Beane Bad Player Relations ?

1 minute ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

It's been said Gettleman had bad player relations in Carolina do we see the same things starting to happen here with Beane now?

This is an interesting point, I just think he is bias towards his guys. I think it makes sense to keep a hard line in negotiations. It's not all cumbaya, but I'm sick of overpaying out hometown average players who we think are so great. Hopefully the Chris Kelsays and Eric Woods of the world are officially gone. It is a business first and they are only going to keep guys who fit and they don't seem willing to overpay. I don't think it is a bad thing but you do have to live on a fine line. 

• Like (+1) 1

It was also said that things got drastically worse in Carolina after Beane left because Beane was the bridge between Gettleman and the players. 

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/how-losing-brandon-beane-may-have-played-role-panthers-firing-gm-dave-gettleman

According to the Observer, Beane, known to have a personality that allowed him to talk to and get along with players, coaches, and front office personnel, was a nice buffer between them and the blunt and less personable Gettleman.

Once that buffer was gone, according to the report in the Observer, it “put further strain on some of Gettleman’s work relationships.”

New Bills running back Mike Tolbert, who spent five years with the Panthers, agreed that Beane’s personality fit well with the locker room.

“Without a doubt,” he said in the report. “As players we all love Beane. We all love being around him. He’s part of the reason we did what we did. I’m happy to have him in Buffalo now, I can tell you that much.”

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

It's been said Gettleman had bad player relations in Carolina do we see the same things starting to happen here with Beane now?

Why because a 34 year old guard most likely roided up. Claiming his liver and kidneys shutting down, signed an adjusted contract his agent put in place , got ticked off weeks later and retired? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Great point, I was going to post something like this earlier today but I didn’t want to face the potential backlash. I don’t think that he has poor people skills, I believe that he is more hardnose when it comes to negotiating contracts and financial structures. In the long run it might not be a bad thing but in the present fans and players may not like it.

DeBartolo and the Niners made it work (he called it the "family) RESULT: 4 Lombardis......Steelers & the Rooneys made it work..RESULT: 6 Lombardis......Kraft and the Pats made it work..RESULT: 5 Lombardis.....sorry but you can only go so far with some of these divas before as McNair said, "the inmates are running the asylum"......Grandma cclled it "tough love"....if McBeane pisses everybody and gets ONE Lombardi before I head to Hell's Kitchen, mission accomplished IMO.......

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

DeBartolo and the Niners made it work (he called it the "family) RESULT: 4 Lombardis......Steelers & the Rooneys made it work..RESULT: 6 Lombardis......Kraft and the Pats made it work..RESULT: 5 Lombardis.....sorry but you can only go so far with some of these divas before as McNair said, "the inmates are running the asylum"......Grandma cclled it "tough love"....if McBeane pisses everybody and gets ONE Lombardi before I head to Hell's Kitchen, mission accomplished IMO.......

The best friend Beane can be to a player and the player's agent is to provide an honest assessment of their value every year.  Whether the player and agent choose to listen is up to them. 

Richie was clearly not considered a highly valued piece anymore...and the O-line was more bad than good last year.   Taylor's escapability and running prowess hid a lot of flaws.  He just is not the passing game asset that was needed. 

There will be a couple of picks and more work in post-draft free agency to improve this area.  There is depth at the interior OL positions in the draft and that will cause vet cuts post draft...I love Richie but this $4 million plus in space will be put to good use.

One guy retires because he's concerned his internal organs are damaged.  One guy retires because of a spinal condition making it too dangerous to play.  And those mean the GM is anti-player.

Is there some way this site infects the brains of some with bad acid or something?

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, JoeF said:

The best friend Beane can be to a player and the player's agent is to provide an honest assessment of their value every year.  Whether the player and agent choose to listen is up to them. 

Richie was clearly not considered a highly valued piece anymore...and the O-line was more bad than good last year.   Taylor's escapability and running prowess hid a lot of flaws.  He just is not the passing game asset that was needed. 

There will be a couple of picks and more work in post-draft free agency to improve this area.  There is depth at the interior OL positions in the draft and that will cause vet cuts post draft...I love Richie but this $4 million plus in space will be put to good use.

...certainly agree....this organization gave him another chance, first after he couldn't wait to get the hell outta here after they signed him from the Rams for one year and then after the Miami mess....unofficial blackball probably cost him easily $2+ mil.....hated the signing, doubting he could turn it around and he did which I term a win-win.....McBeane didn't offer him a pay cut without expecting the worst and NOT having a plan in place.....this would have been his last year anyway........onward and upward..........

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is an interesting point, I just think he is bias towards his guys. I think it makes sense to keep a hard line in negotiations. It's not all cumbaya, but I'm sick of overpaying out hometown average players who we think are so great. Hopefully the Chris Kelsays and Eric Woods of the world are officially gone. It is a business first and they are only going to keep guys who fit and they don't seem willing to overpay. I don't think it is a bad thing but you do have to live on a fine line. 

Eric Wood was one of the better centers in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Best Player Available said:

Why because a 34 year old guard most likely roided up. Claiming his liver and kidneys shutting down, signed an adjusted contract his agent put in place , got ticked off weeks later and retired? 

Liver and kidneys screamed substance abuse of some sort to me when I read it. That said, I wish him well and he has a nice life away from football.

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Liver and kidneys screamed substance abuse of some sort to me when I read it. That said, I wish him well and he has a nice life away from football.

...perhaps the timing of his announcement, citing those health concerns (don't they undergo an extensive post season physical??) right after his pay cut and agent firing make everything highly suspect IMO......and quite frankly, we will NEVER know.............moving on.............

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Eric Wood was one of the better centers in the NFL.

This is a common misconception and simply not true. I'd place him, maybe in the top 20 of centers. He was a pretty average player, maybe slightly above average center making top ten center money. He's been okay but definitely overpaid. Very overrated by fans. 

• Like (+1) 3