they just sell out and (trade) all the way to No. 2 with the Giants," Rapoport said. "I would be at this moment surprised if that happens."

I still think that if their #1 guy is there at 2 they do everything they can to get there. 

Hopefully there is a Plan B in place to get to 4-5 though if, for whatever reason, they can't get there.

If we trade to 4 or 5, hopefully Darnold or Rosen will still be there.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Nightmare flash backs to the 2004 draft.  Bills did not trade up and took Lee Evans two picks after Pittsburgh selected Roethlisberger.  To compound the mistake, trades up with Dallas and take JP Losman.  UGH  Hope they get a top QB this year.

Yup. Pittsburgh made out pretty well sitting tight at 11 for the third best QB off the board. For the price of a single first round selection. I'm not suggesting the Bills do this, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, right? Wonder if PIt fans have nightmares of their team sitting idly by, waiting for Roethlisberger to fall to them. A lot of unexpected things can happen in a draft. We just dont know until it does. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I love the Bills. I wish I had the answers. I hope you are right. 

I hear you; I admit that I have no idea if trading up will ultimately yield the right QB.

Where we differ is that the team really doesn't lose anything by taking their shot.  At worst, they miss out on some role players or ancillary pieces this year and fill them in FA next offseason.

• Like (+1) 2