Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

On April 3, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

:blink:

So... The Bills score 3 points vs. JAX in the entire wildcard game, but we're the ones who held THEM?.... R-i-i-i-i-i-ight.

And... JAX won because their 1st round "Franchise Guy" who passed for 75 yards that day just obliterated our secondary... Oooo-kaaay.

It had nothing to do with the six pro-bowlers that came off that #2 ranked, run-suffocating defense....

It's a mere fluke, that in their first 10 games, JAX  held 6 opponents to 9 points or less! ... Okay...

I just have one question: -How does a "better QB" win that wildcard game when MUCH "better QB's" (flacco, Roethlisberger) simply couldn't score against JAX in the early part of the season?  -How much better than those two do you think Josh Rosen is?

Okay, that was two questions... Pick one.

I responded to your post about how bad the Bills defense was. The facts are the facts, the Bills DEFENSE held the Jags to 10 points at home. I said nothing about JAX carving up the Bills secondary. If you actually watched the game, you know the Bills had opportunities to score, and that Tyrod couldn't hit open WRs. A better QB for Buffalo wins that game easily. Bortles  passing was awful , though he did manage to exploit the Bills weakness at DT by scrambling through holes. I don't care about Roethlisbergers bad game in the regular season or Flacco's . Each game is different, and the Jags were ripe  to be upset by BUF if they had even a mediocre passer under Center. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I responded to your post about how bad the Bills defense was. The facts are the facts, the Bills DEFENSE held the Jags to 10 points at home. I said nothing about JAX carving up the Bills secondary. If you actually watched the game, you know the Bills had opportunities to score, and that Tyrod couldn't hit open WRs. A better QB for Buffalo wins that game easily. Bortles  passing was awful , though he did manage to exploit the Bills weakness at DT by scrambling through holes. I don't care about Roethlisbergers bad game in the regular season or Flacco's . Each game is different, and the Jags were ripe  to be upset by BUF if they had even a mediocre passer under Center. 

So... A.J. McCarron could've won that game?

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

So... A.J. McCarron could've won that game?

It's possible. Though I'm not certain he is even mediocre. I'd need more of a body of work than he currently has to determine that. Tyrod only needed to hit four or five key throws that day and couldn't do it. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's possible. Though I'm not certain he is even mediocre. I'd need more of a body of work than he currently has to determine that. Tyrod only needed to hit four or five key throws that day and couldn't do it. 

KEY throws... Not particularly difficult ones... As a starter, McCarron was part of a 4th quarter comeback in the 2015 wildcard that almost beat PIT to advance...

We may have more than we realize in A.J.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

:mellow:If that happens, we're screwed... I'll admit it.... -WASTED pick...-But at least it won't cost us FOUR other picks that MIGHT have worked out very well for us.

We need to Build this team back up... Every. Pick. Counts.

Every pick doesn't count, that's the point.  Let's say we hit on a LB, OG,  and WR.  Then McCarron turns out to be a Matt Cassel type QB?  Now what are you going to do?

I wouldn't presume we're going to or need to give up 4 picks.  Even if we did and we hit on QB, it's worth more than hitting on 3, 4 or 5 other picks.  It's that important, you have to know that.  

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If you look at mean which is the traditional way of ranking NFL defense I accept then yes you could argue the pass defense sucked.  It was actually GOOD in more games than it was bad last year - the issue was when it was bad it was very bad and it led to the 20th overall ranking.  But they took the ball away an awful lot too.  The run D was shocking from the point they traded Dareus after being about average before that.  That is because other than Kyle none of the DTs on last year's roster should be in the NFL in my opinion.  

They brought in a big FA space hog and are turning over a lot of rocks looking for retreads.  That might fill the holes at defensive line.  But they don't have an extra CB to play nickle and have only one starting LB. The rest of the LB are 3rd stringers.   We need help there.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Every pick doesn't count, that's the point.  Let's say we hit on a LB, OG,  and WRThen McCarron turns out to be a Matt Cassel type QB?  Now what are you going to do?

I wouldn't presume we're going to or need to give up 4 picks.  Even if we did and we hit on QB, it's worth more than hitting on 3, 4 or 5 other picks.  It's that important, you have to know that.  

:huh:Wait, -What?

1. How could that ever be the point?.. Why bother picking at all if it doesn't count... Are all picks worth the same? -decidedly not. But who can consistently predict where a generational player will be taken? if you have a good staff that does it's homework, you can find kids that stand a good chance of improving your roster.

