Trade Benjamin and Shady if They Don't Get THEIR QB

17 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It works just not in Buffalo for some reason.. But you have to put that blame on the Pegulas as they chose Tim Murray.  Tim gave up so many players for a quick fix he made us worse

Everything was going according to plan until idiot TM sold all of our draft picks and the young guns who were in the system for loser pieces. He tried to have it both ways and failed miserably.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Everything was going according to plan until idiot TM sold all of our draft picks and the young guns who were in the system for loser pieces. He tried to have it both ways and failed miserably.

sad too because for awhile there I was thinking Tim was a good GM and we would be a dominant team for a decade....but hindsight 20/20 his trades killed us

Edited by ddaryl

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

In what universe is what I said a total rebuild? An aging 30 year RB and a receiver who probably won't be here next year anyway? Exaggerate much?

why do you describe McCoy as aging....aren't we all? He's still a top player in this league

Why would Benjamin be the most useless #1 WR in the NFL? 

I actually think there there is a chance that AJ uses him more than Tyrod. 

Tyrod was very very unwilling to throw up 50/50 balls for Benjamin. I don't know that AJ has that same issue. With his little playntime in Cinci, he has shown a willingness to throw a pass and let his receiver go and get it. 

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

why do you describe McCoy as aging....aren't we all? He's still a top player in this league

Because out of the 16 RBs in the league that are 29 or over, he is literally the only one that is worthwhile. How long do you think that is going to continue? The 30 year old wall is the death knell for this position in the NFL so if you can get something, the last chance is now.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Because out of the 16 RBs in the league that are 29 or over, he is literally the only one that is worthwhile. How long do you think that is going to continue? The 30 year old wall is the death knell for this position in the NFL so if you can get something, the last chance is now.

Can't always get value for every player.....right now his value is highest as a Bill...

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I think that we have created a good stable of running backs and short yardage stuff should go to Ivory who is a bruiser.

By platooning Shady with the others we can keep him healthy and productive for a bit longer.

4 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

herm.jpg.ef94dbb6a2a75a3e6e1a30987e519922.jpg

Herm Edwards was wrong.  You play to win championships and do whatever it takes to get there.  This year involves trading a bunch to move up & try to get the franchise QB who will get you there.  Other years could involve tanking, but this season isn't going to be a tank year.  

Herm is out of the NFL because he lost sight of the big picture. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

If the Bills really do have something in place with the Giants at 2, I am fine keeping these guys. If the Bills end up getting a 2nd tier guy at #12, sit him for the full year and trade these two without hesitation. Benjamin will be the most useless #1 receiver in the league this year and good luck to Shady with this offense. Take your lumps with AJ and then next year, hopefully your #12 pick is ready, you will have added pieces left and right in this year's draft and then you have all the FA $$ for 2019.

I have no problem taking the down season for 2018 as I think they will be lined up perfectly for 2019. Nobody wants to get to #2 this year more than me but if there are no takers, it is what it is. Just making the playoffs last year was fun as hell and I see a pretty bright future after this upcoming season. Don't waste Benjamin and Shady when you know damn well neither will be back next year. Collect some more picks for next years draft and we are sitting pretty.

Interesting perspective so i will counter with  mine.

Well it remains to be seen what happens at the top of the draft.  I am not convinced OBD has a "get our guy at  #2" or punt strategy.  Us fans have no idea who the OBD brain trust has rated as their #1 QB and I would say of the top 3 there is no clear leader.  Last year there were 3 QBs taken in the top 12, with all 3 being traded up for.  last year all 3 picks in the top 12 constituted a reach.  2011 was the last time 4 QBs went in the top 12, with Cam Newton at #1 being the only one warranted.  Locker, Gabbert and Ponder were busts with 2 out of the league now.  All 3 in retrospect were big reaches.   IMHO taking Allen in the top 10 is a big reach.  

There has been much hype about the top 4 guys but as the draft nears teams will stop blowing smoke and lock in on the best player for their team at their pick at this time.  If true, the Giants at 2 pass on a QB to get an Edge rusher, RB1 or O lineman to help win now.  The Browns use both of their picks to get a QB and a difference maker at RB, Edge or DB.  So the given are the Browns and Jets taking 2 QBs.  The Broncos are a wild card, but their O Line is poor and the ND OG could be their target.  The Colts have a multitude of needs and unless they get bad news on Luck in next 10 days, wont take a QB. Next up are Tampa Bay, Chicago, 49ers, Raiders and none need a QB.  If the target QB is there at 7-10 OBD might trade up to grab one of those picks to get their QB.  My read is this is for any or Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

Personally can't see them moving up for Allen or Jackson.  I only see Mayfield and Rosen as possibly being ready to play in 2018.  OBD getting Darnold seems like a pipe dream as I can't see Giants trading down and Darnold lasting past the Jets.  So if CLE goes with Darnold at 1,  Jets take Mayfield at 3 then the 2 Josh's could slide out of top 6 picks.  

OBD must field an entertaining team to keep momentum going.  The D will be better and the O has to improve especially in the passing game for that to occur.  IMHO neither Shady (obtained for a LB) or Benjamin (obtained for a 3rd and 7th) would return any higher than a 4th Rd player in the draft as both are either on one year deal or on a $9mm contracted salary for 2018 and 2019.  Both are worth more to OBD as roster players vs trade bait.

