Historic winter storm continues

Ice bowl 67

39 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesnt this happen all the time... Probably,  5 times here this season.  Ice is worse than 20' of snow.  My old Jeep is brutal... Doors won't shut until I get it in garage and heat... :lol:

For ice scraper... Use a round plastic bowl... Like a sturdy Tupperware. Put opening on windows and whirl away!

Here is commercial versions:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Look at bright side.  You can park vehicles on street at night past tommorrow.  Well at least how it was in S Cheektowaga growing up. 11/15 to 4/15, no street parking.

That rule is as old as the hills... And looks like still works, after tomorrow, temps moderate, get warmer for the haul.

Here... It's 2" or more, no street parking.

What is the worst ice storm or snowstorm that you guys have seen over there?

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look at bright side.  You can park vehicles on street at night past tommorrow.  Well at least how it was in S Cheektowaga growing up. 11/15 to 4/15, no street parking.

That rule is as old as the hills... And looks like still works, after tomorrow, temps moderate, get warmer for the haul.

Here... It's 2" or more, no street parking.

What is the worst winter you have seen down in Illinois?

Just follow the jet stream.

In late March and April it really moves, sometimes many hundreds of miles in a week.

It forms a boundary as the Canadian and Arctic try to warm up.

North of it is cold, south is warm. 

Look at it today.http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

Strong low in the northern central portion of the country.

Guess where the bad weather is?

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

2013-2014.  We had about 80".

Cold... I'd say: 1994

Heat: 1995

I remember 96 being really bad up here. Maybe your thinking of that year down there too? Your right about 95. We had a 107 degree day in Green Bay that year! My Aunt and Uncle got married that year and I just remember the entire summer seemed sunny, Hot and dry. Then we had a really bad winter that got cold in early November and dragged on tell into May. 

I also remember a winter where we had not a drop of snow on the ground tell January 31st. I have pictures of the bare ground and we never got any snow up until that point. I would say that was 2002.

17 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

I remember 96 being really bad up here. Maybe your thinking of that year down there too? Your right about 95. We had a 107 degree day in Green Bay that year! My Aunt and Uncle got married that year and I just remember the entire summer seemed sunny, Hot and dry. Then we had a really bad winter that got cold in early November and dragged on tell into May. 

No.  1994 was bad.  I had an RA flare.  Very cold, then I was running around in rain around Groundhog day... Went downhill month of February/March and then slow climb out starting in April.

Probably worse, but that flare sticks in my mind... Then married @ end of May.  Wife got every test on me imaginable before she closed the sale.  Low grade fevers didn't burn out till September of that year.  Honeymoon in British Columbia/Alberta in June did wonders! :D

She should have had the psych e v a l... I guess she can still get a Church annulment, her Ace being held to get out of deal. :lol: Shrewd lady!

1992 here was not cool either.  Shoveling snow @ Work November 1st... Only time I ever got stuck car in snow was March of 1993...  

February 1994 was Olympics.  Fiance was driving up from Champaign... Normally 2 hour drive... Took her 10 hours or so.  The State police kept closing I-57...Losing road... She couldn't turn back to Champaign/Urbana because storm was moving north, she "crossed the Rubicon"'... All hotels, no-vacancy.  I was up here, she only went off road once, but bounced into snow drift and went back on road... Providence! 0:)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have a sister in Appleton, WI. They are both retired. She has lived there 23 years and I’ve never been up to visit. My parents were by me, so she always came to me....and resents that I never go there. Until this year....when the Bills play the Packers! 

They complain about the weather, but it’s very affordable living. Both their daughters have moved near us and our mother in Atlanta. The kids may be the thing to move them south, since the weather never broke them. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  1994 was bad.  I had an RA flare.  Very cold, then I was running around in rain around Groundhog day... Went downhill month of February/March and then slow climb out starting in April.

Probably worse, but that flare sticks in my mind... Then married @ end of May.  Wife got every test on me imaginable before she closed the sale.  Low grade fevers didn't burn out till September of that year.  Honeymoon in British Columbia/Alberta in June did wonders! :D

She should have had the psych e v a l... I guess she can still get a Church annulment, her Ace being held to get out of deal. :lol: Shrewd lady!

1992 here was not cool either.  Shoveling snow @ Work November 1st... Only time I ever got stuck car in snow was March of 1993...  

February 1994 was Olympics.  Fiance was driving up from Champaign... Normally 2 hour drive... Took her 10 hours or so.  The State police kept closing I-57...Losing road... She couldn't turn back to Champaign/Urbana because storm was moving north, she "crossed the Rubicon"'... All hotels, no-vacancy.  I was up here, she only went off road once, but bounced into snow drift and went back on road... Providence! 0:)

Sounds like that was a tough year for ya. Ouch. Was it really cold too?

21 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Sounds like that was a tough year for ya. Ouch. Was it really cold too?

January... I wanna say stretch in in the below zero teens, actual temps.  Ice was bad at work, when we didn't have bubblers, we'd have to chip by hand.

River project depth is 9 feet deep. Was like a "Slurpee" top of water to bottom.  So bad, the big horsepower Southern boats make their way up from The Gulf.  Took a 5,000hp boat to back in, with his wheels washing, to make it through blanket of ice... Hours working it... What normally takes 10 minutes.

Coldest I felt was 2008, Baraboo, WI... Actual temp  was almost -30°F... I wanna say 2008, or was it 2007?  That was when GB lost to Giants... 2008?

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

amateur, Erie got almost that much on Christmas

I know!  They were freaking here.  Got about 10 million people between WI, IL, IN, and they were freaking out.

Bad thing is, too damn flat.  Can have no snow on road, then a 6 foot drift.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Stay safe... Better you guys than here.

0:)

(Is there still ice on Green Bay?)

Yes but not that much. We didn't have any snow on the ground in March. Then the last week of March we have been pounded into oblivion.

3 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

What is the worst ice storm or snowstorm that you guys have seen over there?

What is the worst winter you have seen down in Illinois?

A few years ago in December we had a bad one in Toronto that kept half the homes without hydro for two weeks, Ice is the worst

my co-op was fine, some coworkers stayed st home in the cold dark for days on end

• Like (+1) 1