Jump to content
YoloinOhio

Bills going to LA to visit and workout Sam Darnold

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Want more? Mary Kay Cabot believes teams in the top 5 are actually competing with each other on the Bills trade down because they want 12 and 22 in this draft. With the QBs going high there are going to be elite talent pushed down and she believes Dorsey wants to get his QB, DB and LT all in the 1st this year  which he can do by trading with the Bills. She thinks the Bills actually have leverage.

 

I love this and I tend to believe it. if you don't want a quarterback, having 12 and 22 in a class with about 50-60 really good players and about 20-25'true first rounders is better than having one pick. 

 

The key is, it has to be a team who doesn't want a quarterback, and that is 50 million dollar quaestion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

 

I love this and I tend to believe it. if you don't want a quarterback, having 12 and 22 in a class with about 50-60 really good players and about 20-25'true first rounders is better than having one pick. 

 

The key is, it has to be a team who doesn't want a quarterback, and that is 50 million dollar quaestion. 

100 million dollar question in 4 years...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Want more? Mary Kay Cabot believes teams in the top 5 are actually competing with each other on the Bills trade down because they want 12 and 22 in this draft. With the QBs going high there are going to be elite talent pushed down and she believes Dorsey wants to get his QB, DB and LT all in the 1st this year  which he can do by trading with the Bills. She thinks the Bills actually have leverage.

 

This is why I said you play tough ball with the Giants.  You let them know hey, we've scouted all the QB's.  Sell it that we'd be happy with either.  We can make a deal with Cleveland at 4 and be happy with who we'd select there.  It's up to you guys honestly.  We have a price, we can up it a little.  You can accept it or we'll just make a deal with Cleveland.  We'll still get either Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or YUK Allen hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

With each of these QBs the justification to sell the farm could be made and lived with.  But each one has something that would make you take a breath (some deeper than others) when you send that Farm to New York.

 

Accept for possibly Darnold.

We except that! 😉

Edited by gobills1212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ya know what was insane that I heard today was Colin Cowherd propose in a mock draft (he called it his dream draft) that the Patriots trade up to #1 and draft Darnold.  But the insane part was the price: Two 2018 late 1st round picks, two 2018 late 2nd round picks and the Patriots' 2019 1st round pick.

 

That's absolutely nuts.

 

If that's all it costs to move up to #1, I hope Beane offers that up to Cleveland today to ensure drafting the QB he covets the most.

 

 

 

He’s not someone you should be taking serious. Any chance to bring up the Patriots and he’ll do it. It’s absurd to believe the Patriots have enough to get to #10 let alone the first overall pick lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

 

He’s not someone you should be taking serious. Any chance to bring up the Patriots and he’ll do it. It’s absurd to believe the Patriots have enough to get to #10 let alone the first overall pick lol

 

I don't take him seriously... I'm actually flabbergasted at some of the ridiculous things he says.

 

But not a lot of options at the time I drive to work with talk radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally, I'd say this is all a smokescreen because Darnold is by far the better prospect. But, this is Cleveland we're talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be just to escape the crappy April weather here and vacation in LA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

200w.gif

 

which is why they are taking Barkley at one and Jackson at four :devil:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The perspective on this from Browns media is that this is smart of the Bills to try to flush out the Browns pick before trading to 2. The reasoning is that it’s very late in the #process for a full blown workout. They want to make sure the Browns take him at 1 so the Giants guy is gone and their trade goes through.  The Browns can try to stop the workout by giving Darnold a confidential promise that he’s going 1 and not to risk injury by working out for the Bills. Then the Bills know he’s the first pick and can know 2 is viable.

 

thoughts?

 

There is no way a QB gets injured in a pre-daft workout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

I don't take him seriously... I'm actually flabbergasted at some of the ridiculous things he says.

 

But not a lot of options at the time I drive to work with talk radio.

