Not sure why people think Mayfield can’t fall to 12

Bakin

Yeah, he can fall to 12.  But that very phrasing is exactly why we need to trade up in the draft.

A lot of things can happen with these QBs, but one thing is for sure, we absolutely need to draft a QB in this draft as we only have 2 QBs on our roster.  And on top of that, I don't think any sane person would call Peterman or McCarron our future Franchise QB, so we should be doing everything we can to get one.  We have more draft capital than maybe we've ever had.

Now is the time.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Dolphins have been very public about their affinity for Baker.  Gase isn't afraid of QBs with big personalities.  He's not falling to 12.

Either that or a giant smokescreen.  Either way, I think we have to jump Miami to be safe.  Baker is better than what Miami currently has.  

1 hour ago, Pre1236 said:

If he starts to slide - by that I mean not picked in the 1st 5 - then some team may jump up and grab him, which would be dreadful. I don't think the bills can sit at 12 and expect him to be there.

I agree.  I think he could slide to 12, but we cannot take that risk if we could otherwise have him.  

59 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

You are right.  I just remember the "Dolphins decided to go in a different direction after Bills loss" thread, but there are numerous quotes from Gase and Ross they aren't rebuilding (they are just getting rid of all their talented players).

But that's just the dolphins being the dolphins. Overpaying for washed up vets and then getting rid of them a couple years later. That's the Ross/Tannebaum way. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I get why people think that Mayfield in NY makes sense, but I don't think Mayfield makese sense for Bowels and the GM (cant recall the name) who are desperate to win and don't want to risk any distractions. Their best bet is a safe prospect who the media can't get too much mileage out of. Just my opinion. I also do not think the trade up makes sense if Mayfield is the target. 

Holy cow Mayfield can mess up our bowels?

2 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

Mayfield will not fall to #12.  You need to read between the lines and connect data points.  I will go very slow.   #1) The NFL is a quarterback league.  Without a QB, you cannot could win  consistently.  2) We made the trades for draft capital.  It is not very often a team has two 1s, two 2s and two 3s.  We have 40 million in dead cap money and we are going all in for a QB this year, period.  Like it or not.  3) The Jets were in the same boat, they made the move, we should have.  4) The Patriots traded Cooks for more trade capital and are currently negotiating with the Browns for their #4.  They are looking for Brady's eventual replacement and they are great at identifying QBs  (Bledosoe, Brady, Jimmy, etc ) they are trading up. 5) Sources are reporting we are in talks with the Giants and Browns.  We are getting one of the top 4 QBs this year.  5) We would love Darnold but he is going to the browns.  6) Our top rated qb after that is Allen and then Mayfield. 7) If we cannot move up to #4 and those 4 qb are taken, we will draft a LB at 12 and Mason Rudoplh at 22.  That is their current plan.

4) Don't forget Mallett, and Cassell

If he can or can learn to execute from the pocket he could be the next Drew Brees.

I don't know if he can do that TBH. To a team that doubts that he can he should be graded mid-first not top 10 IMO. If you think he can develop as a pocket passer then he's in the discussion for top 5 value wise for sure.

Thing is experience indicates that there is only one Drew Brees. He is a tough kid but not the athlete Wilson is either.