Historic winter storm continues

Ice bowl 67

39 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

So where's the big storm today? NOTHING! 

It's pushing north up from Ohio Valley.  Some cold behind and north to west.

Got a bunch of rain here.

34 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Any snow reports or ice reports in New York state guys?

Looks like it's in Canada...

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's pushing north up from Ohio Valley.  Some cold behind and north to west.

Got a bunch of rain here.

Looks like it's in Canada...

Its always colder north and northwest, because air flows counterclockwise around a low.

If you imagine a fan, placed sideways, and moving like all weather systems do in the Northern Hemisphere, which is west to east, you can easily see that preceding a low pressure system, which is what causes storms, the wind will be from the south and southeast, keeping temps warm, and providing moisture.

Once the low passes, given the counterclockwise flow, the winds come from the northwest.

Thus the colder temps after a storm. 

Take you index finger.

Point at your monitor and move your index finger in a counterclockwise motion, going left to right.

That's how it works.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Its always colder north and northwest, because air flows counterclockwise around a low.

If you imagine a fan, placed sideways, and moving like all weather systems do in the Northern Hemisphere, which is west to east, you can easily see that preceding a low pressure system, which is what causes storms, the wind will be from the south and southeast, keeping temps warm, and providing moisture.

Once the low passes, given the counterclockwise flow, the winds come from the northwest.

Thus the colder temps after a storm. 

Take you index finger.

Point at your monitor and move your index finger in a counterclockwise motion, going left to right.

That's how it works.

Yep... We are do for some cold precip... Maybe a little snow.

On that backside...

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

As for that video, "beauty, eh?"?

The winter of 2014-2015 I worked on a construction project near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, an area noted for brutal winters.  14 days out there, 7 days off between work cycles.  Ironically except for a cold and snowy early November, winter in WNY and Southern Ontario was much colder on average than what Saskatoon experienced that season, along with that massive lake effect snow dump south and east of Buffalo in late November.  

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Johnny Football will be starting QB for the Bills, you figure?

How would Sir Charles feel about this move...you do know JF is white and comes from a wealthy background? I would opt for Chad Kelly....oopps, no that wouldn't work either.

2 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Any snow reports or ice reports in New York state guys?

Minor ice..no power outages.Most church's canceled Masses though.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Last year Buffalo had a very nice spring (which doesn't happen all that often as March and April typically stink). Looks like this is yet another year of winter one day, summer the next day. {sigh}

What are you talking about????  We had a horrible spring last year.  I know because I didn't get out golfing until the first week of May, which is really late for me.  Although this year's spring is even worse.  Horrible weather we have been having. 

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

What are you talking about????  We had a horrible spring last year.  I know because I didn't get out golfing until the first week of May, which is really late for me.  Although this year's spring is even worse.  Horrible weather we have been having. 

I have no idea why you didn't go out.  It was a very nice April here's a link to the daily highs and lows for April, 2017.  Looking at the chart brings tears to my eyes... 50s and 60s most of the month with a 75 on the  26th and an 85 on the 27th.  We should always have such a "terrible" spring. 

(March was a tad sketchier but the second half of the month was very nice!)

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

i don't know specifically about buffalo, but rochester had a much nicer spring last year.  we were outside working on our landscaping on a couple of the march weekends, and this time last year, we had pictures of the kids outside in shorts.  it's been far worse this year in rochester.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have no idea why you didn't go out.  It was a very nice April here's a link to the daily highs and lows for April, 2017.  Looking at the chart brings tears to my eyes... 50s and 60s most of the month with a 75 on the  26th and an 85 on the 27th.  We should always have such a "terrible" spring. 

(March was a tad sketchier but the second half of the month was very nice!)

definitely.  last year was nice.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know specifically about buffalo, but rochester had a much nicer spring last year.  we were outside working on our landscaping on a couple of the march weekends, and this time last year, we had pictures of the kids outside in shorts.  it's been far worse this year in rochester.

Last year in Virginia the spring weather was odd.  It was dry, mild to warm and had one or two cold snaps that messed with the budding plants. 

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Last year in Virginia the spring weather was odd.  It was dry, mild to warm and had one or two cold snaps that messed with the budding plants. 

i didn't appreciate how nice of a spring we had until this year.  the bull **** weather just won't stop.  i was outside with my daughter on friday for about 90 mins, and it might have been my longest stretch outside since november.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

85 saturday, 45 Sunday, 43 today.

!@#$ this.

Come on!  Nut up Snoflake.  This is the hardy North.  You wanna move to Lazy South.

No room for quitters.

It's why we won the war... Hard working, industrious, perseverance... :lol:

It's April, the daffodils are in bloom.  Like climbing Mt. Everest.  You don't throw your tent and sleeping bag off the mountain in order to lighten your load when you are only 100 yards from the summit.