 

Just listen to the Dan LeBatard show. They don't take themselves serious and just have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Greg Robinson

Larry Tunsil

 

Both rated higher than Sam Darnold - and not by a little bit. They were ranked nearly a 7.5, and it's not a linear scale. It's damned hard to be a 7.5.

Neither one has been worth the ranking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Greg Robinson

Larry Tunsil

 

Both rated higher than Sam Darnold - and not by a little bit. They were ranked nearly a 7.5, and it's not a linear scale. It's damned hard to be a 7.5.

Neither one has been worth the ranking. 

What does that have to do with Darnold’s draft profile 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade up to 1 with browns with a deal in place that browns will then use 1 of our picks to trade up from 4 to 2 to select Allen. Then Giants only move back 2 spots and likely still get their first nonqb player off board. Everyone wins 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Greg Robinson

Larry Tunsil

 

Both rated higher than Sam Darnold - and not by a little bit. They were ranked nearly a 7.5, and it's not a linear scale. It's damned hard to be a 7.5.

Neither one has been worth the ranking. 

Both of them were heavily overrated coming out of college, and I think Darnold is overrated as well - particularly as the #1, overall draft in the NFL.

There is no real history of any player having his background, with substantial success in the NFL. In fact, contrary to Pro Bowl abilities a 2 year starter that regressed in his second year historically has been someone you should shun.

I realize I'm alone on this, but there are combination of traits that make Darnold particularly dangerous that you can't say about players like Rosen and Mayfield. Can he be good? Maybe in 2021. Maybe.

Not #1 overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't shake that I feel Darnold will be a huge bust in the NFL. I'm not just talking about the turnovers and things like that that media pundits constantly harp on. First he reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Part of it is probably the same number (14) but they also have the same movements in the pocket, the scrambling, the throwing motion etc. 

 

On top of that when I go back and watch his tape, his best throws are always and I mean always in the middle of the field or he boots to one side and throws to that side of the field. You very rarely see a Deep Out across the field or a deep comeback where he isn't booting. Just go back and watch all of his best throws against Penn State in the Rose Bowl. Did USC know something that people in the NFL don't know. Does he lack arm strength to make those throws? 

 

Just a talking point that I can't seem to shake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Both of them were heavily overrated coming out of college, and I think Darnold is overrated as well - particularly as the #1, overall draft in the NFL.

There is no real history of any player having his background, with substantial success in the NFL. In fact, contrary to Pro Bowl abilities a 2 year starter that regressed in his second year historically has been someone you should shun.

I realize I'm alone on this, but there are combination of traits that make Darnold particularly dangerous that you can't say about players like Rosen and Mayfield. Can he be good? Maybe in 2021. Maybe.

Not #1 overall.

 

Nobody thought Greg Robinson and Tunsil were going to bust. Robert Gallery was the safest player in the draft a few years ago and he busted. Same with Aaron Curry. None of these things have anything to do with the other, and certainly have nothing to do with Darnold. 

 

That said, I don't love Darnold, but everything he does is very projectable to the NFL.  The plays he makes and teh throws he makes are some next level stuff. The turnovers are a problem, but that is one of those things that can actually be improved. The guy is only 20 years old, and I think one of the reasons we are seeing guys who we can say "there is no history of success for his type" is because dudes are starting as true freshmen, and college teams are changing OC's every year. Josh Rosen had three different offensive coordinators in three years. 

 

Back in the day, and even pretty recent history, almost everyone took a redshirt year, and there was not so much coaching turnover. Darnold took a redshirt year, but really only played for two seasons. Additionally, he only started one season in High school. We are talking about a guy with a true lack of experience, but a lot of talent. Conversely, people like Mason Rudolph because he seems more mature and ready...he's 22 going on 23 years old and started for basically 3.5 years. Ofcourse he is more mature. But at the end of the day, he doesn't have the athletic ability or arm talent as what he does well is not really projectable. Baker Mayfield turns 23 next week and is a redshirt senior who has basically 4 years of starting experience at two different schools. The difference between a 23 year old and a 20 year old is pretty significant. It could be argued that Mayfield and Rudolph don't stand to get much better than what they are right now, whereas Darnold and Rosen are very young and have the size, athletic ability, and arm talent that scouts love. 

