Video of Kelly being drafted by bills

30 minutes ago, Gigs said:

I used to feel the same way until I moved to SWFL. Sunshine and beautiful women. Why waste your 20s in Buffalo NY when you can party it up and chase women around warmer places, like south Florida, California, Dallas, etc. And he’s rich thanks to playing in the NFL. Why waste that in a dying city?

Where were you 20 years ago? :) 

13 hours ago, #34fan said:

Pssssht!.... Worked out just great... The very last piece was Thurman Thomas... -Then it was on like a mo-fo...

Great memories of great days, hope I see even one-third the value happen again in my lifetime

10 hours ago, PIP said:

First of all who in their right mind drafts a tight end when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino are still on the board. It's kind of crazy to think about that we actually could have drafted Jim Kelly and Dan Marino with 12 and 14th pick

A team that wants a QB/ TE combo to build around, has pick 12 & pick 14 with 2 QBs and one TE they like still on the board. Grab your TE at 12 , then get no worse than Kelly or Marino at 14. Teams just don't take 2 QBs in the 1st round. Only one guy plays. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

On 4/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, Tuco said:

While going to Houston was a nice bonus for JK, make no mistake, the real reason he didn't sign with Buffalo was money, not the weather. Having not only been given his choice of teams (cities) by the USFL, his 5 year Houston contract contained escalators that guaranteed him to be the highest paid quarterback in professional football each of those years. 

That's why he dissed Buffalo.

Yeah can't blame him for that.  I'd lrobablt do the same.Was interesting how the fan base mostly had no beef with Jim from the start. I'd personally be angry for like the first 2 weeks, until I see him slinging it, then it's water under the bridge.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, fansince88 said:

Boy, I love the Kelly Days no doubt. Love the man. Love the QB. If he came straight to Buffalo we may not have seen Bruce Smith

Buffalo was a very bad team back then with back to back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 and Kay Stephenson was the HC.

With no USFL. First off I highly doubt Kelly plays for Buffalo and he holds out for a trade like Elway did. Second, I kinda doubt Kelly as a rookie wins many games for them by himself even if he did commit to play.  Don't forget that first season for Kelly in 86 they went 4-12. It was after the 85 season that Bill Polian came in and things started to turn around. 

Anyway, HoFer DE Chris Doleman went 4th overall to Minnesota. That 85 draft had 5 HoFers in it and that first round was loaded with talent

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Buffalo was a very bad team back then with back to back 2-14 seasons in 84-85 and Kay Stephenson was the HC.

With no USFL. First off I highly doubt Kelly plays for Buffalo and he holds out for a trade like Elway did. Second, I kinda doubt Kelly as a rookie wins many games for them by himself even if he did commit to play.  Don't forget that first season for Kelly in 86 they went 4-12. It was after the 85 season that Bill Polian came in and things started to turn around. 

Anyway, HoFer DE Chris Doleman went 4th overall to Minnesota. That 85 draft had 5 HoFers in it and that first round was loaded with talent

Kelly was at OBD offices ready to sign his NFL contract when the secretary put that fateful call from Bruce Allen through. He was going to play in Buffalo , particularly if there was no USFL. Elway was a very good ballplayer and had the added threat that he could just go play for the Yankees instead of playing football. Kelly had no such leverage. Those kind of moves by college players were not common at the time. 

On 4/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

How did we have the 28? Did we trade for it or have a really good year prior and go all the way to 1 the next

We didn't have the 28.  We had 12 and 14.  14 coming from the Cousineau trade, which came from the OJ trade.  So, OJ got us Kelly. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, #34fan said:

We ended up with a seasoned vet instead of a completely awkward rookie... We also scored a leader of men at HC.. Both happened at just the right time...

You make an excellent point.  In all honesty the best thing to happen to the Bills was that secretary interrupting that meeting & blowing the deal.  Kelly needed those 2 years in the USFL where he learned the finer arts of the passing game, not to mention if he came on board when they drafted him, no way the Bills land the top pick in the draft in 85' which netted us Bruce Smith.  Something to think about. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Nihilarian said:

A few things to add here.

