Tragic Story Developing in Saskatchewan 16 of 29 dead in bus crash of Junior A Hockey team

Fadingpain

44 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Sad. Just watched Babcock's interview, gives yah the feels.

I saw that interview earlier in the day and when Hockey night in Canada replayed it, I had to leave the room. :( 

16 minutes ago, thebug said:

I saw that interview earlier in the day and when Hockey night in Canada replayed it, I had to leave the room. :( 

I cannot fathom what the families, friends and community are going through. Effin heart-breaking. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I brought myself to glean what's out there.

Peat moss.  That had to be a full load (weight limit)... Like hitting a bomb! Pretty dense material. One heading west, bus heading north.

These highways w/cross roads are death roads vs. say limited access expressways.

Truck only had stop sign... Probably didn't see bus, took off slow and bus barreled into peat load?

They sent the bus driver for mental help in dealing with this

You mean truck driver?  I heard it reported that bus driver died - can't see how he would have survived that mess.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

You mean truck driver?  I heard it reported that bus driver died - can't see how he would have survived that mess.

When they can’t release all the names just yet it is a very terrible accident.

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Oops... I meant truck driver.  Yep.  Looks like the whole front of the bus is peeled away.

They said truck driver had stop sign, I wonder if he just didn't see bus gaining on him as he crossed... They are saying "west."

Anyway take a look at that picture... Does it add up?  See where the vehicles ended up, now put the bus going north and truck going west, or even turning west... Does it "add" up??? I cant visualize it.  Looks like both are east of intersection???  Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

Again... Simply wow!  So many dead, bus had to barrel into that load of peat.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

50 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oops... I meant truck driver.  Yep.  Looks like the whole front of the bus is peeled away.

They said truck driver had stop sign, I wonder if he just didn't see bus gaining on him as he crossed... They are saying "west."

Anyway take a look at that picture... Does it add up?  See where the vehicles ended up, now put the bus going north and truck going west, or even turning west... Does it "add" up??? I cant visualize it.  Looks like both are east of intersection???  Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

Again... Simply wow!  So many dead, bus had to barrel into that load of peat.

If the left side of the picture (where the 2 people are standing) is heading west and the bottom right would head north, that would put them north west of the intersection? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebug said:

If the left side of the picture (where the 2 people are standing) is heading west and the bottom right would head north, that would put them north west of the intersection? 

Okay now I can visualize it a bit better.

But, how did bus flip around? Isn't front of bus facing south. Right, pointing to south?

The way the truck is situated has come into clear picture for me how it was impacted.

One heavy, dense load of peat.  Kinda like my visualization of this horrific impact!

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Okay now I can visualize it a bit better.

But, how did bus flip around? Isn't front of bus facing south. Right, pointing to south?

The way the truck is situated has come into clear picture for me how it was impacted.

One heavy, dense load of peat.  Kinda like my visualization of this horrific impact!

My guess would be that the bus driver veered to the left and then the momentum of the trailer did the rest to spin it? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, thebug said:

My guess would be that the bus driver veered to the left and then the momentum of the trailer did the rest to spin it? 

Yep!  Coming into clearer picture now.

Look at those compressed bales of peat, some not even broken.  Had to be like hitting a brick wall.

Peat is light... But when compressed can make it very dense.

Now... That load had to be to road capacity.

The scheist will surely hit the fan if that trucking company was "cheating" and that load was "over."  You know they all do it here & there... Little heavy load there, little heavy load here... Even worse if the Province DOT was looking the other way to promote industry.  Not saying this was true... BUT it will be combed over meticulously by the lawyers!

Notice, something this heinous, they didn't rush to judgement & cite trucker?  Even though he had stop sign... It's a judgement call crossing, right?  Was the bus going too fast?  Kudos, to not rushing to cite one party.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

The  teams athletic therapist and the only female on the bushas just died tonight bringing the death toll to 16 out of 29. She was 25. One survivor is paralyzed from the chest down and recently gave an interview and was in positive spirits saying he will now play sledge hockey now that he can no longer walk. God Bless him.

This has broken the hearts of all us Canadians but we also see how everyone has come together in support of this tragedy. The go fund me campaign for the victims families is now past $9 Million dollars.

All Canadians are leaving a hockey stick on our front step as a symbol of support and tomorrow we are all wearing hockey jerseys in remembrance of the victims.

This is such a tragic story that really hits a lot of us hard. Myself included but at the same time, it also brings us as a country together as one.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

The  teams athletic therapist and the only female on the bushas just died tonight bringing the death toll to 16 out of 29. She was 25. One survivor is paralyzed from the chest down and recently gave an interview and was in positive spirits saying he will now play sledge hockey now that he can no longer walk. God Bless him.

This has broken the hearts of all us Canadians but we also see how everyone has come together in support of this tragedy. The go fund me campaign for the victims families is now past $9 Million dollars.

All Canadians are leaving a hockey stick on our front step as a symbol of support and tomorrow we are all wearing hockey jerseys in remembrance of the victims.

This is such a tragic story that really hits a lot of us hard. Myself included but at the same time, it also brings us as a country together as one.

God bless them all.  It's so horrible.  

• Like (+1) 1

The 16 th death due to this tragic accident yesterday with the passing of the teams 24 year old female trainer . 

The driver of the truck did survive unscathed at least physically . Authorities are investigating as to why this accident did happen and have said it will take time .  

Funerals are beginning today with the teams radio announcer . 

Heartbreaking 

• Like (+1) 1