 

With quarterbacks it has become much more about projection of skills and talent and that is why it has become riskier than ever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....still don't see McBeane going "all in" draft capital wise on ONE player.......hunch that he holds at 12, and sees which one of the four purported top dawgs fall to him.......if all are gone, he has time until the 22 spot to figure out Plan B......if the dawgs are all gone, he may go OL/DL/LB at 12........perhaps Rudolph is his target at 22......does he take him or gamble he falls into the 2nd, going OL/DL/LB again at 22?......if he gambles on Rudolph falling to 2nd and he's gone, is Falk his next candidate?.......clear as mud IMO.....no matter what, McBeane ends up "damned if he does...damned if he doesn't".........stay tuned........

 

Make sure you tune in EARLY on draft nite and you'll learn how wrong your theory was about McBean not going "ALL IN"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

 

Make sure you tune in EARLY on draft nite and you'll learn how wrong your theory was about McBean not going "ALL IN"...

 

.....usually am.....need to keep my string going......:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Trade up to 1 with browns with a deal in place that browns will then use 1 of our picks to trade up from 4 to 2 to select Allen. Then Giants only move back 2 spots and likely still get their first nonqb player off board. Everyone wins 

 

I know at first it sounds radical but stranger things have and will continue to happen... Have your popcorn ready early cause it may be a wild 1st hour... This sounds like it could be the highest viewed NFL draft nite (at least locally) in memory...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Both of them were heavily overrated coming out of college, and I think Darnold is overrated as well - particularly as the #1, overall draft in the NFL.

There is no real history of any player having his background, with substantial success in the NFL. In fact, contrary to Pro Bowl abilities a 2 year starter that regressed in his second year historically has been someone you should shun.

I realize I'm alone on this, but there are combination of traits that make Darnold particularly dangerous that you can't say about players like Rosen and Mayfield. Can he be good? Maybe in 2021. Maybe.

Not #1 overall.

Some players live up to their draft profile, some outplay it, some don’t live up to it. I was just posting his draft profile. 

 

Darnold isn’t my first choice, because I think he’s too raw for what the Bills need.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

 

... Darnold took a redshirt year, but really only played for two seasons. Additionally, he only started one season in High school. We are talking about a guy with a true lack of experience ...


I understand the idea of the play being projectable - but really, isn't that the entire NFL draft process? Nobody wants a 5'7" player out of NCAA. it just doesn't matter.

But the idea of a player with basically three years of experience in total in his background getting his experience against LeBeau and Belichek? And it's more than that. It's literally his decision making process, what is going through his head. Now we are going to send that decision making process through the stratosphere in terms of speed and you are asking him to learn on the job. I realize the flaws in the comparison but Josh Rosen probably threw more passes in high school than Darnold has in his entire career. 

Can it be done? It gets back to the initial point of projectability. I make the point frequently about muscle memory and that last 1/8 second between your eye/mind/motion. Sam Darnold is going to literally build those synapses in the NFL and perhaps even more risk than Josh Allen. Hey I'm guessing, I get it.

There would have been two components that would have tempered my thought - that Darnold improved dramatically in his second season, and that he already was advanced in his decision making. Instead he regressed somewhat and when his decision making has been there, it's been because of ability and not the decision itself. 

 

Armchair gm here, admittedly. 

Cheers,
Alex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

 

He’s not someone you should be taking serious. Any chance to bring up the Patriots and he’ll do it. It’s absurd to believe the Patriots have enough to get to #10 let alone the first overall pick lol

What if crazy Belichick dangles Brady as trade bait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×