Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

Personally, I give Sam Darnold the slight edge (because of injury concerns).  But Josh Rosen is a very close second.

He's already better than most NFL quarterbacks when it comes to accuracy, anticipation and ability to read a defense. 

To me, these qualities have proven more successful than raw prospects with size/arm talent (Josh Allen) and athletic ability (Lamar Jackson).  There are no questions about his size or ability to run a pro-style offense (Baker Mayfield).

I understand that leadership is important.  But many of Rosen's critics seem to be nitpicking personality traits.  If he slides because of his political views or because he talks about beating Tom Brady's records, that will be the most ridiculous thing I've seen in ages.

• Like (+1) 1

Goff has been somewhat underwhelming and McVay was literally feeding defensive coverages into his ear before the snap last year. So I don't get the comparison, I hope whatever QB we draft this year is better than Goff.

What worries me with Rosen is he's a statue in the pocket. He isn't very accurate on the run. In the modern NFL I'm not sure how long someone like that will last, especially considering his injury history. I will still be happy if we end up with Rosen but I've got Darnold and Mayfield ahead of him at this point.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a divide, but Rosen has expressed many times how he respects everyone ekse’s views and diversity is the best thing about the locker room in Football. He likes to learn about others beliefs. He went to catholic HS, he will be used to “faith-based” speeches 

He's my guy, even in a tradeup. I just don't believe it. Not to pee in anyones cornflakes (perhaps I'm trying to prepare myself for no Rosen), I believe its Darnold they covet. He just fits the profile.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

He's my guy, even in a tradeup. I just don't believe it. Not to pee in anyones cornflakes (perhaps I'm trying to prepare myself for no Rosen), I believe its Darnold they covet. He just fits the profile.

I think it will come down to these 2 given that imo they need to get to 1 for Darnold ... Rosen plan B? I don’t buy that he will slide that far but think they could get him at 2, 4 or 5.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Mayfield's completion percentage was 8 points higher than Rosen's this season

And in TOTALLY different Offensive systems....Rosen was Pro Style, under center and not nearly the volume of screens / bubble-screens that Mayfield had. I'm not opposed to Mayfield (I don't think he'll do well in the NFL right out of the gate) but I'm not a big fan of his....I'm "meh" on Mayfield.

However, out of the two....Rosen's "off field concerns" are far and away much less concerning than Mayfield's. Both are rooted in immaturity...but Rosen's is an interest to be globally aware and use his status to advance his brand of politics or social ideas whereas Mayfield's was to me a greater revelation of character issues. Rosen is cerebral and takes an interest in things that truly matter beyond football. Some are threatened by intelligence and an interest to be active in the amelioration of society, others see a young man who can be very much the football star and the activist without negating the weight of either sphere of influence. However, as Kap has shown, you must pick your position carefully and wisely in order to keep those two worlds from colliding. They must remain almost compartmentalized although there will be influence between the two. The best of the best are able to handle these nuances. I think Rosen can do that, but it will take some maturity and growth and it will take a Coach who can speak to him on his level. He does not seem to easily respect those who aren't capable of handling his acumen, and that is a bit of a personality issue. Not one to avoid Drafting, but one that can be a locker room challenge. Most of these men are of average to maybe slightly below average intelligence. When you get challenged by someone you don't believe has more knowledge than you do, there's a special type of patience and grace needed to navigate that relationship. 

I like Rosen a bunch, he's my favorite QB in this Draft so I am certainly biased. But, IMHO, I don't think that changes the fact that he is purest pocket passer in this Draft and has as much potential as any of the QBs to be an elite QB in the league for more than a decade. 

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

He will have to consider how Rosen's politics will play in Springville, Franklinville, and Wellsville to name a few podunk locales.  

LOL!    Better not hold your breath regarding what the NFL and Pegs care about Springville, Franklinville and Wellsville...     

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The NBA is absolutely loaded with social justice warriors, Lebron being one of the biggest. It hasn’t hurt a thing, in fact, it’s the best run league imo. NFL Owners should take note.