Kelly had severe shoulder separation in his senior season at the U and he needed pins inserted to keep it together. His doctors told him he might not ever have a full throwing motion again and this is a big reason as to why he dropped to #14 otherwise he fights Elway for that #1 spot IMHO. Just think if not for that injury Kansas City might have drafted Kelly instead of Blackledge. 

On another note, it was rumored that Dan Marino was a party animal at Pitt and he smoked weed. This rumor caused him to fall big time. Otherwise, he doesn't drop to #27 and the Patriots or NY Jets could have drafted Marino.

Bills fans need to understand what it was like with Bills owner Ralph Wilson back in the late 1970s, early 1980s with a #1 overall pick in the 1979 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills picked LBer Tom Cousineau and instead he chose to go to Canada rather than play for Buffalo.

The thing is, Buffalo had a complete moron for a GM in Stew Barber at that time and he set up a dinner in Buffalo with Cousineau and his agent and then never showed up. This was the start of bad negotiations and the financial difference came down to 100k. Needless to say that Clouseau was so put off by Barber and his antics he went to play for the Montreal Alouettes.

Jim Kelly saw all this and knew about the Buffalo Bills owners cantankerous, frugal nature and he didn't want to play in obscurity all his career in Buffalo. Which BTW was entering a mass exodus as the city was losing jobs due to the steel mills closing. Speaking of this the city had this color and stench in the air from the Mills. Don't forget this about the same time the love canal hits the national media. Buffalo was the very last place so many NFL players wanted to play for back then.

Bills fans should be so very grateful to Bill Polian who talked Wilson into making Kelly the highest paid QB in the league otherwise he might have held out for a trade. Back then, Raiders owner Al Davis sent Kelly to England with some Raiderettes in hopes of getting Kelly to ask for a trade. 

Let's not forget that the Buffalo Bills had traded "the fireman" QB Daryl Lamonica to the Raiders back in 1967 and he won some games for the Raiders. 

Nice post.  Well done sir.  The one thing I will disagree with though is that Kelly would of competed with Elway for the top spot if he didn't hurt his shoulder.  I don't buy that.  From former GM's to present day GM's I have heard several times that Elway was the best prospect coming out of college they have ever seen.  Noone that year was going to take away the top spot from Elway, & nothing was going to change that, not a shoulder injury to Kelly or rumors about Marino & his party boy habits.  Elway was the pick. 

On 4/7/2018 at 2:39 AM, Doc Brown said:

Bruce Smith with the 1st pick in the '85 draft (Bills went 2-14).  We also were able to get Kent Hull out of the USFL.  Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed wouldn't have been there either with Kelly in '83.

Just think, in the 85' draft bills took Bruce Smith #1, they also had the 14th pick. They used it on CB Derrick Burroughs. 2 picks later the niners took Jerry Rice. Imagine getting Smith and Rice in same draft. We did get Andre Reed in rd 4, so that was some good value.

51 minutes ago, Gordio said:

In all honesty the best thing to happen to the Bills was that secretary interrupting that meeting & blowing the deal.  Kelly needed those 2 years in the USFL where he learned the finer arts of the passing game, not to mention if he came on board when they drafted him, no way the Bills land the top pick in the draft in 85' which netted us Bruce Smith.  Something to think about. . 

Definitely weird how that worked out...

3 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Just think, in the 85' draft bills took Bruce Smith #1, they also had the 14th pick. They used it on CB Derrick Burroughs. 2 picks later the niners took Jerry Rice. Imagine getting Smith and Rice in same draft. We did get Andre Reed in rd 4, so that was some good value.

Yeah.  That would have been nuts.  Would we have still drafted Andre also? Would SF have won those two Superbowls in the late 80's?  Would we have won a Superbowl?  Maybe we'll get it right this draft with two first round picks :) 

• Like (+1) 1