So what if the Bills don't trade up or go QB?

kota

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is a fireable offense. 

This OFFSEASON has been ALL about getting that QB

I dont think it is a fireable offense if no team in the top 5 is willing to deal unless the Bills give away their whole draft this year or first and second next year. It isnt like Beane is sitting doing nothing. I am sure he will run all the trade demands by Pegula so they are on the same page. I think it would be more of a fireable offense if they move up into the second spot to get their guy and it turns out he isnt any good in a couple years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You guys are nuts. I'm sure Beane will try like hell to move up. But if the price to pay is too much, he'll stay put, as he should. Two first round picks could be huge. Not "franchise QB" huge of course, but nobody knows if this current crop of QBs are anyway!

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

If they can't trade up get the best QB still  available  , rebuild and maybe trade for Foles later in the season. Should have drafted Mahomes or Watson if this does happen.

That's a reasonable assessment , and would be fair criticism. They had  choices last year and took option C. 

8 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont think it is a fireable offense if no team in the top 5 is willing to deal unless the Bills give away their whole draft this year or first and second next year. It isnt like Beane is sitting doing nothing. I am sure he will run all the trade demands by Pegula so they are on the same page. I think it would be more of a fireable offense if they move up into the second spot to get their guy and it turns out he isnt any good in a couple years. 

Exactly this.  Except for 2004 which was an outlier because of its quality, drafts with 4 QBs going in the first round since 2000 (2003, 2011, and 2012) have yielded only 4 hits among the 12 first rounders (Palmer, Newton, Luck, and Tannehill).  Even the 3 successful first rounders from 2004 only raise that to 7/16 which is less than 50%, and the three successes from 2004 were significantly better prospects than the top guys this year.

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

It would be apparent he is on the 3 year and out plan. 

He must find a qb, his and McDermotts job depends on it. 

What if there isn't one to be found???  Sorry, but drafting a QB in the first round doesn't guarantee that he'll be successful.  Not only were both Losman and Manuel failures for the Bills but so were top ten picks David Carr, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, JaMarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Robert Griffin III for other teams.

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That's a reasonable assessment , and would be fair criticism. They had  choices last year and took option C. 

Since Mahomes and Watson have played all of 8 NFL games combined, it's a bit early to declare them successes.  Both of these players had significant question marks about how they would adapt to the pro game.  Now, one or both may turn out great or really lousy.  Come back in a couple of years to see if passing on either of them was a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Since Mahomes and Watson have played all of 8 NFL games combined, it's a bit early to declare them successes.  Both of these players had significant question marks about how they would adapt to the pro game.  Now, one or both may turn out great or really lousy.  Come back in a couple of years to see if passing on either of them was a mistake. 

Not my point at all. Even if the Bills go QB in this draft or had in the last, it will take some time before the verdict is in. It's not even if those p,ayers could be called successes right now. Rather, that passing on QB last year AND this would leave the team with no highly touted prospect at the position. That would be an abject failure. Eveb trading for Foles would be a better scenario than having little potential for the future at the all important QB spot. It simply unthinkable to consider the OPs scenario of no move up and no round 1 QB as anything less right now. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

It is a fireable offense. 

This OFFSEASON has been ALL about getting that QB

What if nobody in the top 5 is willing to part ways with their pick?

Do you give up this draft and a 2019 1st rounder for it?

There has to be a limit man. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

What if nobody in the top 5 is willing to part ways with their pick?

Do you give up this draft and a 2019 1st rounder for it?

There has to be a limit man. 

I would pay up for 70 percent Premium. 

Yes Picks are picks. Big deal if they are used to get up for your QB 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills could have a really good roster if they keep all their picks, but without a QB I'm not sure it matters. 

The Bills need to figure out how to get one of the top 4 QBs. That's the goal this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

There’s not too many combinations at 12/22 that I would be mad at.

Obviously I want Beane to do what it takes to get one of the top 4, but I don’t want him to be played by the Giants or anyone either.

If no QB in round one, my favorite 12/22 picks would be...

Vea/Edmunds/Smith at 12

and

Evans/Vander Esch at 22

Edited by CajunBillsBacker