Just my opinion but I think the NBA plays towards a more urban demographic while the NFL still heavily courts WASP-y middle America.  A heavy dose of players with a message will turn televisions off of the NFL in quite a number of areas.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The NBA is absolutely loaded with social justice warriors, Lebron being one of the biggest. It hasn’t hurt a thing, in fact, it’s the best run league imo. NFL Owners should take note.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/buffalo_bills_lesean_mccoy_speaks_out_against_president_donald_trump.html

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it will come down to these 2 given that imo they need to get to 1 for Darnold ... Rosen plan B? I don’t buy that he will slide that far but think they could get him at 2, 4 or 5.

I would love him at 2,4,5...no problem. You're sticking with Browns taking Darnold at 1  I guess.

I know this matters not to some on here. I just like Rosen because of his persona, he's exciting...where as Darnold is kinda boring actually. The most exciting thing about him is his grandfather being the Marlboro Man and named Dick Hammer!:D

I just think Darnold screams McBeane. I'm hoping I'm wrong

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Just my opinion but I think the NBA plays towards a more urban demographic while the NFL still heavily courts WASP-y middle America.  A heavy dose of players with a message will turn televisions off of the NFL in quite a number of areas.

NBA is the most popular pro sport by far amongst the WASPY suburbans around me and you can’t get any more middle America than columbus, Ohio.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

and it will take a Coach who can speak to him on his level.

There's the $64,000 regarding these QBs.   

I Don't see McD being a Rosen-whisperer at all.   Sean's a meat-and-potatoes Allen kind of guy.   Or Darnold.   Not Mayfield, either...

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't want this guy on our team with his terrible attitude. He just needs to shut his mouth.... I mean he wore an F-trump hat. 

The word that comes to mind is 'endearing'.

Agnostic and cares about the state of our republic? Good. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a “divide,” but i think it will be 1 vs 2, but “this guy is off my board because he’s not of similar faith” 

Rosen has expressed many times how he respects everyone else’s views and diversity is the best thing about the locker room in Football. He likes to learn about others beliefs. He went to catholic HS, he will be used to “faith-based” speeches 

Sure- I’d hope for that pragmatism. The only thing I do religiously on Sunday is watch the Bills... Saturday too for that matter. 

Ive just noticed for some of these super religious guys its a centerpiece of their evaluation “process”.  And whatever QB they go for anywhere in the first round is almost certain to be married in fate to the gm and the coach. I think they will demand unanimity on this topic- as I would if in Terry’s shoes.   

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

LOL!    Better not hold your breath regarding what the NFL and Pegs care about Springville, Franklinville and Wellsville...     

Do they care inside of closed doors of course not.  But Terry certainly cares when he has to go outside the Buffalo city limits to be assured of a sellout for the Cap.  Also, I would imagine that those towns are very good for selling Bills-marked NFL merchandise which has little market value 120 miles or more away from Orchard Park.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I Don't see McD being a Rosen-whisperer at all.   Sean's a meat-and-potatoes Allen kind of guy.   Or Darnold.   Not Mayfield, either...

Hopefully McD stays away from the offense altogether and it's Daboll & Culley talking to our new QB.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Do they care inside of closed doors of course not.  But Terry certainly cares when he has to go outside the Buffalo city limits to be assured of a sellout for the Cap.  Also, I would imagine that those towns are very good for selling Bills-marked NFL merchandise which has little market value 120 miles or more away from Orchard Park.

So is your point that if the Bills draft Rosen they won't sell out the stadium? If so I strongly disagree1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

You may be right...but honestly, I don't think anyone knows. Dare I say, even McD himself. He's been a Defensive guy for so long and Tyrod wasn't his guy, so it's almost impossible to know if he has that ability or not. Belicheck was a Defensive guy, but found a cerebral Tom Brady and was able to maximize his talent and skills to the tune of becoming what we've all been tortured to witness for nearly 20 years...ugh, can't believe it's been that long!! 

McD does seem like a very bright man and his didactic, organized and planned way of doing things might very well be just the ticket for a kid like Rosen. Who knows? Point being....way too early to know that about McD IMHO.