Tragic Story Developing in Saskatchewan 16 of 29 dead in bus crash of Junior A Hockey team

Fadingpain

Man, this is horrible. As a parent of 2 teens who travel a lot with rep sports teams, this really makes you think. Just last night I was waiting for a text from my daughter to say they were almost home (so I could pick her up from the school) from a indoor soccer tournament a couple of hours away in almost blizzard like conditions in a school bus.  I thanked the bus driver when I picked her up. He just winked at me and smiled. when we got home, the first thing I saw was a "breaking news" cut in during the Jays game and it gave me chills!

Such devastating news for these families and the community itself. :cry:

Reminds me of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos crash where 4 players were killed including Lindy Ruff's younger brother Brent. Joe Sakic and Sheldon Kennedy were also on that bus (obviously survived) and the coach was Graham James.  I was a young hockey player at the time and that hit close to home as well. 

Edited by thebug

2 hours ago, thebug said:

Man, this is horrible. As a parent of 2 teens who travel a lot with rep sports teams, this really makes you think. Just last night I was waiting for a text from my daughter to say they were almost home (so I could pick her up from the school) from a indoor soccer tournament a couple of hours away in almost blizzard like conditions in a school bus.  I thanked the bus driver when I picked her up. He just winked at me and smiled. when we got home, the first thing I saw was a "breaking news" cut in during the Jays game and it gave me chills!

Such devastating news for these families and the community itself. :cry:

Reminds me of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos crash where 4 players were killed including Lindy Ruff's younger brother Brent. Joe Sakic and Sheldon Kennedy were also on that bus (obviously survived) and the coach was Graham James.  I was a young hockey player at the time and that hit close to home as well. 

Terribly sad.

I didn't realize you were a fan of the Blue Jay's. They are here playing my Texas Rangers. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Very tragic situation — prayers go out to all who have been impacted..

Same.  Which will run deep through the game. :(

12 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Terribly sad.

I didn't realize you were a fan of the Blue Jay's. They are here playing my Texas Rangers. 

He's also a fan of that "other" hockey team... Why we call him: "The Bug."

Trying to lighten the mood in such a tragic situation... 14... That's almost whole team.:(

• Like (+1) 1

I brought myself to glean what's out there.

Peat moss.  That had to be a full load (weight limit)... Like hitting a bomb! Pretty dense material. One heading west, bus heading north.

These highways w/cross roads are death roads vs. say limited access expressways.

Truck only had stop sign... Probably didn't see bus, took off slow and bus barreled into peat load?

They sent the bus driver for mental help in dealing with this