2. If we hit on LB, OG, and WR, then that's the beginning of one SOLID foundation... Right now, we look good at RB... If McCarron turns out to be Matt Cassel in that situation, I'm gonna to party like it's 1999!..  Why do you think Cassel keeps getting work? -The guy led the Patriots to an 11-5 season when Brady's ACL blew in 2008.. They're playoff-bound If not for an a-typically ambitious MIA squad..  If McCarron is capable of anything like that, SIGN. ME. UP.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Every pick doesn't count, that's the point.  Let's say we hit on a LB, OG,  and WR.  Then McCarron turns out to be a Matt Cassel type QB?  Now what are you going to do?

No. Thank the Higher Power that you're not the Buffalo Bills GM. You're perfect for the Cleveland Browns team with that line of thought. So what's the point for these franchises to spend nearly millions of dollars each year for scouts and research? There is no point now? Wow. Yes, I read the rest of your post and good lord have mercy. Every pick matters. So you're just going to put a star QB out there playing with third stringers? That equals to Superbowl these days? LOL

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

1. How could that ever be the point?.. Why bother picking at all if it doesn't count... Are all picks worth the same? -decidedly not. But who can consistently predict where a generational player will be taken? if you have a good staff that does it's homework, you can find kids that stand a good chance of improving your roster.

2. If we hit on LB, OG, and WR, then that's the beginning of one SOLID foundation... Right now, we look good at RB... If McCarron turns out to be Matt Cassel in that situation, I'm gonna to party like it's 1999!..  Why do you think Cassel keeps getting work? -The guy led the Patriots to an 11-5 season when Brady's ACL blew in 2008.. They're playoff-bound If not for an a-typically ambitious MIA squad..  If McCarron is capable of anything like that, SIGN. ME. UP.

You have had Matt Cassel as your QB for the past 17 years..but you don't realize it.  

On 4/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

So, um, how many years has failing to field a good NFL-quality QB set the team back?

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

You have had Matt Cassel as your QB for the past 17 years..but you don't realize it.  

This is out of line in so many ways

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, #34fan said:

Ok, that's where we differ than.  You think we can win the superbowl with Matt Cassel, a LB, OG and WR.  I do not.  

If you'd party like it's 1999 for Matt Cassel play - then there's nothing else to talk about.  

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

As you know, we did have Matt Cassel.  He got beat out.  I wonder what 34fan would do if we got a LB, Guard and a WR and traded back for Taylor.  The reaction could be potentially dangerous for his health. 

Edited by White Linen

Some want us to move up so we tank a few years to collect early first round trips and so they continue spewing the venom which they have built over the years. Look at the irrational ranting on Tyrod on how he did not contribute to 9 wins last year - he may not have contributed as much as we have wanted but he certainly contributed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Ok, that's where we differ than.  You think we can win the superbowl with Matt Cassel, a LB, OG and WR.  I do not.   

You know... If you ever find yourself with nothing to offer next time, it's okay to simply sign out.

11 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

No... We've had uncommitted ownership,  sh_tty coaching regimes,  Lousy GM's, and drafts that were by-products of all the aforementioned... The answer isn't drafting a top Quarterback... The answer is building a new foundation on which to place that top quarterback. We can begin that process this month if we don't trade the opportunity away.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, #34fan said:

You know... If you ever find yourself with nothing to offer next time, it's okay to simply sign out.

No... We've had uncommitted ownership,  sh_tty coaching regimes,  Lousy GM's, and drafts that were by-products of all the aforementioned... The answer isn't drafting a top Quarterback... The answer is building a new foundation on which to place that top quarterback. We can begin that process this month if we don't trade the opportunity away.

Calm down,  what's with the sensitivity?  Pretty childish.  We were having a discussion.  

19 hours ago, #34fan said:

:mellow:If that happens, we're screwed... I'll admit it.... -WASTED pick...-But at least it won't cost us FOUR other picks that MIGHT have worked out very well for us.

We need to Build this team back up... Every. Pick. Counts.

But if you don't have a QB you are screwed to the wall. and that is what we have been trying to tell you status quo people that, the time is now.

for trading up for a Quarterback. The QB we get will not play the first year presumably , so there is little chance of injury . 

1 minute ago, Wily Dog said:

But if you don't have a QB you are screwed to the wall. and that is what we have been trying to tell you status quo people that, the time is now.

for trading up for a Quarterback. The QB we get will not play the first year presumably , so there is little chance of injury . 

Look, there will be a QB.  Honest !!  They will have somebody behind center other than the punter.  I am 96.32 % sure of this.