Rob Johnson is still bitter after 20 years

48 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Flutie’s winning percentage with the Bills: 70%

Johnson’s winning percentage with the Bills: 34.5%

in 2000, Flutie was 4 - 1, Johnson was 4 - 7.

But more importantly, what were their ACT scores?

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Steve Young complained about it all the time and thought about quitting all the time. He was as frustrated and vocal a backup as there ever was.

I don't recall this.  I recall him being Montana's imminent replacement and not dividing the locker room while he waited.  I never heard of him wanting to quit football.

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It’s interesting that top prospects get compared with Doug Flutie.

Who ever said that a top prospect reminded him of Rob Johnson?

...I believe there was ONE comparison to Cereal Boy and that would be Mayfield......others??........hell we could see "Baker's croissants" next.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Thing is, we were desperate for a franchise QB.  And while many people debated the coach's decision to start RJ for the Titans game, nobody blamed RJ for losing it.  That was on the coach for taking the time out at three seconds instead of two, leaving one on the clock...and on the special teams who had one job (let him return it anywhere, even the one-yard line...anywhere but the end zone).  As a result, people wanted to believe in RJ.  People wanted him to succeed, to be the franchise QB we desperately needed.  A lot of fans were willing to overlook his flaws and shortcomings at first because of that desperate desire.  But in the end, RJ just didn't get it done.  It was not Flutie's fault he didn't succeed in Buffalo, it was his.  Young grew up in Montana's shadow and outgrew it.  Rodgers grew up in Farve's shadow and outgrew it.  Brady grew up in Bledsoe's shadow and outgrew it.  RJ might have been in Flutie's shadow, but he had ample opportunity to outgrow it.  Unlike the examples mentioned above, who outgrew better QBs then Flutie, RJ failed.  That's on him.

24 minutes ago, stony said:

But more importantly, what were their ACT scores?

Flutie was a Rhodes Scholarship finalist and won a National Football Foundation post-graduate scholarship.

Edited by Sky Diver

We also had a top 3 defense those years. Even the games Flutie won, we weren’t scoring a lot. He just pulled them out in dynamic fashion.  I remember back to back wins, one of them being a QB roll out by him that was a miscommunication handoff. 

The thing is, they were both flawed.  We wanted desperately to have one of them be The Guy but neither had what it takes.

Flutie might have been a jerk.  OK, that's bad, but how well could he play?  He was OK.  He played like a smart QB with a limited arm and good athletic ability should play.  He focused on moving the chains and staying in good down and distance.  With a strong defense, which the Bills had, he could help the team win.  But he wasn't the guy to take them to a SB win.  Sorry, but when you get into the playoffs the softies are gone and the QB really has to make plays with his arm, and Flutie was not the guy for that.

Johnson had no pocket awareness.   He had an above-average arm and a good concept of the game plan.  Even with all that, he wasn't the guy to take them to a SB win either.

The bottom line is we're all arguing about something pointless.  Neither was good enough.  At certain things one guy was better than the other, but neither was good enough.

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The thing is, they were both flawed.  We wanted desperately to have one of them be The Guy but neither had what it takes.

Flutie might have been a jerk.  OK, that's bad, but how well could he play?  He was OK.  He played like a smart QB with a limited arm and good athletic ability should play.  He focused on moving the chains and staying in good down and distance.  With a strong defense, which the Bills had, he could help the team win.  But he wasn't the guy to take them to a SB win.  Sorry, but when you get into the playoffs the softies are gone and the QB really has to make plays with his arm, and Flutie was not the guy for that.

Johnson had no pocket awareness.   He had an above-average arm and a good concept of the game plan.  Even with all that, he wasn't the guy to take them to a SB win either.

The bottom line is we're all arguing about something pointless.  Neither was good enough.  At certain things one guy was better than the other, but neither was good enough.

Who knows. If Flutie doesn’t get pulled for the playoff game against TN, maybe they go to the SB and win.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Who knows. If Flutie doesn’t get pulled for the playoff game against TN, maybe they go to the SB and win.

Hmm, earlier I said...

And while many people debated the coach's decision to start RJ for the Titans game, nobody blamed RJ for losing it.  That was on the coach for taking the time out at three seconds instead of two, leaving one on the clock...and on the special teams who had one job (let him return it anywhere, even the one-yard line...anywhere but the end zone).

...I stand corrected.  Apparently at least one person does...  :blink:

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Hmm, earlier I said...

...I stand corrected.  Apparently at least one person does...  :blink:

Who blamed Johnson. Maybe if Flutie plays the Bills are 2 Tds ahead.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Haha (+1) 1

Despite Flutie's accolades, Johnson told Sports Illustrated that he felt he should have been the team's starting quarterback in 1999 based on his stats.

"My stats [in 1998] were better than his, but his win-loss record was better than mine."

A focus on his stats was (and is), to me, the biggest problem with Robosack. He was more interested in protecting his stats than winning the game. Even the announcers would point out during games that he would run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage (giving a statistical sack to the offensive line) to avoid getting rid of the ball by throwing an incomplete pass, reducing his completion %.

He was gutless, which is a shame - he could have been the better QB of the two, by far. Johnson played to protect his stats, while Flutie made things happen on the field to win.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

RJ was a 4th rd pick. The Bills liked him because of one good career start and because he could spin the ball. The Jags fleeced us.

I liked him because he was exciting to watch and he found ways to win games. He had a 70% winning percentage with the Bills.

Ted Cottell’s defenses won us that 70% mark.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I remember leaving that game thinking finally, this guy is gonna be the franchise QB the Bills had been looking for.  He was impressive as hell that day.  Then...  well you know the rest.

The game itself was great!!! The defense on both sides was rocking!!!! When they have shown it on replay I watch it because it is still fun to watch...... till HRTB

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall this.  I recall him being Montana's imminent replacement and not dividing the locker room while he waited.  I never heard of him wanting to quit football.

Much like Flutie and Johnson, there was a lot of animosity between Young and Montana. They definitely didn't like one another. The difference was that they were both phenomenal, Super Bowl winning QBs unlike Flutie and Johnson who were whiny, journeyman, nobodies.

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

You appear to be forgetting a couple of critical elements of the Miami game.

1. Mounds fumbled away a near certain TD on the Miami 12 yrd line after a 65 yrd pass play.

2. Andre Reed bumped the referee after he was called down on Miami’s 1 yrd line and earned an ejection and a 15 yrd penalty. The Bills had to settle for a FG.

3. The Bills committed 9 penalties and had 4 fumbles.

How about Flutie throwing a pick in the EZ....?

You seem to have left that gem out.