Historic winter storm continues

Ice bowl 67

2 hours ago, teef said:

i didn't appreciate how nice of a spring we had until this year.  the bull **** weather just won't stop.  i was outside with my daughter on friday for about 90 mins, and it might have been my longest stretch outside since november.

I hear that.    The benefit for me was my winter heating bill last season was at it's peak for 2 months ...   I'm about to pay my 4th $300 electricity bill.  

I know I know quit bitching ... $300 is low

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I hear that.    The benefit for me was my winter heating bill last season was at it's peak for 2 months ...   I'm about to pay my 4th $300 electricity bill.  

???

That's astronomical!

I pay about 1/2 that and it gets to below zero here.  And I will set to 70° at times.

And no, I don't live in a cardboard box... But have a 20 year old furance (not high efficiency).

$300 bucks?  What are you heating, the Taj Mahal? You said electric, that's the problem!  Can you heat with gas, propane, etc... Hell, heat with coal, your heating bill will be $300 for TWO winters in Va.! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I assume they do a split on that,  part for electricity and part for the delivery.  If so I would like to know the percentage of each.

On 4/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, /dev/null said:

amateur, Erie got almost that much on Christmas

Yes and I dodged it driving thru Erie Christmas eve,

23 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Minor ice..no power outages.Most church's canceled Masses though.

I remember going to church in Blasdell during one of big blizzards.

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

It's another beautiful day down here on the top of the South Island.  (The mountains got their first snowfall of the year, last week.)

I really want visit NZ someday.

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Last year in Virginia the spring weather was odd.  It was dry, mild to warm and had one or two cold snaps that messed with the budding plants. 

My wife had to do her planting twice last year.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have no idea why you didn't go out.  It was a very nice April here's a link to the daily highs and lows for April, 2017.  Looking at the chart brings tears to my eyes... 50s and 60s most of the month with a 75 on the  26th and an 85 on the 27th.  We should always have such a "terrible" spring. 

(March was a tad sketchier but the second half of the month was very nice!)

Okay it was a lot warmer than this year but we had over twice as much rain as we normally do & I remember the golf courses & the baseball diamonds were soaked(my son plays travel baseball/school baseball).  I remember all 5 of his travel games scheduled were cancelled.  I wouldn't really call that a nice spring although yes it was nicer than this year.  And actually if you count the snow we got we had 9 inches of precipitation in the month of April, normal for April is a touch over 3 inches.  Yeah it was a great spring last year.  :lol: 

Edited by Gordio

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this stuff is all relative though.  we actually have cheap electric, (no gas in the house other than propane to run our stove and fireplace) because our suburb has it's own power company.  i've heated our pool constantly all summer, and kept the ac on both upstairs and downstairs, and the bills are 150-180.  it's great...until this winter.  apparently it was so cold for so long, they had to buy energy from another source.  it was shockingly expensive.  this year just sucks.

37 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Okay it was a lot warmer than this year but we had over twice as much rain as we normally do & I remember the golf courses & the baseball diamonds were soaked(my son plays travel baseball/school baseball).  I remember all 5 of his travel games scheduled were cancelled.  I wouldn't really call that a nice spring although yes it was nicer than this year.  And actually if you count the snow we got we had 9 inches of precipitation in the month of April, normal for April is a touch over 3 inches.  Yeah it was a great spring last year.  :lol: 

yeah...it was.  i'll take some rain over the drawn out cold and darkness any day of the week.  

2 hours ago, teef said:

this stuff is all relative though.  we actually have cheap electric, (no gas in the house other than propane to run our stove and fireplace) because our suburb has it's own power company.  i've heated our pool constantly all summer, and kept the ac on both upstairs and downstairs, and the bills are 150-180.  it's great...until this winter.  apparently it was so cold for so long, they had to buy energy from another source.  it was shockingly expensive.  this year just sucks.

yeah...it was.  i'll take some rain over the drawn out cold and darkness any day of the week.  

As would I but it wasn't a very nice spring last year either.  It was very wet. 

On 4/16/2018 at 3:40 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

You must go balls to the wall on Christmas lights?

On 4/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

???

That's astronomical!

I pay about 1/2 that and it gets to below zero here.  And I will set to 70° at times.

And no, I don't live in a cardboard box... But have a 20 year old furance (not high efficiency).

$300 bucks?  What are you heating, the Taj Mahal? You said electric, that's the problem!  Can you heat with gas, propane, etc... Hell, heat with coal, your heating bill will be $300 for TWO winters in Va.! 

That’s cheap compared to other places I’ve lived. 

Only $160 a month for summer air conditioning. 

No natural gas where I live unless you want a tank buried in your yard.