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Herm Edwards was wrong.  You play to win championships and do whatever it takes to get there.  This year involves trading a bunch to move up & try to get the franchise QB who will get you there.  Other years could involve tanking, but this season isn't going to be a tank year.  

Herm is out of the NFL because he lost sight of the big picture. 

Tell this to McDermott.  He seems like a tank guy.

10 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Interesting perspective so i will counter with  mine.

Well it remains to be seen what happens at the top of the draft.  I am not convinced OBD has a "get our guy at  #2" or punt strategy.  Us fans have no idea who the OBD brain trust has rated as their #1 QB and I would say of the top 3 there is no clear leader.  Last year there were 3 QBs taken in the top 12, with all 3 being traded up for.  last year all 3 picks in the top 12 constituted a reach.  2011 was the last time 4 QBs went in the top 12, with Cam Newton at #1 being the only one warranted.  Locker, Gabbert and Ponder were busts with 2 out of the league now.  All 3 in retrospect were big reaches.   IMHO taking Allen in the top 10 is a big reach.  

There has been much hype about the top 4 guys but as the draft nears teams will stop blowing smoke and lock in on the best player for their team at their pick at this time.  If true, the Giants at 2 pass on a QB to get an Edge rusher, RB1 or O lineman to help win now.  The Browns use both of their picks to get a QB and a difference maker at RB, Edge or DB.  So the given are the Browns and Jets taking 2 QBs.  The Broncos are a wild card, but their O Line is poor and the ND OG could be their target.  The Colts have a multitude of needs and unless they get bad news on Luck in next 10 days, wont take a QB. Next up are Tampa Bay, Chicago, 49ers, Raiders and none need a QB.  If the target QB is there at 7-10 OBD might trade up to grab one of those picks to get their QB.  My read is this is for any or Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

Personally can't see them moving up for Allen or Jackson.  I only see Mayfield and Rosen as possibly being ready to play in 2018.  OBD getting Darnold seems like a pipe dream as I can't see Giants trading down and Darnold lasting past the Jets.  So if CLE goes with Darnold at 1,  Jets take Mayfield at 3 then the 2 Josh's could slide out of top 6 picks.  

OBD must field an entertaining team to keep momentum going.  The D will be better and the O has to improve especially in the passing game for that to occur.  IMHO neither Shady (obtained for a LB) or Benjamin (obtained for a 3rd and 7th) would return any higher than a 4th Rd player in the draft as both are either on one year deal or on a $9mm contracted salary for 2018 and 2019.  Both are worth more to OBD as roster players vs trade bait.

See, now that is actually a well thought out response.

• Like (+1) 1

They are not tanking for anyone and this is not a tanking mentality. This is setting yourself up perfectly for the 2019 season. There are young pieces already here and plenty more will be added after this draft. A smart GM will recognize timing for certain moves and what they did with Sammy should be exactly what they do with Benjamin.

If the Bills really do have something in place with the Giants at 2, I am fine keeping these guys. If the Bills end up getting a 2nd tier guy at #12, sit him for the full year and trade these two without hesitation. Benjamin will be the most useless #1 receiver in the league this year and good luck to Shady with this offense. Take your lumps with AJ and then next year, hopefully your #12 pick is ready, you will have added pieces left and right in this year's draft and then you have all the FA $$ for 2019.

I have no problem taking the down season for 2018 as I think they will be lined up perfectly for 2019. Nobody wants to get to #2 this year more than me but if there are no takers, it is what it is. Just making the playoffs last year was fun as hell and I see a pretty bright future after this upcoming season. Don't waste Benjamin and Shady when you know damn well neither will be back next year. Collect some more picks for next years draft and we are sitting pretty.

So we traded a third and 7th round pick for KB but if we fall short in this draft we trade him away after 6 games with the team and get what for him? A 4th or a 5th? Seems pretty counterproductive.  And like posts have said before we wouldn't get much for Shady so essentially trading away our two best (of right now) offensive talents for not much in return just because we don't get the QB we want and wait a whole year to start all over again?  Just don't see it happening.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

See, now that is actually a well thought out response.

Appreciate the props here.  Funny wrote a preseason Post last  year on how long Bills Triplets at the time (Tyrod, Shady, Sammy) would last.  Would never have picked Shady as last man standing!

6 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The eternal cry of the Tanker  Bird.

Come on man.  We're trying to win here.  

Beane brought in Benjamin but Shady is old regime. As we have seen, Beane is quick to dump the last regime's players if he can get value. I could see McCoy being the clincher in a deal with NYG at 2 or the Browns at 4.

That's a very bold play for a team with as weak an offense as ours and would make for another gaping hole to fill.

Still it's early in the life of this regime and if it gets us our franchise QB it's politically sellable. This is likely Shady's last year as a workhorse back. He's high mileage and our OL looks suspect. That's a low risk deal for what might be our last stab at a franchise QB for another decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

In what universe is what I said a total rebuild? An aging 30 year RB and a receiver who probably won't be here next year anyway? Exaggerate much?

Run him too he pukes. He can be helpful and have success with our new QB be it AJ or QB X. Gives us a better chance to win.