Jets likely to release Hackenberg and Petty

I kind of figured one or both were gone the minute they signed both McCown and Bridgewater. 

Pretty crazy that Maccagnan drafted a QB at #51 overall and will now cut him 2 years later without him ever having seen the field... 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

On this issue your eyes will never meet my eyes. I don't care how hideously incompetent the current Jet regime is. The bigger mistake for them would be not to try. The Bills organization prior to this regime are a model of what not to do rather than what to do. Their failure, as incompetent as they have historically been, is not to be aggressive on addressing the qb issue. 

While you condemn the Jets for their aggressive action to move up in the draft I salute them. You and I are riding different buses that are going to different destinations. I'm sitting comfortably in my seat because I know I am on the right bus. :)

I don’t condemn them for trading up. I absolutely believe that is the best way to secure a QB. I condemn them for trusting guys that can’t identify QBs to make one of the biggest decisions their franchise has made. That same guy used a 2nd on Hackenberg!! They honestly would have been better off not picking a guy and forfeiting their 2nd round pick. They’d have saved some money anyways. Drafting a guy that is never active on game day doesn’t deserve an “A” for effort. There are no participation trophies. These guys don’t get paid to take swings. They get paid to get hits. 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t condemn them for trading up. I absolutely believe that is the best way to secure a QB. I condemn them for trusting guys that can’t identify QBs to make one of the biggest decisions their franchise has made. That same guy used a 2nd on Hackenberg!! They honestly would have been better off not picking a guy and forfeiting their 2nd round pick. They’d have saved some money anyways. Drafting a guy that is never active on game day doesn’t deserve an “A” for effort. There are no participation trophies. These guys don’t get paid to take swings. They get paid to get hits. 

The Jet GM blundering on multiple qb decisions doesn't rise to the level of peculiar decision-making that the Bills made when they hired the loquacious Rex. That blunder set this franchise back by years. We are still digging out of that deep hole. I'm not quarreling with your position that the Jet GM made glaring mistakes. That's obvious and fair to criticize. But it is unfair to criticize the same GM when he seems to be making a bold strategic move to address a position that desperately needs addressing, at least for the long haul.  

I'm certainly not rating Maccagnan as one of the premier GMs in the league. He's not. However, where I will give him credit is that he is not afraid to move on from his mistakes. The person who you should be more critical of is the owner. It starts at the top. The owner/boss hired him and has kept him on. That's where the heart of the problem lies. When you make a bad hire it reverberates throughout the organization and the effects linger. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I kind of figured one or both were gone the minute they signed both McCown and Bridgewater. 

Pretty crazy that Maccagnan drafted a QB at #51 overall and will now cut him 2 years later without him ever having seen the field... 

It's amazing. How could a guy possibly be that bad? So bad that they wouldn't play him at all? He was a three year starter at Penn State and a five star recruit. It's really amazing and strange that he is that terrible. 

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t fault them for drafting them (well, a little) but I do fault them for not playing them. Hack was a 2nd rd pick and never took a snap in 2 years. 2 years of which there were a lot of meaningless snaps to be had. It was the perfect situation to evaluate him. And they stuck with the old guys Fitz and McCown. You can’t draft guys and never really take your swing. 

Yeah, they did the "hard part" by drafting them.  Organizationally, their handling of them gets an F.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Jet GM blundering on multiple qb decisions doesn't rise to the level of peculiar decision-making that the Bills made when they hired the loquacious Rex. That blunder set this franchise back by years. We are still digging out of that deep hole. I'm not quarreling with your position that the Jet GM made glaring mistakes. That's obvious and fair to criticize. But it is unfair to criticize the same GM when he seems to be making a bold strategic move to address a position that desperately needs addressing, at least for the long haul.  

I'm certainly not rating Maccagnan as one of the premier GMs in the league. He's not. However, where I will give him credit is that he is not afraid to move on from his mistakes. The person who you should be more critical of is the owner. It starts at the top. The owner/boss hired him and has kept him on. That's where the heart of the problem lies. When you make a bad hire it reverberates throughout the organization and the effects linger. 

We are certainly in agreement here. Rex was the wrong guy at the wrong time. That Bills team had talent in 2015 and was heading in the right direction. He was a disaster. I also agree that it starts with ownership. It is on the owner’s to get it right.

Good post!!

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

We are certainly in agreement here. Rex was the wrong guy at the wrong time. That Bills team had talent in 2015 and was heading in the right direction. He was a disaster. I also agree that it starts with ownership. It is on the owner’s to get it right.

Good post!!

The Marrone departure was damaging not only from a coaching standpoint but from an organizational standpoint. Although Whaley and Marrone were a mismatched combo if Marrone would have stayed Whaley would have gotten him the players he wanted. The irony is Whaley, maybe to a fault, did his best to get the players the HC wanted for his system. In my opinion he deferred to an outdated and unmotivated Rex who was playing out the string of a last contract. 

We all give credit to McDermott for getting his team to play above its talent level. He deserves it. But Marrone also got his team to play hard and play within itself. This team was on an upward trajectory when he left. The Bills were on their way to moving up the ranks. Then the Rex stupidity factor clicked in and the team went back to the starting blocks. 

What gives me optimism is that the organization is now aligned from top to bottom. There is a synchronization that hasn't existed since the Polian era. That doesn't mean that there won't be mistakes and set backs because mistakes are an inescapable part of the business. This goes back to the discussion of the Jets and how an owner structures and staffs an organization. In that respect the Bills are in a good situation.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here is why I post such nonsense. First and foremost because the Jets suck and i like to make fun of them. But more importantly the same regime who drafted these two clowns - one in the 2nd rd- that have been so bad they’ve had them locked in the basement rather than play them over Papa McCown even while eliminated from the playoffs in October - are also drafting another QB this year who they are using a top 10 pick plus 3 second round picks on.

But, but, but ... we must trade all our picks this year and next to make sure we are ahead of them .... even if it means trading significantly more than they did to move up.  WE deserve that right this year.

《Sarc》

• Like (+1) 1