If we were to trade up, when would it happen?

I believed that it would have been soon, especially after the owners' meetings and the last of the QB pro days. However, the Redskins and Eagles, to name a couple, didn't trade until mid-April, so I believe that it will happen then. If not, then it will be the night of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

On the clock. Know your guy is there. 

yep--the only correct answer.

2 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

I suppose if there is only 1 guy you would give up that much for you would make sure the Browns don't pick him first. I'm kinda getting sick of the Browns already.

you know they are gonna screw it up though..

• Haha (+1) 1

If it ever got to a point where a trade was agreed upon for #1 or #2, it better happen immediately.

Otherwise, if it is for any other pick, it won't happen until the pick that we are trading for is no the clock.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think if you're going to go up to #2, can happen early and maybe the early the better so no other team can beat you to it.  If lower than #2 then wait till on the clock to make sure guy you want is still there.

I think people forget this. The 4 qbs are not be equal in the eyes of any of the teams. They don't want Darnold or Rosen or Allen or Barkley, they want their guy. So if their guy is taken, then they may move to plan B and take a different player on their board. So the QBs may not go 1,2,3,5, like many are predicting.

I still think the Bills need to move up so they can get their guy though. 

It will happen when a team willing to make a move back to #12 is willing to accept what the Bills offered them. It's out of the Bills hands mostly. They have to wait. A move to pick #2 could be done pre draft. Perhaps even days or weeks before. There is enough certainty ( 3 out of 4 QBs available ) for that move to make sense pre draft. Anything further back than 2 probably happens during the early stages of round one. The Bills would have to wait and see which players come off the board to determine a target pick. It could be 4, 5 or 6. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think if you're going to go up to #2, can happen early and maybe the early the better so no other team can beat you to it.  If lower than #2 then wait till on the clock to make sure guy you want is still there.

Agreed.  And, I don't think we are going to #2.  

To answer the original post, I think we trade up with one of the following....

#6 Indianapolis

#7 Tampa Bay

#8 Chicago - I think this is a sweet spot - Chicago has Trubisky and needs a lot to round out the team.  This good be a good draft and off season for the Bears.  I see them trading back

#9 San Fran - I think San Fran stays put, but, we don't know how or have much data on Lynch handling drafts and San Fran doesn't need a QB.  #9 is a nice place to pick in most drafts.  Usually a top 5 guys falls there and it is usually a potential blue chip prospects..  I think they stay at #9.  But, moving back 3 places with the Bills isn't too much

I think there will be more trades in this draft in the top 5, 10 and 15 than almost any year.  Positioning jockeying will occur.  IMHO.

Edited by Manther
  • Like (+1) 1

If we trade into the top 4, I hope it happens soon.  If we trade into 5+ I hope it happens during the draft.  Trading to 5+ Prior to the draft still leaves other teams an opportunity to trade the house to get ahead of us.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we trade into the top 4, I hope it happens soon.  If we trade into 5+ I hope it happens during the draft.  Trading to 5+ Prior to the draft still leaves other teams an opportunity to trade the house to get ahead of us.  

I do NOT want to trade into the #4 spot unitl the #4 spot is on the clock.  That is something that can easily be worked out prior to the draft.  Essentially, it will be 50/50 if our guy is there at #4 or not.  So, it can be decided before draft day on compensation and if our guy is there at #4, we see if Cleveland is still down to trade with our previous compensation.  Maybe a quick haggle on a later pick.  Since they will already have their QB they also will have less moving parts.  

Edited by Manther

Maybe someone can answer this, as I'm not really sure -

Has any team ever traded up to the #3 overall pick this far out from the draft before (about 6 weeks) like the Jets just did? 

I cant remember it happening before but I may just be forgetting... 

26 minutes ago, sven233 said:

If it ever got to a point where a trade was agreed upon for #1 or #2, it better happen immediately.

Otherwise, if it is for any other pick, it won't happen until the pick that we are trading for is no the clock.

I agree.  I know I'm impatient as they come, but I just feel like if we are indeed going to number 2 and its for one guy they have in particular, GIVE THE DAMN PICKS and get in the number 2 spot. I feel like the longer we wait, the lesser chance we'll have of getting our guy. 

29 minutes ago, Manther said:

I do NOT want to trade into the #4 spot unitl the #4 spot is on the clock.  That is something that can easily be worked out prior to the draft.  Essentially, it will be 50/50 if our guy is there at #4 or not.  So, it can be decided before draft day on compensation and if our guy is there at #4, we see if Cleveland is still down to trade with our previous compensation.  Maybe a quick haggle on a later pick.  Since they will already have their QB they also will have less moving parts.  

That’s assuming we like ONE guy.  What if we like all 4?

22 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I agree.  I know I'm impatient as they come, but I just feel like if we are indeed going to number 2 and its for one guy they have in particular, GIVE THE DAMN PICKS and get in the number 2 spot. I feel like the longer we wait, the lesser chance we'll have of getting our guy. 

And what happens if you move up to #2 now and Cleveland picks that ONE particular guy? Take someone at 2 you might have been able to get at picks 4-8?

And what if they already talked to the Giants about what they might want and they said there is ONE particular guy we want..call us back after we see who Cleveland picked.

Edited by slaphappy

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s assuming we like ONE guy.  What if we like all 4?

Agreed, grading the QBs vs the others and more importantly vs the QBs over the last 20 years is most important!

I guess if we like 4 QBs we could make the move.  However, if we like 4 QBs (we have the most ammo) we could probably wait to see the QBs come off the board and give up less capital!  We could probably trade up when the 3rd comes off the board.  But, should at least trade up when the 2nd comes off the board to avoid an issue where the team on the clock won't trade with us.  So, essentially, the 4th spot would be when 2 QBs are off the board maybe 3.  So, I guess that thought process proves you correct.

At lot of moving parts.  All that I know is the grading of the QBs is most important, we have the most draft capital and we must get our guy!

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Maybe someone can answer this, as I'm not really sure -

Has any team ever traded up to the #3 overall pick this far out from the draft before (about 6 weeks) like the Jets just did? 

I cant remember it happening before but I may just be forgetting... 

I don't have the answer, but it's a very good question you bring up.  They must have QB at 1, 2, and 3 on their board and they don't mind settling for the last option of the 3.   To me there's SUCH a huge difference between 2 and 3, particularly this year, I guess they tried to get to 2 but the Giants wouldn't do business with their roommate?  That's the only thing can think of.  I